Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Minutemen road adoption is publicity stunt

By: Stephen Sabetti
    Posted: 1/28/08
    In late November, the San Diego Minutemen received permission to participate in the Adopt-A-Highway road-cleanup program. They now are responsible for maintaining the stretch of highway around the San Clemente Border Patrol.

Seriously.

Jeff Schwilk, founder of the group, said, "We're community activists. We are normal people. That is all we do, improve our community."

This seems fair. They are like you and me, concerned with doing their part to make things better for the rest of us. Granted, their idea of improving their community is harassing illegal immigrants, but you say "To-mato," I say, "Tom-ato."

Except, in an e-mail written to members, Schwilk wrote, "How great is that?! Our large sign is about a 1/2 a mile before the truck scales and is clearly visible as you drive by!"

It would seem that Schwilk is, at once, both a humble servant of the people and an enthusiastic self-promoter. Really, though, what do we expect from him? He is the leader of a group that has been tagged as extremist by the Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center. A stunt like this is par for the course.

But what about Caltrans?

Webster's Dictionary defines "coincidence" as the occurrence of events that happen at the same time by accident but seem to have some connection. And that's the official word from Caltrans on the situation. It would seem that the stretch around the checkpoint was the only one available at the time of the Minutemen's application.

What a strange string of events to happen at the same time. An anti-illegal immigration organization would randomly apply to Adopt-A-Highway and the only thing available at the time was the two-miles that the San Clemente Border Patrol checkpoint lies on. That is fortuitous, to say the least.

Schwilk said that they were hoping to get a stretch on Route 78 but were given the Border Patrol road, which is on the I-5. This is akin to arriving at the airport, coach class ticket in hand, only to be told that the flight has been oversold and that the airline is offering you a free upgrade to first class.

Everyone hopes to be pampered behind the curtain, enjoying the leg room and the martini glasses of milk, but most of us won't live this dream. The Minutemen are living theirs, though.

The Caltrans guidelines state "entities that advocate violence, violation of the law, or discrimination based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical handicap, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, or sexual orientation may not participate in the Adopt-A-Highway Program."

That seems like a solid rule. A government institution should not endorse groups that promote hate and intolerance.

For the sake of argument, let's say that the search of Schwilk's home by the police, in connection with the unresolved vandalism of migrant camps, is just a mix-up.

This is still America; everyone is innocent until proven guilty. And let's say that the Minutemen's protest of a San Diego church, using an effigy of a priest with horns, is just a misunderstanding. They're not responsible for discrimination based upon race or religion.

In that case, what's the big deal? If the Minutemen want to adopt a stretch of highway, who cares, as long as they pick up the litter they're responsible for? And if Caltrans wants to allow a group that's gathered a reputation as confrontational and hostile to advertise on their dime, in a location that highlights their allegedly hateful message, that's cool, too.

Actually, now that I've put it like that, I don't even remember what the problem was in the first place.

Stephen Sabetti is a senior journalism major and a copy editor and contributing writer for the Daily Forty-Niner.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    © Copyright 2008 Daily 49er

http://media.www.daily49er.com/media/st ... 0848.shtml
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Well... Umm....
    Im not sure what I just read here
    Is some one looking for reasons to complain ?

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    And it must be working because you're writing this article!

What it is is the author bashing the minutemen. he states they advocate violence, violation of law, discrimination, group promotes hate and intolerance. Do you believe what is written?

The Caltrans guidelines state "entities that advocate violence, violation of the law, or discrimination based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical handicap, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, or sexual orientation may not participate in the Adopt-A-Highway Program."

That seems like a solid rule. A government institution should not endorse groups that promote hate and intolerance.
    Well gee let's see....The organization synonomus with Paul Revere is a "hate" group?

The minutemen are an entity that does not violate any of Caltran's guidelines. Any CITIZEN can become a member, regardless of the laundry list of discrimination points. They firmly believe in following the LAWS and are against those breaking the laws.

Some organizations DO violate Caltran's guidelines, such as Laraza (open only to one "race"- hispanics), Mecha (promotoes hate and intolerance of anyone who is not Mexican), skinheads, nazi groups, etc.

Sounds alot like whining to me. Caltran did the right thing by giving the Minutemen a highway and I applaud the Minutemen for wanting to clean up the mess.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

this makes me mad

They have a comment section shouldn't you leave one. Or are we letting pro-illegals just smear our folks.

COMMENT LEFT

perhaps the title of this thread should be changed or put in quotes because when I saw it I took it as face value that the poster didnt like the minutemen and had found an article to take them down with.
    just a suggestion.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stoptheinvasionoforegon
    perhaps the title of this thread should be changed or put in quotes because when I saw it I took it as face value that the poster didnt like the minutemen and had found an article to take them down with.
    just a suggestion.
    In keeping within the Alipac posting guidlines the title is taken from the copywrited article

There are 3 comments and I know who belongs to 2 of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast