http://www.timescommunity.com/site/tab9 ... 9538&rfi=6

Minutemen boss: vote for change
By: Jason Peck
12/13/2006

George Taplin has one message for elected officials: Get tough on illegal immigration or get out.

On Thursday, Dec. 7, the Director of the Virginia chapter of the Minutemen Civil Defense Corps warned them about Herndon. There, five out of seven council members lost their jobs over a day labor site.

"When we started in Herndon, we were laughed at," Taplin said. "In October of last year the mayor of Herndon called me insignificant. I still have a job, he doesn't."

About 35 residents of Culpeper and the surrounding areas gathered at the veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2524 for the Minutemen's first meeting in Culpeper, after local residents requested an appearance. Taplin called it as a shift toward town hall meetings for the organizations best known for patrolling the Mexican border.

But local regime politicians never strayed as a topic. Throughout, Taplin pointed to officials such as Mayor Pranas Remeikis, Delegate Ed Scott, Police Chief Dan Boring and Congressman Eric Cantor who declined his invitation.

Councilman Steve Jenkins, who started a push against illegal immigration in Culpeper, appeared. Supervisors Larry Aylor (Cedar Mountain District) and Steve Nixon (West Fairfax District) also made an appearance.

Taplin said the group could do nothing about immigration. Instead, the meeting would help citizens alleviate the harmful effects of illegal immigration.

And Taplin listed many effects: Overcrowding in schools, gangs, drugs and prostitution. He claimed that illegal immigration was a major reason for an increase in teen crime, and touched on hygiene issues.

"One of the biggest problems we had in Herndon, people doing their morning constitution on the front lawn because they're so drunk they can't find their own house," Taplin said.

Throughout, he attacked the label of racist, claiming that he was against illegal residents of all races and backgrounds.

"Being a racist, if anyone here is, is not illegal. I can walk around free and be as racist or as bigoted as I want, or don't want, it's still not illegal. On the other hand, illegal aliens - the word "illegal should give you a clue as to what they're doing.

"Of course, a lot of the joke going around," he added, "'racist' is a Spanish word for any American who wants to see the law enforced."

The meeting also featured Sandra Gunn, a representative of the immigration group Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR). She pointed to legislation that supporters intended to introduce in the General Assembly this January, including:

Makes it unlawful to live in Virginia if not a legal resident.

Requires worker compensation for all workers, regardless of legal status, and allows illegal immigrants to collect it they return to their home country.

Requires schools to request proof of lawful status, although it would not deny service.

Allows US worker to sue for unfair discharge if replaced with an illegal.

Councilman Steve Jenkins appeared.

"I know the people of this community, and they're feeling as though they're worn out," Jenkins said. "They've talked, they've said it, they've written letters, and all they're getting is 'you know what, you're not a part of the group we want to represent' and it's just fallen on deaf ears."

"I have a good question for you," Taplin replied. "How did the current town council get re-elected?"

"That's a good question," Jenkins responded. "There's a lot of individuals I would like to see run for our elected offices locally, they've pretty much told me, 'Thanks, Steve, but no thanks.'"

The meeting brought only one critic. Rev. Habacuc Diaz-Lopez of Primera Iglesia Bautista Maranatha questioned the impact negative impact of Hispanics in Culpeper.

"Day laborers are probably 50 persons," Diaz said, "and only 10 of them are hired. So you're talking about 10 Hispanics."

Diaz also questioned Taplin's comment that Hispanic children aren't vaccinated when they enroll, and said the proposed legislation would hinder him from his Christia outreach. Taplin called for Diaz to help Hispanics adopt a Christian lifestyle.

"Get the people, the legal resident, the legal Hispanic residents of this community to assimilate to our culture, not the other way around," Taplin said. "And you won't find any hate and discontent, you'll find people embracing you. We live here because we want our culture, not yours."

Taplin later criticized the reverend for leaving early, and urged more discourse. He also took aim at Lopez's Christian stance on the issue.

"Being a Christian is doing what's right, even when nobody's looking," Taplin said. "But the Christian that you're going to find south of the border, the philosophy is more like: 'do what's right while people are looking.' All bets are off when people turn away. They're bringing that attitude with them."

You may contact Jason Peck at 825-9882 or e-mail jpeck@culpepercitizen.com