Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    Loitering applies to everyone. Force them to go elsewhere. We can't be afraid of the ACLU stepping in everytime.
    That's a message that the Elected Officals need to hear, lol. For the most part, they've proven to one and all their fear of the ACLU and like groups.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

San Marcos, Vista Leaders Mull Effects of Escondido Law

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006..._4510_5_06.txt

San Marcos, Vista leaders mull effects of Escondido law

By: DAVID FRIED and CRAIG TENBROECK - Staff Writers

NORTH COUNTY ---- One day after Escondido's City Council voted to ban landlords from renting property to illegal immigrants in the city, officials in neighboring cities had mixed reactions over the contentious decision and what it could mean to their communities.

Council members in Vista and San Marcos said Thursday that they understood the frustration over illegal immigration that drove the measure. Some called Escondido's ban unenforceable. Others said they feared an exodus of illegal immigrants from Escondido moving to their towns. None said they had plans to enact similar ordinances.

"I think it's too soon to tell what effect it's going to have on anybody," including other nearby cities, said Vista Mayor Morris Vance. Vista recently passed its own law to require employers who hire day laborers to register with the city.

Vance said, however, that he was doubtful the ordinance could be enforced.

Frank Lopez, the city of Vista's only Latino councilman, said he empathized with both sides in the illegal immigration debate, but felt Escondido's ordinance was "the wrong way to tackle it."

"I don't think it will hurt Escondido's image," he added. "But I think the three who voted for it, the next time they run, they're going to have to work awful hard."

Lopez said he wouldn't consider an Escondido-inspired renting law in Vista.

Some Escondido council members who voted for the ban said they did so because they felt the federal government was not doing enough to curb illegal immigration into the country. U.S. Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Vista, said he was doing his job trying to push through tougher immigration reforms.

He added that he tried to "minimize" his comments on how local governments are trying to deal with the issue.

"As compared to National City," he said, referring to the city's recent decision to declare itself an immigrant sanctuary, "whether you agree with what they are doing or not, at least (Escondido is) trying not to make the problem worse."

Under Escondido's rental ban, the city would require landlords allegedly renting to illegal immigrants to provide documents proving the tenants' immigration status. The city's business license division would verify the documents with federal immigration agencies. Complaints based on race, ethnicity or national origin would be discarded, according to the ordinance.

Any landlord found to be renting to illegal immigrants would face having their business license suspended, and repeat offenders would face misdemeanor charges, carrying penalties of up to $1,000 and six months in jail.

The measure passed by a 3-2 margin, and will come up for a second reading on Oct. 18. If enacted, the law would take effect 30 days later.

Some elected officials in North County are bracing for any fallout.

"I feel strongly in my gut that these people will relocate somewhere nearby where they can afford to live, and that's likely to be San Marcos and Vista," said Vista Councilman Bob Campbell.

"My fear is that if the rents are such that people can't afford their own place, they're going to find someone else to bunk in with," he added. "And then, we'll have to deal the overcrowding."

Immediately to the west, at least one San Marcos leader lamented Escondido's decision, saying it was the wrong approach to dealing with the region's immigration issues.

San Marcos Councilwoman Pia Harris-Ebert said she felt Escondido had overstepped its bounds as a municipal government and enacted legislation that it probably won't be able to enforce.

"It certainly makes Escondido noteworthy all over California," Harris-Ebert said. "I'm disturbed by that, and disturbed we are neighbors to a city that feels it is their role to do the federal government's job. Maybe they should secede from the union."

Staff writer Edward Sifuentes contributed to this report. Contact staff writer David Fried at (760) 740-5416 or dfried@nctimes.com.

Previous Story: Rental ban opponents boycott councilman's business
    Next Story: Lawsuits filed against man linked to Cunningham

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
    kc wrote on October 06, 2006 12:58 AM:"Not a bad idea Harris-Ebert, maybe Escondido should secede from the Union. The Union is doing nothing for Escondido. when you read the posts on these stories, probably 85% of the comments are pro the new ordinance. When the silent majority starts to talk, see how many more cities will adopt similar ordinances. Americans are just sick of it. These people don't even say thanks, just gimme more. A simple thank you would be nice. Fat chance. And who is that San Marcos council member kidding? She's just terrified they'll move into her city. San Marcos has enough problems of its own. "

john wrote on October 06, 2006 1:17 AM:"escondido shouldnt of done that all there gonna do is send them to the neighboring cities all escondido did was put our city on blast, we dont whant that were the hidden city.we should just leave they dont even bother there more quite and mind there own buisness.there just trying to make a living like you and i "

gimmeabreak wrote on October 06, 2006 5:05 AM:"Thanks for the great article on this subject. It's good to know that there are some rational public officials out there besides the two in Escondido - Newman and Holt Pfeiler - who can see beyond the cloud of frustration kicked up by locals, and recognize the fiscal mess that passing this Ordinance will create. Yes, the majority has tipped their hand and they'll blame the hundreds of thousands (minimum) spent on legal fees as the "ACLU's fault"- and certainly not their own - when Escondido fights and loses the battle over Constitutionality, but that's what happens when someone tries to legislate against Federal law that has existed since the end of the Civil War. If you had any doubts about the politicization of this by the Council members, ask youself why Mrs. Waldron would bring up her "School classmates killed on 9/11" as part of the rationale for supporting this ordinance. Shameful. "

Let's pass: wrote on October 06, 2006 5:33 AM:"A law saying it is illegal to be of Mexican decent. No tainted Mexican blood. That way we could ensure this country stays pure white and hard core christian just like esc wants. Sound reasonable to you?"

Dave wrote on October 06, 2006 6:13 AM:"KC hit the nail on the head. The majority polled want illegal's out. Notice I said ILLEGAL'S not legal immigrants. This is not a race issue, it is a quality of life issue for the United States. Houses and apartments were designed to handle one family, not all of the families relatives. City infrastructure is designed around this, and ignoring codes set forth by the city overtaxes systems designed to handle sewage, water, electricity, roads, police, and most importantly health care. I don't want San Diego and north county turned in that dump Tijuana. Smells down their doesn't it."

JD wrote on October 06, 2006 6:22 AM:"Escondido took a stand, similar to the stand Vista took! Each stand SHOULD send a message to our elected officials to take meaningful action to fix this problem. Harris-Ebert is just like so many that want to leave well enough alone BUT leaving it alone just encourages more of the same. Taking a hard stand encourages necessary change even if it makes us uncomfortable for a while! Good for Escondido, now let's hope they do what needs to be done to enforce the law!"

Dave wrote on October 06, 2006 6:49 AM:"KC hit the nail on the head. The majority polled want illegal's out. Notice I said ILLEGAL'S not legal immigrants. This is not a race issue, it is a quality of life issue for the United States. Houses and apartments were designed to handle one family, not all of the families relatives. City infrastructure is designed around this, and ignoring codes set forth by the city overtaxes systems designed to handle sewage, water, electricity, roads, police, and most importantly health care. I don't want San Diego and north county turned in that dump Tijuana. Smells down their doesn't it."

Businessman wrote on October 06, 2006 8:23 AM:"As an owner of a business, it is againt our country's laws for me to hire an undocumented worker. Isn't being a landlord operating a business? "

San Marcos, Vista and Oceanside wrote on October 06, 2006 9:07 AM:"Bad idea Escondido, BAD BAD BAD!!! Don't do it!!!"

Jess wrote on October 06, 2006 9:38 AM:"When you live for one day as an undocumented worker out in the fields, I am sure that your mentality might change. I say as long as the pay the rent on a monthly basis just like everyone else, I dont see the problem. If the intent is to reduce "overcrowding" and "Crime", why do we stop renting to anyone one who has a criminal offense on their records. Im sure apartment complexes would go out of business with just "docmented" people or "Americans" with criminal offenses alone."

I hate to tell you this wrote on October 06, 2006 10:10 AM:"but even the LEGAL Hispanics pack 2-3 families into a 2 bedroom condo. We have CC&R's to establish our units as single family units but every time a Hispanic family buys a condo 10 people move in and we have to get our attorney involved at a great expense to enforce the laws. We are met with foul language, hostility, and straight out threats. Lovely. We need MORE laws like Escondido and STRICTER ones!"

