Exclusive: Barry Farber shares unique reason he rejects border-as-sieve status quo --WND

My lonely rage over illegals

Posted: August 04, 2010
1:00 am Eastern
© 2010

Chairman Mao pointed out that leniency to the guilty is cruelty to the people. When someone who's never missed a chance to be unkind to Communism relays the message of Communism's worst mass murderer, you can believe we're not in Kansas anymore.

The New York Times once told of a German veteran of World War I who threw a hostile fit when he heard his American-born son and a friend discussing how interesting it was that the Armistice was planned to take effect at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month – Nov. 11, 1918. When his son asked what his problem was, the old man wailed, "Why didn't they just stop? Why did I have to lose so many friends waiting for the clock to strike 11 on Nov. 11?"

That German veteran's rage illuminates something rare: a person feeling deeply for reasons nobody else ever thought of. I'm that way regarding amnesty for illegal aliens. The standard reasons for opposing such amnesty include crime, drugs, infringement of American sovereignty, fewer jobs for Americans, principled refusal to reward illegal behavior, etc.

I confess to lonely rage when I think of all my family and friends who were intellectually and professionally equipped to contribute materially to America, who had to go through old-fashioned American bureaucratic hell to gain admission; and then be sure to get to a post office to register as an alien before the first two weeks of January every year. (Modern American bureaucratic hell can be a relative breeze, what with computers and your whole life story now flashing into the authorities' faces at the key-touch of a Social Security number). The thought of all those anguished letters to and from Sweden and the U.K. and the unending waiting and inability to plan lives, and the need to change those plans when the mailbox failed to receive long-awaited good news from Immigration and Naturalization, plus the hefty fees we had to pay immigration lawyers – all that can challenge the most humanitarian disposition, especially while hordes of illegals swarm across the border with an officially self-paralyzed Washington seeing nothing but a flood of new votes while masses of "progressives" mobilize on this side of the border to welcome them and defend their "rights"!

I'm as many years removed from those "Let my people in!" days as that German veteran was from the trenches of World War I, but I have no trouble feeling his pain.

Now back to Chairman Mao with his gentle reminder of the evil of "leniency to the guilty." I grew up thinking that psychology was something that happened to high-school girls when their boyfriends ran off with a cheerleader, but one movie I saw in the 1960s changed my mind. The movie was "The One That Got Away" in which German actor Hardy Kruger played the role of Nazi German fighter pilot Franz von Werra, who was shot down and captured by the British. I was glad they got him. Why not? I'm Jewish and plenty old enough to "remember" Hitler's handiwork, all our European relatives murdered in the Holocaust.

Von Werra had escaped a dozen times from prison camps in Britain, so they shipped him to a camp near Toronto, Canada, where he did the same thing. By the time they shackled him wrists-and-ankles and put him under guard on a train to western Canada and an escape-proof prison, I caught myself hoping the Nazi bastard would escape again. He knew roughly where and when the train would veer very close to then-neutral America. At that point, begging to go to the toilet, he jumped out of the speeding train, survived the leap and, shackles and all, wormed his way across the border. When the American guards found him mauled beyond belief, he said, "I am a German pilot. You are neutral. I demand to be taken to the German Consulate in Detroit."

By that time, I was standing up and cheering for him! No wonder Stalin said, "Give me Hollywood for six months and I'll convert the world to Communism!" Hollywood helps you love thine enemies.

And now TV's doing the same thing, melting us down by showing us the children of illegals distraught because "Mommy doesn't have her papers and we may have to leave."

My childhood is replete with actual cases of refugees from Nazism and Communism who couldn't draw a fear-free breath as they tried to look "normal" in the "Where-are-your-papers?" countries. And their fate when the dreaded demand came was a lot more dire than Mommy packing up and leaving.

Is there any way to make a deal? Say, we go back to World War II and all of our relatives who were murdered won't have to do anything worse than pack up and leave, and then all of you can unpack and stay? OK?

The uprooted masses of Europe after World War II were called "DPs," meaning "Displaced Persons," Thousands made it to America. A genius Armenian chef named George Mardikian, the genius Armenian chef credited with turning unbearable military "chow" into tempting "cuisine," later suggested we let "DP" mean "Delayed Pilgrims."

What should "DP" mean now?

Maybe, "Deprived Proletariat"?

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=187477