Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Most News Media Distorting Birthright Citizenship Issue

Most News Media Distorting Birthright Citizenship Issue And Advocating For Anchor Babies

By Roy Beck, Sunday, August 8, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT - posted on NumbersUSA

I'm just back from my annual week of leading teenagers in building homes for poor Americans. And I find that my former profession of journalism has gone a little wacky while I was gone, concerning reporting on the issue of birthright citizenship.

Most U.S. journalism is significantly unprofessional in covering immigration most of the time, but this last week has been among the worst I've seen.

How many times did reporters, editorial writers, columnists and anchors use phrases like "repealing the 14th amendment?"

Good grief! No opponent of birthright citizenship has talked about REPEALING the 14th amendment with all of its post-Civil War guarantees of civil rights.

But, of course, the open-borders biases of most journalists are pretty clear when they falsely seek to frame this issue as threatening the most important basis of civil rights for freed slaves and their descendants.

I'm catching up on my news reading from the week after arriving back from Appalachia (I started leading several dozen teenagers in these annual construction trips 21 years ago).

Hardly any journalists have given their readers even a hint that most of us opponents of birthright citizenship do not believe the 14th amendment even needs to be clarified. We believe Congress could pass a law requiring a baby to have at least one parent who is a citizen or legal immigrant before being given U.S. citizenship. We also believe it would be taken to court and the Supreme Court would ultimately decide.

The children born in the United States to illegal alien mothers are often referred to as "anchor babies." Under current practice, these children are U.S. citizens at birth, simply because they were born on U.S. soil. They are called anchor babies because, as U.S. citizens, they become eligible to sponsor for legal immigration most of their relatives, including their illegal alien mothers, when they turn 21 years of age, thus becoming the U.S. "anchor" for an extended immigrant family.

While there is no formal policy that forbids DHS from deporting the illegal alien parents of children born in the U.S., they rarely are actually deported. In some cases, immigration judges make exceptions for the parents on the basis of their U.S.-born children and grant the parents legal status. In many cases, though, immigration officials choose not to initiate removal proceedings against illegal aliens with U.S.-born children, so they simply remain here illegally.

Thus, the U.S.-born children of illegal aliens not only represent additional U.S. population growth, but act as 'anchors' to eventually pull a large number of extended family members into the country legally. In fact, an entire industry has built up around the U.S. system of birthright citizenship. Thousands of pregnant women who are about to deliver come to the United States each year from countries as far away as South Korea and as near as Mexico so that they can give birth on U.S. soil. Some come legally as temporary visitors; others enter illegally. Once the child is born, they get a U.S. birth certificate and passport for the child, and their future link to this country is established and irreversible

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusab ... dvocating-

ROY BECK is the CEO & Founder of NumbersUSA

NumbersUSA's blogs are copyrighted and may be republished or reposted only if they are copied in their entirety, including this paragraph, and provide proper credit to NumbersUSA. NumbersUSA bears no responsibility for where our blogs may be republished or reposted.

Views and opinions expressed in blogs on this website are those of the author. They do not necessarily reflect official policies of NumbersUSA.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Related
    NumbersUSA webpage on Birthright Citizenship
    http://www.numbersusa.com/content/issue ... nship.html

Rep. Gary Miller's H.R. 1868 introduced to End Birthright Citizenship.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When I write to the treasonous media I say nobody wants to REPEAL the 14th Amendment, we want to RESTORE it to it's original intent. So why do they print these giant lies? What evil agenda are they promoting?

Of course it would help if our Senators would say the same thing, instead of that idiot Graham saying "If you come across the border illegally and you have a child in America, automatically, that child becomes an American citizen. Under the 14th Amendment, three court cases says there's a constitutional right to that,"

There are no such court cases!!! Oh yeah, the rabid reconquistas say there are these cases, he must get his talking points from them.

Then the GOP leadership basically affirmed that by not correcting Graham's statement.

I think Graham is throwing this red herring out in hopes for getting some enforcement groups to agree to CIR, WHICH HE STILL SUPPORTS!!!! Same for other Senators like McCain, it's a giant ruse. If they really wanted to change the policy, they would support legislation to end the practice and support it through the Supreme Court.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Conservative talk show host Jason Lewis mentioned this on his show earlier tonight. He explained that a few Congressmen are proposing to fix the 14th Amendment, but then these Congressmen explain, misleadingly, that "the Constitution must be changed". Very clever. They know that it's extremely unlikely to get 2/3 of Congress and 3/4 of all states to ratify & modify the Constitution. So these Congressmen get to score "political points" before the November elections. And these proposals are unlikely to permanently offend "the Hispanic vote" of illegal alien sympathizers, who had probably intended to vote for Democrats all along.

Jason Lewis explained that we don't need to change or modify the 14th. The key phrase of the 14th, of course, is "under the jurisdiction thereof". Foreigners are not under US jurisdiction. Instead, all that is needed is for Congress to take action on the last sentence of the 14th: "The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article".

So all that is needed, explains Lewis, is for Congress to pass a simple law or laws that will mandate enforcement of (the original intention) of the 14th Amendment.

I sure wish our Federal Government would place more emphasis on enforcement.

This abuse of the 14th amendment needs to end.

Anytime you here a politician talking about poor little children SOMEBODIES wallet is going to get raided!

Of course, is it worth mentioning that said "citizens" can come back here to live as adults after having nothing to do with the United States and commit acts of terrorism? I'm sure these pro anchor baby journalist don't place a lot of emphasis on that.