Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MO:Valley Park mayor considers vetoing immigration bill

Valley Park mayor considers vetoing immigration bill

By Mary Shapiro
    Monday, July 23, 2007 2:39 PM CDT

Mayor Jeff Whitteaker is leaning toward vetoing legislation, passed July 16 by the Board of Aldermen, that would remove part of its law relating to illegal immigrants, which had banned landlords from renewing occupancy permits if they rent to those individuals.

"I have until the next board meeting on August 6 to decide if I'll veto the bill," he said.

Whitteaker said that since the laws were passed, the city has spent $89,533 on legal expenses to defend itself against various lawsuits.

He told the board, "We're nearly at the end of the bridge (with lawsuits opposing the laws). Only a small amount of additional money will be spent before the judge makes a ruling, on something could affect the whole country, and I hope we can finish this out."

The board voted 5-3 in favor of the law. John Brust, Don Carroll, Mike Pennise, Ed Walker and Mike White were in favor, while Dan Adams, Randy Helton and Steve Drake were opposed.

In June, the board approved a resolution to not pass any new laws addressing illegal immigration. However, officials will continue their legal defense of three lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of the city's existing illegal-immigration laws.

City Attorney Eric Martin said the repeal action July 16 was taken based on advice from special legal counsel "so we can concentrate on provisions of the laws affecting employers (who hire illegal immigrants)."

Pennise said that while many living outside the city have indicated they support Valley Park's efforts, "we're not getting enough help from them - and we don't have that kind of money (to continue fighting lawsuits)."

"The federal government has let us down (in not passing effective new laws or by enforcing existing ones) - and our state doesn't care," he said.

Pennise asked aldermen to consider repealing all illegal immigration laws, but the board declined.

"I'm tired of fighting and wasting money," he said.

Carroll agreed. He said, "The federal and state governments should handle this issue, not a city of 6,500 people. We can't keep up financially with those suing us, and we need to put a stop to this by getting out (of litigation) as quick and easy as possible. This is too expensive. It was a good idea, but we can't afford to continue."

White said the city's laws "were started for the right reasons.

"People tell us we're doing the right thing, but they fall away when it's time to financially support us," White said.

Resident Leo Anglo said, "It is irresponsible for the city to expose itself to such an expense. He said repealing illegal immigration laws would allow the city to focus on issues that will have more impact on the city.

Adams, while agreeing with Pennise on the lack of state and federal government help on the issue, asked, "Do we just allow illegal aliens to roam freely, unchecked?

"This issue will affect the ability of my children and grandchildren to find good-paying jobs. It will take small communities to move this issue forward."

Drake said, "This fight is paramount. It's about our community and country."

Whitteaker insisted, "I'm not a quitter, and I'd do all this again tomorrow."

You can contact Mary Shapiro at mshapiro@yourjournal.com.

http://pressjournal.stltoday.com/news/s ... al.ii1.txt

Comment section at link

Here is the link. I didn't see any comments yet.

http://pressjournal.stltoday.com/news/s ... al.ii1.txt

I would gladly let my city go bankrupt fighting illegals and the ACLU lawsuits .Maybe then the illegals would leave , When all the freebies are gone they don't seem to stick around .

I just emailed the Mayor,gave him words of encouragement and ALIPAC's addy.

Their site is www.valleyparkmo.org if you want to encourage the mayor.

I suggested he post a site to donate money for their fight as Farmers Branch has done.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Good thought USPatriot. I sent an email as well. An additional way that we might be able to show our support for these local communities is to make a special effort to patronize them whenever possible. When traveling we could stay in their city or at least buy a tank of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouveauxpoor
    Good thought USPatriot. I sent an email as well. An additional way that we might be able to show our support for these local communities is to make a special effort to patronize them whenever possible. When traveling we could stay in their city or at least buy a tank of gas.
    I agree any help we can give we should.I wish we had the resources the illegals seem to have.Do you suppose we could ask congress for a grant for "The town beautification League"?
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson