Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MO: State's actions against illegal immig don't victimize

State's actions against illegal immigration don't victimize
    August 31, 2008

This year I signed one of the toughest laws in the nation to fight illegal immigration in Missouri. On Aug. 11, the News-Leader published a misleading column about the new law by Suzanne Brown, a member of the liberal American Immigration Lawyers Association, which must be corrected.

The subject of illegal immigration has been, and remains, a frequent topic of concern everywhere I go in Missouri. Missourians are disappointed and many are downright angry about the lack of substantive action in Washington to address this problem. However, just because the federal government has abdicated its responsibilities does not mean the state should look the other way.

Missourians welcome legal immigrants who observe the rule of law, but they demanded action to fight illegal immigration. Working with the General Assembly, we crafted a tough, comprehensive package of laws that makes clear to illegal immigrants, and those who hire and support them, that Missourians do not condone lawlessness.

First, Ms. Brown's assertion that the Missouri Highway Patrol cannot support efforts relating to illegal immigration undermines the skills and abilities of these highly trained professionals. At my direction, Missouri law enforcement is working with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for authority to enforce immigration laws as federally deputized agents. The first class of 10 Missouri law enforcement officers graduated last month, two of whom earned the valedictorian and class president spots. With these special skills, these officials can now expedite the process it takes to identify and verify that a person is an illegal immigrant and turn them over to ICE for further action.

Ms. Brown said she was concerned about racial profiling. I too was concerned about these kinds of charges as I considered my directive. This is why we ordered the verification of the immigration status of anyone presented for incarceration. Because anyone presented is required to be checked, no one should be discriminated against and no profiling should occur because of the law.

Similarly, this law does not instill mistrust or increase victimization. The new law only affects illegal immigrants and those who hire or protect them. Our action will actually reduce victimization by specifically targeting those who hire and transport illegal immigrants for exploitive purposes. Missourians want to punish the employers and predators who exploit illegal immigrants.

Second, contrary to Ms. Brown's assertions of ambiguity, the new law very clearly defines sanctuary policies as those that: 1.) limit or prohibit any municipal official or employee from communicating or cooperating with federal agencies or officials to verify or report the immigration status of an illegal, or 2.) grant illegals the right to lawful presence or status within the municipality in violation of federal law. I understand that those who wish to create sanctuary cities for illegal immigrants will not like this straightforward law, and that is precisely the point.

Third, I mandated the use of E-Verify within state government because it is a readily available, free, and easy to use method of verifying employment eligibility. E-Verify surpassed my expectations, and Missourians can be proud that state government is leading this effort in Missouri and across the nation. The new law requires all public employers to use E-Verify and anyone wishing to do business with the state must also use it. Ms. Brown called this burdensome. I do not view it as a burden to ensure Missouri tax dollars do not go to businesses that hire illegals.

Additionally, the new law which goes into effect later this month prohibits illegals from obtaining driver's licenses; allows for cancellation of state contracts for contractors if they hire illegal immigrants; requires public agencies to verify the legal status of applicants before providing welfare benefits; and enacts provisions to punish bad acting employers who hire illegal immigrants.

Ms. Brown's opposition to our efforts to fight illegal immigration in Missouri reveals that many liberals are out of touch with Missourians on this and many other issues. In Missouri, we did not wait for Washington. We took real and substantive action to protect law-abiding Missourians from the threat of illegal immigration.

Matt Blunt is governor of Missouri.
    http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 6/OPINIONS
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank-you Matt....you actually GET IT
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Gov spanked Ms. Brown so thoroughly she'll need to stand up for at least a week while she ponders the ultimate question...Where do immigration lawyers fit in the heirarchy of life?

Somewhere between...

Bacteria

and Pond Scum!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Man I wish Otter would get it.

I can tell you the Mayor of St Paul doesn't get it, I was just watching him spill his rhetoric on c-span...all of these Sanctuary cities sound alike...

It was the same old answer to a lady who called in and told him illegals and his policies are why she moved away from there But of course these politicians always know what is best for us, or is it more like whats best for the illegals
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)