Note wrote on October 06, 2006 10:30 AM:"What the pro-illegal crowds fails to note is that the majority of legal voting residents want action to be taken. If the people were not for the action in Escondido, it would not be been introduced or passed. This is how the US operates by laws and not mobs. Maybe illegal immgrants should protest the deplorable conditions in Mexico that has continued for decades and seek to improve their respective contry where they can vote in a reform government. "

To Businessman: wrote on October 06, 2006 10:39 AM:"That is correct, Sir. That is why this law is simply a feel good political stunt to appease the right wing base. Doesn't mean a thing. Well, except it shows the lengths these folks will go to to stay in power."
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Boycotting Councilman's Business

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006..._0010_4_06.txt
    Rental ban opponents boycott councilman's business

By: PAUL EAKINS - Staff Writer

ESCONDIDO ---- Opponents of an ordinance approved Wednesday night by Escondido's City Council, which will ban landlords from renting to illegal immigrants, have taken the fight to Councilman Sam Abed's doorstep.

About 10 a.m. Thursday, protesters began gathering at a Mobil gas station owned by Abed at East Valley Parkway and Midway Drive as part of what they said would be a two-week boycott of the business. Organizers said the boycott will last until Oct. 18, when the City Council will make a final vote on the ordinance.

Standing on the sidewalks along both streets in front of the station, the protesters held signs that read, "Sam Abed is dividing the community" and "Owner Sam Abed is intolerant," and encouraged drivers entering the gas station not to buy gas there. Abed was one of three council members, along with Marie Waldron and Ed Gallo, to vote in favor of the measure.

"This is economics class for Mr. Abed," said Daniel Perez, a community activist who organized the boycott. "We're going to tell him this is what happens when you remove half of the people in the city."

While the protesters received many honks of support from drivers passing by, several people stopped Thursday to buy gas at Abed's business.

In fact, business has increased since the protesters began the boycott over the weekend, Abed said Thursday. He said he had received dozens of calls and e-mails from people who said they planned to buy their gas at Abed's station in support of him and the ordinance.

Abed said the protesters were exercising their democratic rights and that he wasn't bothered by the boycott, although he said the protest had little to do with his business.

"The issue is not about Sam or Sam's business, the issue is about a decision I made that is in the best interest of the city and the citizens of Escondido," Abed said.

Katie Schutz of Escondido said she decided to buy gas at the Mobil station Thursday in support of the ordinance.

"I saw the signs, and I don't even need that much gas, but I'm kind of glad everything happened the way it did," Schutz said. "I'll buy gas every day here if I need to."

However, Saul Fonseca of Escondido said he hadn't realized why the protesters were on the corner as he filled up his car's gas tank. If he had known, Fonseca said, he wouldn't have patronized the gas station because he doesn't support the ordinance.

"I don't understand these people (on the City Council). I don't understand why they don't live in peace," Fonseca said. "They (the illegal immigrants) have to go to work, but where are they going to live?"

Escondido resident Jose Duenas said as he bought gas that he doubted the ordinance would actually take effect, but that protesters should concentrate their energies elsewhere.

"I think the best way is to attack him directly over there (at City Hall), not at the gas station, because a lot of Latinos work here, too," Duenas said, adding he thought the boycott could affect the employees' jobs.

A little before noon, Perez was confronted by a man walking past who said he opposed the group's boycott and thought the council's decision had been the right one. The man, Eric, who didn't want his last name used, said he owns a condominium near the gas station and that Abed has been a responsible business owner.

"I think this is ridiculous," he said after talking to Perez. "I've lived here. I've known people that work here. This man (Abed) is not racist."

Contact staff writer Paul Eakins at (760) 740-5420 or peakins@nctimes.com.

Related stories

Escondido council approves illegal immigrant rental ban

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/10 ... 0_4_06.txt

Hundreds show up to protest or support Escondido law

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/10 ... 0_2_03.txt

Previous Story: Hamdania defendant expected to take plea deal today
    Next Story: San Marcos, Vista leaders mull effects of Escondido law

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
    Sam wrote on October 05, 2006 2:23 PM:"This sounds like the Orange County boycotts against counsel members and it back fired because the counsel members and their Minutemen started demonstration against the leaders of the demonstrations. The leasers better hide thier indentety that's for sure"

Paul wrote on October 05, 2006 2:24 PM:"I will be over to fill it up! Thanks for the free advertizing."

Robert24 wrote on October 05, 2006 2:26 PM:"I have bought my fuel from the same gas station since the '70's, but I will now be purchasing fuel from Mr. Abed's station as long as there are protesters there. This will be an economics class for Mr. Perez; we will show him what happens when you threaten to hold the legal citizens of Escondido hostage with threats and support for illegal aliens. Again, thank you Mr. Abed, and Marie Waldron and Ed Gallo for your strength and backbone in helping to cleanse Escondido of the overcrowding and illegal activity that Mr. Perez seems so proud of, and willing to protect. Maybe Mr. Perez should take his enthusiasm and great ideas down to Mexico and start on that government before he takes on ours."

An Opportunity wrote on October 05, 2006 2:27 PM:"I have often wondered why the INS doesn't use these protests as opportunites to round up all the ILLEGAL people that attend them. American citizens have the RIGHT to protest in our country - not people that are here ILLEGALLY! If these people have the will power to protest, and feel they are being "wronged" in our country by being forced to with hold our LAWS, then why don't they turn that same energy into fighting for civil rights in their OWN country? I WANT MY COUNRTY BACK, and obviously, by the overwhelming majority of comments on this blog - everyone does! Hold tough Sam!"

Patriot wrote on October 05, 2006 2:27 PM:"Wasn't aware he owned that business. I'll be by there soon to fill up."

Former Resident wrote on October 05, 2006 2:29 PM:"If I still lived there, I would head over to Mr. Abed's Mobile and buy a tank of gas and a bag of munchies right now. Go Sam! Esco needs you."

Fred wrote on October 05, 2006 2:37 PM:"ooooooooooooooooo protesters !!! how about a big B...D. I'll be filling up at that station first chance I get"

Thats Nice wrote on October 05, 2006 2:44 PM:"The article has been relayed to the Radio Talk Shows. "

crazyone wrote on October 05, 2006 2:49 PM:"Dear Mr. Abed, please rest assured that although they may protest. You have many people who are backing you. You have many loyal customers. We know you aren't a racist. It only goes to show how ignorance can be misleading."

TODAY AS OUR POPULATION REACHES 300 MILLION wrote on October 05, 2006 2:55 PM:"The United States is welcoming to legal immigrants. Illegal aliens are not immigrants by definition. The U.S. accepts more lawful immigrants every year than the rest of the world combined. Although some illegal aliens enter this country for a better life, there are 6 billion people on this planet. At least 1 billion of those live on less than one dollar a day. If wanting a better life is a valid excuse to break the law and sneak into America, then let's allow those one billion to come to America and we'll turn the USA into a Third World nation overnight. Besides, there are 280 million native born Americans who want a better life. The nation's population has nearly doubled since 1950, and the count is expected to hit 300 million in October, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. By 2050, the figure is projected to top 419 million. As the U.S. population increases, the link between population and the country's environmental capacity – its water supply, farmland, fisheries and other natural resources is becoming increasingly strained. What is racist about wanting secure borders and a secure America? What is racist about not wanting people to sneak into America and steal benefits we have set aside for legal aliens, senior citizens, children and other legal residents? What is it about race that entitles people to violate our laws, steal identities, and take the American Dream without paying the price?"

fedup wrote on October 05, 2006 2:56 PM:"Sure, the pro-illegal crowd, which includes ILLEGALS, will stoop to this level as they have no legal avenue to do anything else! Thank you to Sam Abed for having the common sense and backbone to vote the only way that will protect the LEGAL residents of this country! We need to return the favor and buy products from Mr. Abeds' business as the mr dan perez has his "economics" class mixed up with his "legal" class. Come on, wveryone keep the "pro-legal" movment going! "

esteban wrote on October 05, 2006 2:57 PM:"Where is this station???? I will buy my gas there from now on...even if it's too far to drive!!!!!"

AResident wrote on October 05, 2006 3:01 PM:""This is economics class for Mr. Abed," said Daniel Perez, a community activist who organized the boycott. "We're going to tell him, this is what happens when you remove half of the people in the city." In an ealier article. The Hispanic population was 42% in Escondido. Is Perez saying the 21% of the Hispanic population is Illegal? If so, the INS better get busy. That's alot of illegal's if that is true. Most of them don't drive anyway. "

NATIONAL CITY WANTS YOUR BUSINESS wrote on October 05, 2006 3:02 PM:"National City: The self proclaimed "Illegal Alien Sanctuary city" Wants your business. Also as of this week they have the highest Sales tax of any city in San Diego County. National City sales tax rose this week to 8.75%."

