Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

MS - Illegal immigration a hot-button issue in tough times

Jackson, MS 03/10/09
    Illegal immigration a hot-button issue in tough times

Posted: March 10, 2009 06:52 PM CDT

Updated: March 11, 2009 08:36 AM CDT

By Monica Hernandez - bio | email

JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - Illegal immigration is a hot-button issue, especially now that so many Americans are out of work. Some believe undocumented workers are taking American jobs, while others say the U.S. economy would crumble without them.

WLBT spoke with two men who are both striving to help their families find a better life. One man felt he had to cross a border to find a good job.

The other is searching for construction work with no luck.

"There's a possibility if, in the next couple of months, if something don't develop, my house is going to be in foreclosure," said Harvey Lawrence of Hinds County.

An interior carpenter for seven years, Lawrence was laid off in February. He's been trying to find work at new developments like Timber Falls and Forest Hills Place in South Jackson, but said all the jobs are taken- many of them by people he suspects are undocumented workers.

"I don't blame them. I understand their plight and their just trying to send money back to their families," said Lawrence. "But they need to understand this- if we ain't here, where are they going to go?"

"If we find that any subcontractor hasn't gone by the letter of the law, they will be terminated," said Clarence Chapman of Chartre Consulting. "A lot of our workers are Spanish, but they are here legally."

WLBT spoke with a worker at the development who admits he is not in the country legally. Ricardo Tapia said contractors may hire people like him because he'll work for less money.

Tapia said some of those working in the subdivision are in the U.S. legally, and some are not.

Like many others, Tapia came to the U.S. to find work so his family could have a better life.

He hails from Mexico City, and has been working in the U.S. for three years, but plans to return to Mexico this year.

The government-subsidized subdivisions Tapia works for are funded through over $4 million in tax credits. A worker's immigration status has no bearing on whether a development can receive tax credits, according to the Mississippi Home Corporation.

Meanwhile, some conservative think-tanks recently released studies estimating 300,000 construction jobs created by the stimulus law could be filled by undocumented workers.

"It looks like an attempt to generate more xenophobia," said Bill Chandler of the Mississippi Immigrants Rights Alliance. "[Undocumented workers] are not taking jobs. Employers recruit people based on qualifications and needs."

"I think it's a double insult to the American taxpayer. We're losing American jobs first, we're using tax payer money to subsidize illegal immigrants who are taking those jobs and we know they're violating federal and state laws," said Lt. Governor Phil Bryant.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=9983090
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He hails from Mexico City, and has been working in the U.S. for three years, but plans to return to Mexico this year.
    Unfortunatly once the American citizen has nothing left, they have no home to return to.......gonna do us all a favor and welcome us into Mexico because we need a job and families to support when we have no jobs left?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Employers recruit people based on qualifications and needs."
    So these people from the third world countries actually have more experience in working with plumbing and electrical and masonry then the people rght here in the good ole USA?

These people have more experience in the kind of infrastructure and it's complex workings then the American people?

"I don't blame them. I understand their plight and their just trying to send money back to their families,"
    Yeah and this is a real help on our economy too! Send the money out of the country to help someone in a third world country. The thought is great and sincere but we are also looking out for the future of this country now and especially now. If we do not exist, it will be a lot more then countries to the south of us folding,it will be other parts of the world as well. That is another area where they think of themselves ONLY!
    Bill Chandler of the Mississippi Immigrants Rights Alliance.
    Always seem to leave that one little word out of there."ILLEGAL"
    "It looks like an attempt to generate more xenophobia," said Bill Chandler of the Mississippi Immigrants Rights Alliance. "[Undocumented workers] are not taking jobs. Employers recruit people based on qualifications and needs."
    So there is another word or phrase for taking jobs? Please sir ,enlighten me on this new find!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou