Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar

More stench from LA Times: add your comments

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washing ... nt72525666

Hey, Congress! Get a load of this immigration poll

A new Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg News Poll to be released momentarily shows a startling break between what Americans feel about illegal immigrants and what a minority of Congress is saying, or rather shouting.

The new poll reveals that a large majority of Americans--including two-thirds of Republicans--favor allowing illegal immigrants to become citizens under certain conditions. Only 23% of those polled oppose allowing immigrants to legalize their status by paying fines, learning English and meeting other requirements. Such requirements are a central tenet of the controversial compromise legislation stalled in the Senate, suggesting opposition comes from a small but very vocal minority who call such provisions "amnesty."

The new poll also found that President Bush's approval rating has sunk to 34%, down from 45% last September and the lowest such rating registered by The Times in his presidency. Even his approval among Republicans is down to 70% from 83% last fall.

Another poll finding: fully 69% of Americans (71% of registered voters) believe the country is seriously on the wrong track, nearly the worst measure of pessimism in 15 years.

This could help explain why the same polling data shows the approval rating of Congress has fallen to its lowest level in a decade of Times polls. As Noam Levey reported in this morning's Times, only 27% of Americans approve of Congress' job under the new Democratic majority. That's down from 36% in January.

Only 36% approve of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's job while--Hello there, Newt--46% say they approved of Newt Gingrich's job when he took over in 1994. (Alas for Newt, during his Speakership his favorability ratings never topped 30%. Time does make the heart grow fonder.)

To read Janet Hook's complete Times story, click here.

--Andrew Malcolm

Note: The survey was conducted Thursday through Sunday; 1,183 adults were surveyed by telephone.

Comments

You know what? I'll bet the Spanish speaking folks in Los Angeles were given this poll. I know I wasn't asked. Let's enforce the LAWS on the books, then see about legalizing those here illegally.

Posted by: enforcement1st | June 12, 2007 at 02:38 PM

Whom did you ask, the illegal aliens, or the companies that profit from cheap illegal labor? Most other polls point to the exact opposite of your "poll"; nice try in trying to manipulate public opinion.

Posted by: vondur | June 12, 2007 at 02:45 PM

Why should we care about anyone's opinion on this topic if they aren't directly affected by the massive influx of illiterate poor people? And who cares about a path to citizenship? It's not whether we allow them to be citizens or not, it's whether they are in the US or not.

Posted by: Steve | June 12, 2007 at 02:52 PM

LOL The LA Slimes rides again. Why don't you just capitulate completely and become a Spanish only paper. Hispandering is something you guys to so oh very well.

Polls are meaningless in this debate. For every poll you find yes, I'll find two that say no. The difference being, I can at least admit that polls can and are manipulated to get the result they want.

Nice try LA Slimes!!

Posted by: Tom | June 12, 2007 at 02:53 PM

Where was this poll given? Must people want are laws enforced first. Stop businesses from hiring illegals,stop the flow of people coming here illegally.
    Then and only then do we address the people here illegally.

Posted by: David B | June 12, 2007 at 03:14 PM

Hey LA Times, next time conduct your poll somewhere else other than the local taco truck. I have yet to talk to ANYONE not speaking spanish only who supports AMNESTY for the 20 million illegal invaders.

Posted by: LibsLieLike IBreathe | June 12, 2007 at 03:24 PM

1,183 people polled! Big deal!!!
    This is typical LATimes liberal slant/hype shouting headlines - pro illegal aliens. No wonder California is such a problem for the rest of the nation.

Posted by: valycat | June 12, 2007 at 03:27 PM

I am very curious as to how this poll was conducted and would love to see some supporting evidence that the "large majority" of Americans support this bill - I know that I sure don't.

Posted by: E. Scott Channell | June 12, 2007 at 03:34 PM

The poll is an example of responsible, diligent journalism. I have renewed faith in the American Public, because the status quo is unacceptable. It's time for reform, and as imperfect as it might always be, you can always make adjustments in the future.

Posted by: JD | June 12, 2007 at 03:35 PM

A fine example of push polling. Why not ask how many Americans favor the notion that the so called temporary "Z" Visas being proposed will allow immediate, indefinite and virtually unconditional legal status before border enforcement measures have been implemented and without imposing any penalties to would be recipients whatsoever?

Posted by: StorminQ | June 12, 2007 at 03:36 PM

Yeah I'm sure they polled the Bay area and Los Angeles. Total liberals and all illegals. Duh of course you'll get this response. The Times is nothing but a mouthpiece for the pro-amnesty anti-American crowd.

This rag of a newspaper is so far left it is off the map.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Quote Originally Posted by pjr40
    This rag of a newspaper is so far left it is off the map.
    Yea. It's so bad even my bird refuses to crap on it.

My post finally showed up. I don't know why they allow comments on such fraudulent articles, all the posters prove them wrong again and again.
    Will they ever get tired of being WRONG?
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

1,183 people polled! Big deal!!!

183 people? That was probably just one household
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)