Gary in Murrieta wrote on October 05, 2006 3:05 PM:"Even though I live in Murrieta, I will stop at Mr. Abed's Gas Station for a fill up this week. You see both sides can play this game, as boycotts almost never work. "

Go figure wrote on October 05, 2006 3:06 PM:"What a cheap shot against Mr. Abed. If you have issues with the city council, go protest at city hall. This is totally chicken and creepy."

Kathy wrote on October 05, 2006 3:07 PM:"I won't put that racist gas in my tank; hatred is bad business. "

Turn on your neighbor wrote on October 05, 2006 3:08 PM:"and what kind of name is Abed? "

Gas Station Owner wrote on October 05, 2006 3:11 PM:"Dear everyone...I also own a gas station in town. I support the ban. Can you please protest an front of my station so the news can photograph my store???????"

Mike wrote on October 05, 2006 3:11 PM:"thanks for letting us know this is Sam's station. I'll be over after work to fill 'er up!!"

Bill wrote on October 05, 2006 3:17 PM:"I will go out of my way to buy gas there."

Escondido wrote on October 05, 2006 3:21 PM:"I know where I will be filling up from now on! ESCONDIDO ROCKS!!!"

I don't believe: wrote on October 05, 2006 3:23 PM:"There are enough knuckle heads in esc to keep his business alive. Good luck."

Matt wrote on October 05, 2006 3:23 PM:"Fred's comment is funny. It reveals a strange hypocrisy. Republicans have a long tradition of hating all "protestors", because they normally associate protests with environmentalists or animal rights activists, etc. But of course the Minutemen are protestors! "

grayfox1930 wrote on October 05, 2006 3:28 PM:"It is too bad there are not more clear thinking Americans. This invastion of our country will destroy us and the OPEN BORDER crowd are too stupid to see the writing on the wall. I wish we had some like you in Oregon but maybe when Ron Saxtion becomes Governor and retires Governor Colonoscopy we too will return to sanity. Keep it up and step it up"

Angela wrote on October 05, 2006 3:31 PM:"I am proud of Mr. Abed. He is working for the voting citizens, as it should be. I definitly will be filling up at his station. "

To Esteban wrote on October 05, 2006 3:32 PM:"I too am buying all of my gas and my families gas at this station!"

I just hope they wrote on October 05, 2006 3:35 PM:"have enough sense to not block the driveways. It could be the ole Vista jail is going to be standing room only tonight!"

Citizen wrote on October 05, 2006 3:37 PM:"From what I'm seeing, most of the anger and hatred that is dividing our communities is coming from the protesters. They use spiteful words like "racist" with the specific goal of generating an emotional response and turning us against each other. We have become so politically correct and afraid of offending anyone that we are expected to back down anytime somebody plays the race card. How about we play the law card. If you are here illegally, you are a criminal. If you harbor illegals, you are aiding and abetting. I'm not a racist, but I am a law abiding citizen and expect my elected officials to be the same. Way to go Sam Abed and the Escondido City council - "

Need Gas wrote on October 05, 2006 3:41 PM:"I Have a Motorhome and a SUV, I will start getting my GAS at Sam's business starting today. I will go out of my way and waste fuel in order to buy Gas from Sam. Way to Go Sam."

American by Birth...Patriot by Choice wrote on October 05, 2006 3:45 PM:"Way to go protesters...thanks for pointing this out to me...now I have a new station to fill up at and will make the drive across town to do it...I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK!"

Concerned wrote on October 05, 2006 3:47 PM:"What really scares me is how may people don't get it. Look at Kathy here, back to the hatred and racist propaganda. Do they even examine the facts? This is not a merky, gray area folks. Look at the numbers (fiscal and population). Does Kathy and her ilk really want to live in a third world country? It's like that poster: "I see stupid people...I see stupid people everywhere...most of them don't even know they are stupid. "

Sam I will drive across town wrote on October 05, 2006 3:48 PM:"and pay MORE to fill up at your gas station. AND I will tell everyone else to also!!!!! GO TEAM!!!!"

Yes! wrote on October 05, 2006 3:48 PM:"I am going straight there after work to fill up! Thank you Mr Abed. I certainly would not vote for anyone who puts the "rights" of illegals before the rights of there own countrymen. "

Lynda wrote on October 05, 2006 3:49 PM:"Illegal aliens have rights? Every time someone throws a protest involving illegal aliens it shines needed light on this out of control situation. Do you really think showing up on a street corner with homemade signs is helping you?"

RWB wrote on October 05, 2006 3:54 PM:"How dumb can they get? Illegals don't own cars or have a drivers license or have insurance, if they did. Sam should go out there and thank the protestors for the free publicity they're giving him..All I've got to say is, "Fill'um up." My gas station from now on."

GasGuzzler wrote on October 05, 2006 4:05 PM:"After finding about this, my wife and I took both of our gas-guzzling SUVs over to Mr. Abed's station for fill-ups. It's sad that the people protesting this issue don't realize that this ordinance protects THEM from exploitation. Thank you, Mr. Abed, for protecting our city by standing up and supporting the people in Escondido who pay taxes and vote !"

Ch 10 Exposes Abed wrote on October 05, 2006 4:08 PM:"I heard ch 10 did a story about Sam Abed the great protector of Escondido hiring illegal immigrants to work on his property. Hmmmmm...."

Go Escondido wrote on October 05, 2006 4:17 PM:"I am so happy to see how many people support this rental ban, I will buy all my gas at Mr. Abeds gas station from now on. Yeah Go Escondido I'm proud to be a resident. "

Advertistment Heaven wrote on October 05, 2006 4:19 PM:"Sam, you couldn't of bought better advertisment if you tried! Keep up the good work!"

Tim from Vista wrote on October 05, 2006 4:25 PM:"I just filled my truck last night at Costco in Vista. 25 gallons. As soon as I'm out I'll be heading to Sam's station. Deportation, si se puede ! NO MAS AQUI !"

Concerned wrote on October 05, 2006 4:26 PM:"What a screwed up time we live in. We can't trust the government, we can't trust the media, we can't trust anything we see or hear in campaign ads. Especially those from organized labor. And, we certainly, obviously, can't trust a bunch of idiotic Americans who think they are doing the right thing for humanity. "

Why wrote on October 05, 2006 4:27 PM:"is it everything the illegals do back fires? Not only them now we have the Mexican Government saying relations will be very cold with the U.S., oops does that mean you don't want the Yankee tourist dollar? "

morty wrote on October 05, 2006 4:28 PM:"who are the people protesting cant be illegas. they dont drive ??"

I just got back from Sam's wrote on October 05, 2006 4:33 PM:"I came home from work and was planning on filling up on my way to work tomorrow. I drove across town and filled up. I will tell EVERYONE to do the same! Just DO IT!"

hello wrote on October 05, 2006 4:35 PM:"i will not be going there i rather go to a gas station in my ghetto , and i am an american citizen and i have no problems with my nieghbors....mexican or not... we are here to work and survive for what we want and have , with two jobs i have no time for dumb games.... i really think escondido will lose alt of income if this law passes we will really escondido {hidden} desert...."

To Morty wrote on October 05, 2006 4:40 PM:"Wake up! Yes they do drive, w'out licenses, w'out insurance! Not having documents didn't stop them from coming here, it sure as hell won't stop them from driving illegally."

Gas guzzler wrote on October 05, 2006 4:41 PM:"Sam, I'll be by after work to fill up.....My neighbor has a motor home.......he's coming tomorrow.....As with May 1 , this will backfire on them big time, If it hasn't already they will soon be resorting to violence. Thats what scares me. I'll spread the word, the line will wrap around the block. Buy Gas at Sam Abeds gas station!!!"

morty wrote on October 05, 2006 4:42 PM:"I DIDNOT KNOW MR.ABED OWNED MOBIL I WILL BE THERE TO GET GAS. THANKS AGAAIN TO THE 3 BRAVE PEOPLE ON CITY COUNCIL.SAD DAY WHEN WE NEED 2BODYGUARDS IN OUR TOWN..TO FEEL SAFE."

Rachel wrote on October 05, 2006 4:42 PM:"Well Mr.abed there are more mexicans in this city,and i know thousands of mexicans who used to pump gas there so you will be loosing alot of money!!! "

Rachel wrote on October 05, 2006 4:45 PM:"Well, Mr.Abed there are more mexicans in this city and i know many of them who pump gas there, so you will be loosing alot of money!!"

Fed Up with Illegals wrote on October 05, 2006 4:46 PM:"I will be filling up at Sam's place from now on! Go back to wherever you came from "illegals" - that means, NOT legal!"

