Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Minuteman opponents rally

Excuse me? They are worried about using taxpayer money? What about the taxpayer money that organizations like LULAC amd Maldef get via grants, etc.? Give me a break!

http://www.yakima-herald.com/page/dis/287343015313277

Published on Wednesday, October 25, 2006

By ELOÍSA RUANO GONZÁLEZ
    YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC

GORDON KING/Yakima Herald-Republic

Miguel Rodriguez, left, listens in as Tony Sandoval whispers to Maria Cuevas before the start of a news conference. The three immigration rights advocates Tuesday denounced a decision allowing the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps to meet at the Selah Civic Center. "I object to their being able to meet in a public venue paid for by citizens," Cuevas said.
    Fearing possible violence, civil-rights abuses and improper use of taxpayer money, local immigration rights activists reiterated their opposition Tuesday to Selah's decision to allow the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps to meet in the Selah Civic Center starting in November.

Members of Águila del Norte-Yakima, a legal observation organization, and representatives of other activist groups announced their objections during a noontime news conference at St. Michael's Episcopal Church.

"I fear for my safety," said Yakima's Tony Sandoval, founder of the Washington State Democratic Party Latino Caucus. "I don't want anybody to get hurt."

Initially, the board that oversees the civic center denied a request by the local chapter of the Minutemen to meet in the building. But after pressure from Selah city officials, the board reversed itself last week and granted the group meeting space. The Minutemen, part of a national organization that sponsors citizen patrols of U.S. borders, plan to hold their first meeting in Selah on Nov. 12.

Águila del Norte-Yakima spokeswoman Maria Cuevas said she isn't disputing the Minutemen's constitutional rights to free speech or assembly, but she questioned whether citizens should pay to house such a group in a publicly owned building like the center.

She also said she's worried that other people's constitutional rights -- including protection against unreasonable searches and seizures and rights to due process -- could be at risk if the group is allowed to meet in Selah.

"When private citizens take the laws into their hands, there's a real potential for violence and abuse," Cuevas said.

The Minutemen already hold regular meetings on private property in Whatcom County, a state spokesman for the group said Tuesday -- and he said they don't understand the "hullabaloo" over the planned monthly meetings in Selah.

"We're just trying to get organized there because we've opened up a new chapter in Yakima," said Hal Washburn. "I guess they'd be happy if we were denied our civil rights.

"I don't know why -- we're all Americans. We just don't like the fact that our government doesn't do anything to protect our borders during a time of open war."

* Reporter Rod Antone contributed to this story.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

"I fear for my safety," said Yakima's Tony Sandoval, founder of the Washington State Democratic Party Latino Caucus. "I don't want anybody to get hurt."
    Gotta love the implied threats. The only safety issues I've seen on
    film are patriotic Americans engaged in peaceful protest at risk from violent
    illegal immigration activists.

They are the only ones who use violence as an intimidation method. I haven't been to a rally yet where these people were nor the ones that police were hauling off to jail. Anti-illegal groups are for the law, and therefore are law abiding.

Incidently, if you are ever at a rally like this, be sure to thank the police officers. Let's remember, they are just doing their job. Many I have spoken to are on our side and agree with us. They know what will happen if these people tkae ove - anarchy!
    D.W.

exactly..

They love to lie and twist facts.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

" I object to their being able to meet in a public venue paid for by citizens." Cuevas said.
    I bet these same people are all for citizens paying for Day Labor meeting sites.
    American Citizens have paid dearly for the right to express themselves, freely and in public.

http://www.yakima-herald.com/page/dis/354061564517122

Published on Thursday, February 1, 2007
    Minutemen say publicity draws more members
    By ROD ANTONE
    YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC

Protesters' efforts to warn the public about the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps' November meeting in Selah may have backfired, the group says.

News coverage of the Nov. 12 gathering drew at least a dozen new faces to the Minutemen's December meeting at the Selah Civic Center, the new spokesman for the Western Washington chapter said Wednesday.

The spokesman, Bruce Lloyd, said he was among those who showed up for the second meeting to learn more about the group and ended up joining.

At the Minutemen's first meeting in Selah, immigrant rights demonstrators rallied across the street from the civic center while Minuteman supporters lined up opposite them along First Street. About 60 people went into the meeting, organizers said, but verbal sparring outside only added to the Minutemen's numbers when the group reassembled in December, said Lloyd, a former on-air personality for Yakima's KIT-AM radio station.

"That (November) meeting brought in quite a few new members," he said. "A lot of people didn't like what went on.

"From what I saw on the news, the Minutemen kept their cool and conducted an organized meeting, but the protesters were out of control."

Anti-Minuteman protesters said despite the benefits the Minutemen apparently derived from local TV, radio and newspaper coverage, the demonstration was important in that it let the community know what was happening.

"Definitely no regrets," said Maria Cuevas, a member of the group Aguila del Norte and an intercultural communications instructor at Yakima Valley Community College. "What we saw was dangerous was the insertion of their rhetoric, which was not based upon any empirical data ... that's why we were there."

According to the Minuteman Web site, the group is dedicated to helping the U.S. Border Patrol keep tabs on illegal activity by acting as voluntary eyes and ears along the border. Immigrant rights organizations have countered that the Minutemen harass undocumented immigrants and promote a "racist" agenda, Cuevas said.

One such example, she said, was before the Kennewick City Council, where Minutemen showed up in December to support a proposed ordinance that would have punished landlords who rent to undocumented immigrants. The ordinance failed.

Hal Washburn, volunteer coordinator for the Bellingham-based Western Washington Minuteman Chapter, said the organization plans other public events, including a counter-protest against an immigration rights demonstration planned for Feb. 10 at the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma. Washburn also said Minuteman organizers from Arizona -- where the group originated -- plan on coming to Washington this month to help organize new chapters. Washington currently has two Minuteman chapters, in Yakima and Bellingham.

"We have members scattered all over the place and it's difficult to get together because of distance involved and we're encouraging people to open up local chapters," Washburn said.

Cuevas said no further protests are planned at future Minutemen meetings or events. However, she said Aguila del Norte and other groups like it are watching the Minutemen just as they watch the border.

"We're keeping our eyes open, but our focus right now is educating the community," she said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What a bunch of hooey!! I bet that we are more afraid than they are...who is helping us?

Quote Originally Posted by Neese
    What a bunch of hooey!! I bet that we are more afraid than they are...who is helping us?
    They have definitely shown their more violent, If the rally we pretty much leave them alone, but look what happens when we rally, it always amazes me!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)