Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

My County Commissioners are COWARDS!

Hispanics commend Cobb's 'courage'

By BILL HENDRICK
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/14/07

Hispanic leaders praised the Cobb County Commission on Tuesday for quashing a proposal that would have restricted the hiring of day laborers, but they said there's still work to be done to prevent discrimination against Spanish-speaking immigrants.

Jerry Gonzalez, executive director of the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials, said a perception of anti-Latino sentiment in Cobb is hurting relations between Hispanics and residents of the county.

RELATED LINK:
    • More Cobb news

He called on the commission to pass a resolution urging the federal government to find "a rational solution to our failed immigration policy."

He also said Cobb and other metro governments should not "step in" and attempt to pass regulations of their own when the issue is a federal one that should be handled by Congress.

Attorney Elise Shore of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund also praised the commission for "an act of political courage," but said it may need to make more "unpopular" decisions in the future.

The proposal would have levied fines up to $1,000 on employers who picked up workers on four-lane roads within 150 feet of a traffic signal. It was a watered down version of an earlier proposal that would have virtually banned day laborers from seeking work.

Cobb County Commission Chairman Sam Olens said the proposal was scrapped because of fears it might be ruled illegal later. He said county officials will wait for rulings in other courts around the country on similar issues.

Jamie Hernan, an attorney for Hernan Taylor & Lee, said the commission's decision was the right one constitutionally and demonstrated that "it is not open season on immigrants."

But not everyone was completely happy with Cobb County's actions.

"I'm grateful they were open to trying to understand" the position of immigrants, said Teodoro Maus, former Mexican counsel in Atlanta and now a U.S. citizen.

"But they did it not because they were trying to be nice. They did it because we were going to sue them, and, most probably, win that suit," he said in an interview. "We were prepared to go to court."

He said Hispanic organizations are now "ready to go to court" to fight Cobb County's rule that limits the number of people who can live in a household. Under the rule, each adult living in a house must have 390 square feet of space.

For example, no more than four adults could live in a 1,600-square-foot home, without getting county permission.

I read about this earlier. Man, they don't need to be letting these people push them around telling them how to run there county. The problem is these illegals think Americans are scared of them when it's the illegals who are scared or they wouldn't be pulling out the " I Will Sue You " card.

Nows the time to take back America.
    ( STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT EMPLOYMENT - BOYCOTT FIELDALE FARMS, PILGRIMS PRIDE & TYSON POULTRY )

I don't know that they are cowards - either just well paid or looking out for their own financial interests.

We need to make greedy people know we can extract a price also - so far we haven't.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hell no they shouldn't let them push them around and that's exactly what they are doing! They are calling the shots. the commissioners need to be reminded that they are in office because the people of the county elected them and not the illegal supporters.
    Boy are they going to get and earful from me!

Sounds to me like the American citizens of Cobb need to get together.
    ( STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT EMPLOYMENT - BOYCOTT FIELDALE FARMS, PILGRIMS PRIDE & TYSON POULTRY )

I really wonder what happend to their backbones...
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.