L.C. wrote on October 05, 2006 4:47 PM:"I applaud the hard work Abed, Gallo & Waldron have done. I live in San Marcos, but will be purchasing my gas from Mr. Abed's station anytime I'm in Escondido. Keep up the good work & be proud to be an AMERICAN."

Undocumented Accusations! wrote on October 05, 2006 5:01 PM:"The hiring story is on the 10NEWS web site. "Lorenzo admitted he has no proof, but Perez hopes the community and Abed are listening." Here we have undocumented aliens making undocumented accusations. Mexican politics have crossed the border!"

All ears: wrote on October 05, 2006 5:05 PM:" I want to hear the illegals say they are fed up and heading back to Mexico!"

"My Town" wrote on October 05, 2006 5:06 PM:"Hooray for Marie, Ed & Sam, our three brave council people…boo to Lori & Newman…we'll be filling up at Sam's from now on!!"

Latina wrote on October 05, 2006 5:12 PM:"Wow!!! Have you Americans thought about what will happen if they do pass that law or any law that effects illegal immigrants? I bet you haven't because you guys are happy right know, because you think thats the solution to your problems. But you know what that is NOT in fact it WILL BE more problems to all of you because Latinos are the bigger consumers in California mostly anywhere. Bussiness will go out. Especially the ones that own apartments and do rent to immigrants. You all know dam well that Latinos ARE # 1. AND TO ALL THE PROTESTERS GOOD JOB. STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU THINK IS RIGHT. DONT LET A LAZY RACE CALLED WHITE AMERICANS PUT YOU DOWN CAUSE YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN THEY THINK. ONLY GOD KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN AND THE PUNISHMENT THEY WILL FACE!!! VIVAN LOS LATINOS!!!!!!!!!"

messcondido wrote on October 05, 2006 5:13 PM:"Let me be precise. I will not buy anything (gas, 7-11, groceries) in Escondido until the 3 racists on the city council are out there in the fields picking strawberries with all the other white people. You guys want a war? You got it. Those Minutemen guys last night were so full of hate - made me feel like I was in a history book in 1938 Germany."

Gregory wrote on October 05, 2006 5:17 PM:"what's the big deal about? Illegally here aliens shouldn't be able to work (enforced by employer) or live (enforced by landlord). So What? come into MY country legally or stay in yours and make it as great as MY country (you had your chances and LOST). "

Jim wrote on October 05, 2006 5:18 PM:"Ignorance is bliss. This forum looks like a bunch of patrio-fascists blaming everything under the sun on hard working poor people just because they are brown. Not only do you demonize the wrong people based on ignorance rather than facts, then you cheer at retarded policies that have zero chance of making any difference. It just looks like a bunch of wild dogs, foaming for some red meat in the form of politicians who blame everything on immigrants. Clearly, none of you have read the statue of liberty lately. "

Sane person wrote on October 05, 2006 5:25 PM:"I for one don't support the council's adoption of foolish laws that will bring zero benefit to Escondido. There's no chance this law will improve any of your lives in the least. There is a good chance it will cost the city millions in legal fees. And there is a chance it will make some poor children (even US citizens) homeless. Please don't insinuate that your ignorance and hate is "American". "

John D. wrote on October 05, 2006 5:35 PM:"Don't blame the city council for this problem. If the Federal Government, ie: President Bush and the Congress had the guts to take positive action to seal the border, Escondido would not have had to take this action. And don't be fooled thinking all the hispanics are against this law. A good amount of the legal ones know that the strain illegals have on the Schools, Hospitals and Court systems can only add cost and delays when we have to use them. There is a legal way to get into this country, and allowing people to illegally get in only cheapens the efforts to people who did it legally. "

To Rachel wrote on October 05, 2006 5:36 PM:"You know "THousands" of mexicans that used to fill up there??? Wow, you sound popular. I have two cars on empty...guess where I'm getting gas tomorrow?? Oppose the boycott, FILL UP AT SAM ABED'S MOBILE!!!!!!!"

Tony Rigatoni wrote on October 05, 2006 5:38 PM:"w00t! I know where I'm going to be spending my gas money, thanks for the advertisement. BTW: Most illegals carpool and burn cheap arco gas. A FWIW: How's about if everyone reading this boycotts any business they suspect is hiring illegals? Wanna bet most fast food places?"

Rob wrote on October 05, 2006 5:40 PM:"I just went by with my flag to buy gas at Midway Mobil. This seems to be a Channel 10 sponsored protect. The only ones there is Danny Perez and 10 others, mostly kids. Then of course, there is Fred Blankenship and a cameraman. So 10News is about 18% of protest. As I was leaving a Radio Latina van drove up. Soon, the number of media persons may out number the protestors."

Finally wrote on October 05, 2006 5:43 PM:"Thanks Sam, and whenever I am in Escondido I will buy gas at your stationno matter how little or much I need. And as for the idiot who asked "what kind of a name is Abed" ... they sounded a bit racist to me, and too befuddled to look it up. Abed, according to a google search is a name of Arabic origin and means worshipper. So we have an american either born or naturalized with a name of Arabic origin ... so what! I come from mostly Irish ancestry and have a first name thought to be of Germanic origin... big deal. I stand with Sam a fellow American who has the courage of his convictions."

Robert24 wrote on October 05, 2006 5:59 PM:"Just a quick FYI for those of you who do not know. Mr. Abed is from Lebanon, and is here legally. Now, Mr. Perez and the rest of you who choose to continue to support illegal activity, why don't you get a clue. Instead of picketing Mr. Abed's station, why don't you all go do the right thing, like he did, and get in line and come here legally. Then work hard, support this country and embrace it, and maybe someday you can have a lost group such as yourselves picket you and your gas station! BTW, I went to buy fuel there earlier today, but they do not sell diesel. I will be back tomorrow with my gasoline burning vehicles, and I have never bought fuel there before. Thank you, protestors, for bringing this new station to my, and alot of others, attention!"

Randy wrote on October 05, 2006 6:02 PM:"That is the nature of free speech: not always pretty or orderly, but always emotional!"

morty wrote on October 05, 2006 6:02 PM:"I THINK RACHEL IS ILL .TO BE THREATENING A PERSON ABOUT A 1000 NOT GETTING GAS,.MAYBE SHE CAN GET THE 1000 SHE KNOWS FILL UP AND LEAVE TOWN."

itsabouttime wrote on October 05, 2006 6:16 PM:"it's about time that someone took action to close the loopholes that encourage people to come here illegally. I'm tired of my hard earned money going towards teaching illegals, feeding illegals, and providing healthcare to illegals. There are legal ways to enter this country but our southern neighbor encourages illegal entry. Let's force real change in the corrupt Mexican government and send the illegals back. If your country is so bad that you need to trek across miles of desert, then change your country and stay out of mine. I for one am tired of seeing the Mexican flag flown in the United States. If you are so proud of being from Mexico that you must display a flag prominently, then go back to Mexico. You don't see me flying flags of my heritage (Ireland, England, Germany, Scotland, etc.) in the United States. The next time I pass through Escondido i'll buy gas at this station and any others that support crackdowns on illegal immigration. If the Federal government were doing its job then we wouldn't have to rely upon local government to protect our borders. Impeach Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld for selling this country out to big business for personal gain. Why else would they not want to crack down on illegal immigration? The big businesses love the cheap labor. INS needs to crack down and kick illegals back across the border. I'm tired of my tax dollars being used to encourage and support those who break the law."

tired of it wrote on October 05, 2006 6:23 PM:"Our illustrious mayor Lori needs to park her pansy butt in an immigrant infested apartment complex and see how she likes how life treats her. Sam, I'll be filling up tomorrow. Marie, I am disgusted at the lack of respect given your business and I hope you are able to bring those responsible accountable and put them away/deport them/whatever it takes! Bravo to the City Council majority for taking a stand for those of us who aren't being heard over the pro-immigrant rants."

too funny wrote on October 05, 2006 6:28 PM:"The majority ruled on this and as Mr Abed said the other night, he represents 60% of the city population. Good luck Mayor, you are now part of the minority. Live with it!"

STOP THE HATE wrote on October 05, 2006 6:37 PM:"Wow, I don't like the whole situation either, but the hateful words from so many is scary. Did you see the front page of the Union Tribune? Those ladies should be ashamed holding those signs...so hateful and outright rude. This is not right...there's got to be another way......"

Emily wrote on October 05, 2006 6:40 PM:"I'd like to see what any of you would do if your family was starving in another country and knew you could have better opportunities to help them in this country, the so called "Land of the Free." If you were so proud of this country, you would be proud to say that it treats everybody equally, even if they do not have the documentation to be here. They are still human beings, not animals. They do not break laws more often than citizens do. THAT is the propaganda society has been feeding you. Everybody has to complain about everything, and hey, why not blame the immigrants? That sounds like a good idea. Who cares if they are just coming here to find work and provide a better life for their families? We do not want them to do better at OUR expense! As long as WE can live a little better, we don't need to help anybody else. That's what you're all saying, right? You selfish, racist people. We should just throw them all out on the street. News flash people: no matter what you do, they aren't going to leave! They are growing in number and will continue to do so, even read a few of the previous comments. So why not let them work and have them pay more taxes? Why not let them contribute to the economy by renting from landlords (who I am sure were not too happy about this new ordinance)? Why do we let this intolerance continue?"

Nick wrote on October 05, 2006 6:47 PM:"I will be heading over to fuel up all 100 gallons of my tank tomorrow. No worries Mr. Abed, we will take care of you. None of the protestors buy gas from you anyway. Send them all back where they came from."

Sandy K wrote on October 05, 2006 6:58 PM:"We don't live in Escondido, but you can bet we will go out of our way to buy gas there. I think we can start calling Mr. Abed "Fantastic Sam.""

Samuel wrote on October 05, 2006 7:15 PM:"To Latina, Yeah Yeah, I've already seen the movie, life without a Mexican, and sorry, It's not going to happen. See, the whole thing is about ILLEGALS. There area Illegals from every race. This law does not pertain only to Mexicans. And your "You all know dam well that Latinos ARE # 1" comment, would that not be considered a racist or Prejudice. If you think that, why are you in America, and not in Mexico. And why would someone that is doing something good for the city by trying to get rid of people that do not belong here be considered a racist. Maybe you or Rachel, or even Racel's 1000 little buddys could answer this, Why can't you just get a Resident Alien Card, and be here legally. Thats all you have to do. Do that, and guess what, you are welcomed to be here. Otherwise, get out of the Country. It seems like only the Mexicans are making this look like this law is towards a certain race, it's not, it's about all illegals. I would suggest you go back and read the law again, well, ok ok, just read it the first time. I think the Border Patrol should show up at these protests and began hitting people up for their Resident Alien cards. Oh, where did the protesters go. And to messcondido, what war you got, quit playin quit playin!"

What is Constitutional? wrote on October 05, 2006 7:30 PM:"Certainly not the ordinance. Any lawyer will tell you that states can not enforce immigration law. NO EXCEPTION. This law will be tossed in no time flat. But of course the council knows that, it is just politics at work."

Jon B. wrote on October 05, 2006 7:32 PM:"I will never buy gas there again, I never knew that such a bigot owned that place. Thanks for the tip"

jeremy b. wrote on October 05, 2006 7:35 PM:"its about time southern california picks it up.i asked a neighbor for a job laying wood floors.i asked him to train me for free, while i used my saving to get by, so that i could get a job with a company here in north county. he woud not train me for over 5 months while at the same time hiring illegal immigrants who he said got social security numbers off the street in san diego and he could pay them and set at home while they did the work and didnt have time to train me.let me tell you,our city has a big problem with gang activity to ,if you dont believe me go to any place and and look at the writings all over the wall.and if you still dont believe how gang activity is getting worsr try taking your spouse out for a drink at the north county bar in escondido.our country is headed to a small civil war and our pathetic trouble causing polie department isnt going to make it any better."

Fill er Up wrote on October 05, 2006 7:36 PM:"Just left Sam's station... I filled up the SUV with PREMIUM ! The cops are there in force... The few pickets that are there are mostly school age kids that have never bought a gallon of gas in thier life. They're there for "numbers" and to make it look bigger than it really is. I filled up my gas sucking SUV with premimum and chatted with several other happy customer that had com WAY out of thier way to buy gas here in support. If you doubt for a minute that Escondido has an 'illegal' problem, just cruise down Mission or Washington between Ash and Broadway and you'll understand why we are FEED UP with people (of any race) coming here illegally and demanding 'right' and 'welfare'. My mother in law came legally, got a sponser, and did the whole citizenship thing the right way. So should everyone else. Let Sam know what you think and BUY HIS GAS ! "

Thanks wrote on October 05, 2006 7:36 PM:"I didn't even know he OWNED a gas station. I guess I will be by to fill up soon! "

Roberto wrote on October 05, 2006 7:51 PM:"To all you racist and Xenophobes...I guess you win this battle. I agree, it won't work. I guess increasing the numbers of legal migrants from Mexico is the only real solution because the fence is going to be to complicated for us to understand and for the illegals to figure it out....Again, thank all you racist and Xenophobes for all your support. As the guy about 20 threads above said, we lost the war and will have to settle for a compromise at the request of you really intelligent people out here including that voter. CAFTA, NAFTA and just ole plain hard work along with a sensible assimilation plan will work just fine! "

Esco See's The Light wrote on October 05, 2006 7:51 PM:"Remember that wonderful day a few months back when the Mexican's protested and stayed home from work one day? I remember that it backfired on them as it turned out to be a great day for the rest of us not to see them! Just think how nice it will be once the flood of ILLEGALS stop flooding our towns across the USA. That will be another wonderful time. It will happen as more cities adopt similar ordinances to enforce laws already on the books. I see the light getting bigger!"

Jorge wrote on October 05, 2006 7:56 PM:"I know where I'll buy my gas at now. Please, all of you don't buy your gas or groceries or pampers or anything else here. Go to Mexico and get whatever you need. Their economy needs you and we don't. Just remeber to stay there. War? No problem messcondido. Bring it on. "

To Latina: wrote on October 05, 2006 7:57 PM:"Illegal Immigrants the biggest consumers in California. Give me a break. They are sending the money back to Mexico, how can they be consumers then? It will be nice to be able to actually get into the DMV or a life saving emergency room when these illegals get deported. I'll gladly pay more for a head of lettuce if I can get in the emergency room if I need help. No brainer there. We pay taxes for only a certain amount of services. If a portion of another country is using those services, we will have less quality. If they are paying taxes, then prosecute them for stealing identities and SSN's."

Press 1 for English, Press 2 for Deportation wrote on October 05, 2006 8:25 PM:"Great, thanks for letting me know where to buy gas. Sam, you've got my business whenever I'm in Escondido. "

Robert24 wrote on October 05, 2006 8:26 PM:"To Latina; First, in any good argument, you respect the person whose opinion you do not agree with. Saying, in caps at that, "lazy race called white Americans" does not show education, class or respect. It really only serves to take you down a notch. No one here is saying that they are better than anyone else; you brought that in. No one here said Latinos are the problem. It is the illegal (look it up if you are unclear on its meaning) that is the problem, and needs to be dealt with, to the extent of the law. And, as for the businesses that will "go out", according to you, I truly doubt that it will be gas stations, apartments and the like. Most likely it will be 99 cent stores, WIC locations, check cashing establishments, and any of the 7 dozen taco shops with names to resemble Roberto's (Alberto's, Dilberto's, Juanberto's, Jilliberto's, etc.)- good riddance. As for Latino's being #1, that, too, is just anti-American. This Country is made up of people of all races, nationality and religion, and is part of what makes it great. Illegal immigrants, who just so happen to have Mexicans in the majority, who have not earned the rights of America, and spew "Latinos are #1" do not help the cause. Go home, be number 1 there, and, if you would like to truly be an American, come back legally and fit in. Otherwise, take your flag and your attitude back to the place that you legally belong to, and convince them that you are number 1. Good luck! "

Viva La Raza wrote on October 05, 2006 8:29 PM:"Thanks for telling me where Sam's gas station is. I won't be buying gas there and neither will the 13 people who live with me in my one bedroom apartment. This law was totally unnecessary. We live this all the time in Mexico and look how great that nation is! The US should learn from Mexico. Viva La Raza!"

Pat wrote on October 05, 2006 8:39 PM:"The typical threats, harrassment and at times violence used by the opposition. They think it's OK to try to destroy two council members businesses through any means. I am not one of those weak lazy Americans they speak of and WE WILL take our country back, one town at a time. I will be not intimidated by someone from another country living here illegally and neither will the city council. I have a feeling though that things will get a lot nastier because these people will not give up their free healthcare, schooling etc easily. Their sense of entitlement amazes me! It's us, the taxpayers that pay for their free ride. "

Eric wrote on October 05, 2006 8:40 PM:"To Latina, Your diatribe is the perfect proof that such laws are a necessity. Illegals: please return to the country from which you came and try to make it a better place rather than trashing entire sections of our cities. Sam Abed for Governor."

fran wrote on October 05, 2006 8:45 PM:"Go home!! I too want my country back. May 1st my town was empty of illegals. It was sooooo nice. It felt like old times. they were out marching somewhere. If I lived in or near Escondido I too, would be filling up at Sam's Mobile. Thank God for people like Sam. Go Sam!"

to viva la raza wrote on October 05, 2006 8:47 PM:"If Mexico is so great, then go back there and live. You won't though because you wouldn't get the freebies that you do here---wish just one of you just admit it! It's time to thank an American for paying your medical bills!"

Bean Counter wrote on October 05, 2006 8:54 PM:"I am so sick and tired of hearing people like "Latina" telling us our country will fall apart without illegal aliens. What next, we are addicted to foreign oil and illegals? Let's look at lettuce. The illegal supporters say our lettuce prices will be something like $5.00/head without illegals. I don't buy it; let's do the math. I figure a professional lettuce picker could pick 5 heads a minute, or 300 heads an hour. If we replace an illegal making $2.00/hour with a US citizen making $7/hour ($10.00/hour with taxes), that is an extra $8 divided among 300 heads of lettuce, which amounts to an increase in cost of UNDER 3 cents per head of lettuce. OK, pay the US citizens $30/hour to pick lettuce (which will get many of our professional welfare recipients off the dole), and the price rises by less than 10 cents a head of lettuce. Thanks, but I'll pay the extra dime, watch our welfare rolls shrink, and be able to a) get into an emergency room in less than 5 hours, b) drive without getting rear- ended by an illegal without insurance, c) not have my wife harassed by the illegals when she walks through the Home Depot parking lot. Illegals GO HOME."

Tire of it all wrote on October 05, 2006 8:59 PM:"Let's think about this. These people are protesting a law they think is unjust. They say they're rights are being taken away and they are just here to make a decent living. Ok, if thats the case, when was the last time any of them paid taxes? I'm tired of paying for all their kids to go to school and then not even be taught in English half the time. Our schools, hospitals, and social services here in Southern California are overburdened by people here illegally. Illegal aliens have no rights in this country. However, if someone wants to come here legally like Mr. Abed, that's great, I'm all for it. But to simply run across the border, take a job and then scream about your "rights," well that's another deal all together. Here's what the great Theodore Roosevelt had to say about immigrants in 1918 "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." I think that his vision is more important today than it was when he wrote this. Maybe our politicians should read this. Finally, Mr. Abed you and the other two councilmembers did the right thing. Now you need to target those that hire illegals because without jobs and housing, what is the point of coming here!"

cb wrote on October 05, 2006 9:00 PM:"25 years seems like a long time right? It is not. I truly hope that all of you are enjoying the way Latinos are being treated and regarded. I say Latinos because, as one can read in the comments above, somehow we are all “illegals”-second class citizens, subhuman, right? Please remember this: what goes around comes around. I hope you can remember this 25 years from now. Evolutionary demographics is a beautiful thing… "

a human in Escondido wrote on October 05, 2006 9:17 PM:"How can these people cry racist, clearly they are the ones that are racist. Let's drop the racist thing, OK? Let's file everyone under the same race, the Human Race. Then, see who is a citizen of the U.S., who is here following the legal procedure to become a citizen, and those who snuck accross without regard for that procedure need to be sent home, to do it the right way, REGARDLESS of what country that is. It just so happens that border is with Mexico, so obvioulsy the majority of illegal aliens in this region happen to be Latino. That does not make us racist, that's just common sense. The key word here is "ILLEGAL", NOT "MEXICAN". We are all of the same race."

Viva La Fence!!! wrote on October 05, 2006 9:37 PM:"Illegally crossing the border and setting up residency, is well... illegal. Not paying taxes is, well... illegal. Identity theft is, well... illegal. I am all for LEGAL Imigration, and I am all for Hispanic Americans. I am not for ILLEGAL Imigrants that undercut americans by working ILLEGALLY for was that are BELOW LEGAL MINIMUM WAGES, and DO NOT pay TAXES. I don't support ILLEGAL Immigrants that refuse to learn english and burden our schools and emergency rooms. I have no sympathy for ILLEGAL Immigrants that have the nerve to protest our laws and boycott our businesses. This is something they need to do in Mexico. I have NO respect for individuals that sacrafice the future and well being of their children because they will not learn the language. Our country does not owe Mexico a living, education, or health care. Those are things they must earn for themselves in their own country. If they are willing to learn the language (as all immigrants have done), work for fair wages, pay taxes, insure their vehicles, and pay for their own health care, then I will personally weave them a welcome mat, and dedicate my life to implementing amnesty. At this point, they drain our economy, take our jobs, increase the tax burden, overwhelm our education system, and create inflation. This leaves me with only one solution ... Fill 'er up, Sam!!!!"

Robert24 wrote on October 05, 2006 9:44 PM:"Sorry, folks, I just can't let this go. I learned something last night, and if any of the rest of you listened to every word at the City Council meeting last night like I did, you may have learned something also. For those of you who did not take the time to pay attention to last nights meeting, here is what I learned, and a quick comparison: Mr. Abed came to this country from Lebanon. He came here legally. He purchased a business-a gas station which is now being picketed-and hired people to work for him. Those people earn a paycheck, and pay taxes. Mr. Abed makes a legal living, and contributes untold dollars to the City in taxes, insurance, business license, etc. Mr. Abed has become an American citizen, and serves the City of Escondido as a Council Member, sometimes making uncomfortable and unpopular decisions, which he feels is best for the City. In return, he gets picketed. Now, let's do a quick look at what Mr. Abed is attempting to stop in this City with his unpopular vote: Illegal aliens (please note that I did not say Mexicans, Latinos, Brown People, or anything other than Illegal aliens. If Mr. Abed had done what these folks are doing, he would be an Illegal alien also, but he did not) come here illegally, and do not purchase businesses. They work here for cheaper than the going rate, not to help America, but to stay under the radar and not call attention to themselves, and send the money "home". They do not earn a paycheck, instead, they work for cash and pay no taxes. They typically do not contribute to the City, do not have car or medical insurance, and often times, do not have legal drivers licenses or Social security cards. They do not respect the laws of this Country and call attention to themselves with such things as saying "Latinos are #1", "we are not doing anything wrong here, we only want to work", and "lazy race called white Americans". Can you start to see the difference in the way Mr. Abed has done things, and the position he has risen to, as opposed to those who continue to believe that it is okay to do things illegally, and then try to rationalize those actions by saying things like "we do the work the white people won't" or "Latinos are the bigger consumers in California mostly anywhere", followed by a call to arms to show Americans the dire circumstances that will occur when the illegals all leave? Nothing racist here, but a pretty clear cut example of how to and how not to rise up in life. Illegals, and all of your supporters; while I am sure that you are angry at Mr. Abed (and Ms. Waldron and Mr. Gallo)try taking a good, long, hard look at how Mr. Abed has done things, and what he has achieved. He is a true American success story, and has become an American. I would be willing to bet that he will never, ever forget his country of origin, Lebanon, but I will also bet that he does not fly a Lebanese flag here in America either. Quit blaming others for your problems, and do things right, legally, and fit in. Quit trying to bring your culture and your language to this Country. Quit with La Raza, la Reconquista, Mecha and the rest. Quit rationalizing illegal behavior, and embrace the law and structure, and most importantly, the opportunities afforded by this great Country, if you do things the legal way. You will find the America that I know to be more than willing to accept you, and help you to get whatever your dream may be. But you have to first come legally, and contribute. Coming illegally, and only taking, is just one reason that we are all having this uncomfortable situation now. Pay attention to Mr. Abed. He should be a example for all people who wish to live in America, and be Americans. "

Pedro wrote on October 05, 2006 9:49 PM:"This new law is racist. All of these laws in the EEUU are racist. Even the U.S. Constitution is a racist paper because it is not in Spanish. Mexico is the best, especially our space program and our super duper infrastructure and public education system. I moved here with mi familia grande to make this country better - like Mexico. ¡Viva Mexico! Oh, I almost forgot - if you buy gas at this racist place, Our Lady of Guadalupe will shed tears for your sad KKK racist soul. If you do not agree with me, then you are a racist. ¡Viva La Raza!"

a human in Escondido wrote on October 05, 2006 10:05 PM:"Pedro, you are joking, right?"

bryan wrote on October 05, 2006 10:17 PM:"I will go there every week to buy something. I live in escondido and was not familiar with this gas station. bet your life on it ill be there tomorrow morning. We should create a line of cars waiting to get gas there a mile long. way to go sam"

jose wrote on October 05, 2006 10:20 PM:"sam for president"

Adios Amigos and Amigas wrote on October 05, 2006 10:28 PM:"Yes, finally someone is doing something about these illegals! I am so sick and tired of trying to talk with a mexican who can't speak english! I am shocked to see how many mexicans live in escondido! I have not been there for years, but recently I have to go there for classes and the mexicans and mexican food places are everywhere! It appears they are taking over and making Escondido Mexcondido or EsconMexico! I fully support the Council recent descision to not let Landlords rent to illegals! And how dare they wave the Mexican flag and not the U.S. Flag! They dont have car insurance and drain our sytem financially! It's time to kick them over the boarder or else we caould have another civil war between Mexico and California!!! Enough is enough, they must be legal and the must speak fluent english to be a citizen!!!"

Jose wrote on October 05, 2006 10:30 PM:"Thank you Sam. I'll get getting gas there tomorrow!"

to emily and latina wrote on October 05, 2006 10:41 PM:"Racist? Intolerance? Excuse me but it's all about LEGAL immigration. We are talking about ILLEGAL immigration. You are insinuating Mexico is being discriminated against? What about all the people in non-bordering countries that want to come to the U.S.? They have to abide by the legal immigration laws. So why should Mexicans that sneak across the border because they live adjacent to the U.S. be welcomed and treated better than those that abide by the laws to enter this country legally. Focus your frustration on the Mexican government where it belongs. The only reason everyone wants in the U.S. is because Mexico's government walks all over the people. They leave instead of fighting for their rights. But you chose to criticize the U.S.. Mexico will never amount to anything until the people of Mexico realize that their problem is their own government and country. Blame your own politicians and country not the people of the U.S."

To Pedro wrote on October 05, 2006 10:47 PM:"To Pedro...if Mexico is the best why don't you and your "familia" go back??? "

Confused wrote on October 05, 2006 10:49 PM:"CB wrote " . . . Please remember this: what goes around comes around. I hope you can remember this 25 years from now. Evolutionary demographics is a beautiful thing." This can only be interpreted as a veiled threat of striking out against gringos in 25 years, once there is a latino majority. I seek clarification from CB related to his assertion that "what goes around comes around." Is he saying that in the future Latino politicians will enact legislation making it illegal to rent to any gringos or non-illegal aliens? The new Escondido ordinance is not concerned with national origin or ethnicity, but whether or not a person has complied with U.S. immigration laws. Those who consistently allege that racism is the force behind the desire to have secure borders and to know who is living in the U.S. are the real racists. In English, La Raza is defined as "the race." That sounds a lot more like 1938 Germany than did last night's City Council meeting. No other ethnic group in the U.S. could get away with calling itself "The Race," without being charged with various federal hate crimes and RICO violations. What a convenient double standard!"

Hey Pedro! wrote on October 05, 2006 11:01 PM:"Hey Pedro! You convinced me, I'm going to move to Maheco with my wife and ten lovley children and soak up some welfare, free medical care, free education for my kids and set up camp in in a canyon. "

Curious wrote on October 05, 2006 11:12 PM:"Well, Won't be getting gas at that station any more. Usually expensive anyway. Anyone know if Marie Waldron and Ed Gallo own businesses in town so I can avoid those too?"

Escondeeter wrote on October 05, 2006 11:15 PM:"Anyone who thinks they can intimidate Sam into changing his vote doesn't know Sam. The ordinance's opponents didn't scare Council members by threatening their lives, and threatening their businesses won't work either. Funny thing about the left, when logic fails they always turn to strong-arm tactics."

chulavistaAmerican wrote on October 05, 2006 11:25 PM:"1. It is a violation of federal law to cross the border without proper documentation.(any border of the United Sates) This would make anyone without the proper documentationa criminal. 2. It is a violation of law to aid or abet a criminal, i.e. provide housing, work or sustenance to one who has committed a crime. therefore, the ordinance passed by Escondido city council is redundant and definitely not racist. Did the language of the ordinance name any one specific race,creed or nationality specifically or did the protester and immigration rights activist interpret it in that manner. If I lived in Escondido, I would shop at the businesses owned by the council members who voted for the ordinance. Even though I feel it is a redundantmove, all we really have to do is enforce the laws already n the books. We do not need amnesty for those who chose to shortcut the legal system, we had that less than ten years ago, and we are back up to over 10 million illegal aliens, not immigrants, as by law an immigrant is one who followed the rules. "

chulavistaAmerican wrote on October 05, 2006 11:31 PM:" VivaLaRaza wrote "I won't be buying gas there and neither will the 13 people who live with me in my one bedroom apartment" In this case there is a landlord not doing their job, last I heard maximum occupancy for One bdrm apt is 3 people, I believe that it is a part of the health code. Just another example of laws being broken"

chulavistaAmerican wrote on October 05, 2006 11:36 PM:"I support illegal aliens, I pay for their children's education, while thry send money home to their family in another country or pay off the"coyote" that brought them here"

Fair Game! wrote on October 05, 2006 11:38 PM:"In another paper, Danny Perez said he came here 17 years ago as an illegal alien. I quote "Perez, 38, said he became a permanent U.S. resident five years ago after paying $15,000 in fines and legal fees to go through a lengthy approval process. For years, he lived without papers in Escondido." I have asked several of my legal immigrant friends. None of them have heard of an illegal alien coming in 1989, after the 1986 amnesty, being able to get permanent residency by paying a $15,000 fine!? Does anyone know what Danny Perez is talking about? Is this possible? "

Frida wrote on October 05, 2006 11:43 PM:"I support the boycott. The good thing about this is people only have to cross the street to get gas at the other gas station and it's cheaper in price too! Don't buy Mobil gas at Sam Abed's shop!"

cuidad National wrote on October 05, 2006 11:44 PM:"Illegals who demand their "right" to create a Mexifornian environment, might move to Cuidad National. There they will find high taxes, high crime, corrupt politicians, and lots of "sanctuary" multifamily slum dwelling - with much more of the same to come. Cuidad National, si! City of Escondido, no."

CriminalsGo Home wrote on October 05, 2006 11:46 PM:"When the Mexicans were waving Mexican flags and cheering for Mexcico during the stupid Immigrant Stay Home day, a few months ago, is when I realized these clowns will never get my support. These CRIMINALS have no regard whatsoever for American law or culture. I say ship everyone of them back to Mexico after the new wall is built with only the flannel shirt and ball cap they walked into this country with ILLEGALLY. The rest of their belongings is property of the USA government. Adios la criminals."

anotherview wrote on October 06, 2006 12:07 AM:"The individuals supporting the ordinance to stop the renting of housing to illegal aliens show much energy. Still, this ordinance, even if effective, represents a band-aid approach to the removal of illegal aliens. They will simply go elsewhere to live. Let me offer a suggestion to the energized individuals: Write to your elected officials to urge their support of a federal law prohibiting employers from hiring illegal aliens, and a rejection of amnesty for illegal aliens. Without the prospect of either a job or an amnesty, the illegal aliens now here would tend to self-deport, and the foreign nationals would tend not come here. Jobs would open for Americans. The overcrowding and other ills in Escondido arising from the presence of illegal aliens would abate. The number of criminal illegal aliens would drop. The burden on local, state, and federal budgets would ease. The host of other negative social, economic, and political impacts fostered by the presence of illegal aliens would moderate. America can get along fine without illegal aliens."

Sanguine wrote on October 06, 2006 12:26 AM:"Time to open up the dictionary! First word -- rac·ism : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. Where does the ordinance specify any superior race? Hint: it doesn't. Next word -- xe·no·phobe : one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin. None of those favoring the ordinance are fearful -- in fact, given the uproar on the issue, they're being quite brave if you ask me. So quit tossing around words like "racist" and "xenophobe" and stick to the issue. "

Jefe wrote on October 06, 2006 12:27 AM:"Sam, you are an American Hero. Danny Perez is a two bit loser. Someone check his papers!"

Jeff M wrote on October 06, 2006 12:43 AM:"Fill 'er up!!! My new favorite gas station!!!! "

Chichen wrote on October 06, 2006 12:54 AM:"Why for you no like undocumenteds? We going to bring bullfighting, fresh bagged Spinach, a trashcan to each toilet stall. We only charge you Californians 12 billion a year. What a bueno deal!!"

Jeff M wrote on October 06, 2006 12:57 AM:"To "A Human in Escondido", It's a Small Small World is in Anaheim."

kc wrote on October 06, 2006 1:13 AM:"Pedro, hope you're kidding around. But even if you are, don't be disrespectful to Our Lady of Guadalupe. Not funny. "

What can I say wrote on October 06, 2006 1:32 AM:"Other than I plan I filling up at Sams station also. Thanks to the protestors I may have to wait in line. Sam you better call in a few extra deliveries for the weekend. When these fools realize that their protsest turns into a boon for Sam they will be gone by Monday morning. Now for Mr Fonseca's quote "I don't understand these people (on the City Council). I don't understand why they don't live in peace," Fonseca said. "They (the illegal immigrants) have to go to work, but where are they going to live?" How about back in Mexico where they belong? All of our relatives came from somewhere but they came here LEGALLY. "

Two Issues at Stake wrote on October 06, 2006 5:45 AM:"Illegal immigration ONLY as it pertains to the Demonization of the WORKING POOR. Is there one among you who objects to the ILLEGAL individual who has lived and worked our system for sufficient years to own and operate their own business? Upholstery business? Restaurant? Landscaping? Fencing? Furniture Manufacture? Forest and Timber Reduction? Iron Mongering? Building Trade? Roofing? Plumbing? Stone Masonry? Auto Repair? Who also happens to own a beautiful home in an expensive upscale part of town? Each adult member of the family owns and drives a late model state of the art vehicle? I will wager that these WEALTHY ILLEGALS who are excluded from your daily diatribe and hate mongering, in all probability, have even joined your quest in order to further safeguard their ill gotten ILLEGAL interests! It was an eye opener for me to visually observe (1979) a millionaire in the making, during his first FIVE years in Kalifornia. Each and every pay day each workshop employee (all illegal) was handed their weekly salary in both check and cash payments! If Illegal Immigration is truly your concern I suggest that you make a TEST case out of these illegal financially successful individuals who have either WORKED or BILKED the system for years."

Pedro wrote on October 06, 2006 7:14 AM:"I want to make sure everyone knows that I not being disrepecful to Our Lady of Guadalupe. I dont even want nobody to even think this, especialmente El Padre de mi iglesia. Our Lady of Guadalupe is the best! "

Ron wrote on October 06, 2006 8:56 AM:"Councilman Sam Abed's Mobil gas station will be my permanent gas station for here on out. And I live in Vista, I will gladly make the drive! "

GET INFORMED wrote on October 06, 2006 9:38 AM:"to all of you criticizing Danny Perez residency, you guys have no clue how difficult it is to obtain a green card to come here. My friend has been waiting for 14 years! with just temporary permits. The problem here is the immigration system is stupid! 14 years waiting and his parents are US citizens. He can't go out of the country like many of you... what's up with that? we need effective immigration laws, STOP BLAMING INNOCENT PEOPLE! "

Pete wrote on October 06, 2006 9:39 AM:""Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Statue of Liberty The hate filled commenters who scapegoat immigrants are acting far less "American" than the hard working immigrants who are trying to make a better life and earn a decent living. "

DON'T FORGET wrote on October 06, 2006 9:57 AM:"All Men Are Created Under Image of God, So We All Are Equal"

To Chichen wrote on October 06, 2006 10:01 AM:"And you wonder why people are throwing the race card. If we're telling everyone this isn't a race issue then let's back it up. Quit with the Spanglish jokes and stop using "Hispanic", "Latino" and "illegal" interchangeably. "

To All GasGuzzlers wrote on October 06, 2006 10:03 AM:"I think that people are confusing Sam's station for a voting poll. Actually, its not even up to us. Its not completely up to Sam either, so no matter how much gas you suck out of his pumps, its not going to make this ordinace any stronger or smarter. The people that are protesting are only chosing his spot because its right smack in the middle of a busy intersection. Even the intersection in front of City Hall is not as busy as the one where his station is at. But its so funny how all of sudden everyone is bragging about having 2-3 Gas Guzzling SUV's and RV's when a couple of weeks ago everyone was crying about how gas was expensive. All of sudden its very patriotic to go drop a bunch of money at a coucilmans gas station that has a 1 in 5 chance of voting on this decision. You are all so funny."

Tired of Illegals wrote on October 06, 2006 10:11 AM:"Time to go to Sam's place - I need some fuel, and am sure I will get some free entertainment out of the deal at the same time! NO MAS AQUI!!"

Margaret wrote on October 06, 2006 10:12 AM:"I will be filling up at Sam's gas station from now on. Good work Sam!!"

Legal Mexican wrote on October 06, 2006 10:13 AM:"You guys have no idea about what you have unleashed. Regardless if the ordinance goes through or not, this city is not going to be the same. Bad blood is going to run through the streets. I
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Suspicion may be mutual in new rental climate

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...-1mi6rent.html

Suspicion may be mutual in new rental climate

By Hiram Soto
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    October 6, 2006

ESCONDIDO – Regardless of the legal challenges ahead, the ordinance approved Wednesday by the City Council will affect not only undocumented immigrants but also U.S. citizens, legal residents and landlords.

The effect will most likely be felt by undocumented immigrants who have direct leases with landlords, as opposed to those who rent through friends or family members who are citizens, said activists and industry experts.

Advertisement

“The undocumented are going to keep renting, but the landlords may take the opportunity to take even more advantage of them,” said attorney Steven Kellman of the Tenants Legal Center of San Diego. His office represents tenants in legal disputes with landlords throughout the county.
    It's not unusual for tenants who are in the country illegally to pay several months' rent upfront, or even bribe apartment managers to let them rent a place to live. Many say they live in deplorable conditions and under constant threat by managers if they complain.

The ordinance has made tenants such as Cristina nervous. She's an undocumented immigrant who managed to rent an apartment after having to scrape together three months' rent in advance. She asked that her last name not be used out of fear that she could be deported.

“It was very difficult to get the apartment,” the 23-year-old Mexican immigrant said as she boarded a bus on North Broadway. “I don't know what we're going to do. We'll have to see what happens.”

Most undocumented tenants interviewed on a recent morning said they felt they were beyond the reach of the ordinance because of arrangements they have with family members and friends who are citizens or legal residents.

One of them is Vicente, 24, an undocumented immigrant who has lived in Escondido for eight years. He met a woman who's a citizen at the city's swap meet who rented him a room for $450 a month. He also asked that his last name not be used because he feared deportation.

Vicente said there are many renters who can't afford rent. There are also others who buy houses or condominiums but can't afford the mortgage payments, he said.

“A lot of people post ads for rooms to rent at grocery stores, 7-Elevens and through word-of-mouth with people they know,” Vicente said. “Right now I have a friend who just bought a house and is looking to rent out a room.”

Under the ordinance, residents would be able to file complaints against landlords they suspect are renting to undocumented immigrants. No complaints would be admitted based on “national origin, ethnicity or race,” says the ordinance, but it doesn't specify how that will be determined.

Escondido City Attorney Jeffrey Epp did not return calls for comment.

On-the-spot differentiation between a Latino with legal documents and one without is not only impossible, it also invites discrimination, said Bill Flores, a spokesman for El Grupo Sin Nombre, a coalition of civil rights, educational and other North County organizations.

“What's going to happen is that landlords are going to be extremely aware about who's living in their units, and the effect is going to be that they won't want to rent to any Latino to avoid the whole issue,” he said.

Robert Pinnegar, executive director of the San Diego County Apartment Association, which represents landlords throughout the county, said the ordinance could carry a broad spectrum of repercussions for landlords, including lawsuits from evicted tenants.

What would happen, he asked, if the ordinance forced a landlord to evict a tenant who had a six-month or one-year lease? A contract doesn't specify that the tenant's immigration status could be a basis for eviction, he said.

Pinnegar also cited a bill that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger recently signed increasing from 30 days to 60 the amount of time California renters will have to move if their landlord issues a no-fault eviction notice.

The ordinance calls for landlords to evict tenants who are found to be undocumented immigrants in 10 days.

Pinnegar said a landlord could be the target of a lawsuit by the tenant, and at the same time risk losing his or her city business license.

“That's our frustration with this ordinance,” he said. “The people who wrote it don't understand how the industry works, let alone the fair-housing implications of this ordinance.”
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

This is a hoot! Good ole Sam is going to rake in the American $$s it seems

Frank Lopez, the city of Vista's only Latino councilman, said he empathized with both sides in the illegal immigration debate, but felt Escondido's ordinance was "the wrong way to tackle it."
    So Senor Lopez........what's YOUR WAY to tackle the problem? Talk is so cheap.

Wish these folks would pony up a "PLAN" to end this insanity.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12