Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

N.C. community colleges to enroll illegal immigrants

Published: 01:46 PM, Fri Sep 18, 2009
    N.C. community colleges to enroll illegal immigrants

RALEIGH (AP) - North Carolina's community college system voted Friday to admit illegal immigrants at its campuses next year, a move unlikely to bring an immediate surge in undocumented students given a requirement that they pay higher tuition.

The State Board of Community Colleges approved the rules, which according to proponents will provide clarity after four previous policy changes on the topic since 2001.

A no-admission policy, with some rare exceptions, has been in place since May 2008, but Friday's vote will open more opportunities for Latino residents to succeed, an advocate said.

"We are thrilled with the decision," said Marco Zarate, president of the North Carolina Society of Hispanic Professionals. "We believe that education is something that is probably one of the few things that once you have it, nobody can take it away from you."

The changes are designed to focus on children who entered the country illegally with their parents and didn't make the decision to come to America, said Stuart Fountain, chairman of the policy committee that recommended the policy change to the full board.

"These children cannot be held in limbo while the federal government decides what to do with immigration," Fountain said. "While in high school they have adopted American culture and they've learned to speak English."

Democratic Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton cast the only "no" vote against the policy in the voice vote but did not debate publicly the issue before the board. He released a statement saying that "these are extremely difficult economic times that require tough choices."

"Now is not the time to increase the demands on our already overburdened community college system," Dalton added.

The rules, which would almost mirror guidelines for University of North Carolina campuses, would allowed illegal immigrants to enroll in any of the system's 58 campuses if they have graduated from a U.S. high school.

But they also would have to pay the out-of-state tuition rate of $7,700 per year with full course loads, or nearly five times the in-state rate, according to system data. They also couldn't qualify for financial aid or take the place of students who are legally in the U.S. on crowded campuses.

The policy "is still going to very restrictive for an awful lot of these students," said Tony Asion, executive director of the Hispanic advocacy group El Pueblo, who wants in-state tuition for undocumented immigrants. "But at this point it's better than nothing."

With some campus presidents seeing 20 to 30 percent enrollment increases this year as unemployed workers try to retrain for a new career, illegal immigrants would get lower priority for admission.

"My personal belief is that we'll end up averaging no more than one or two students per college," Fountain said.

The system had 111 illegal immigrants enrolled during the 2007-08 school year, according to an outside consultant's report presented in April to the board while it formulated a policy. In 2007, the system replaced a policy giving campuses the option to enroll undocumented immigrants with a requirement that they do so.

About 50 opponents to the change picketed outside the state's community college offices Thursday while a committee discussed the policy. There were no protesters Friday.

"For our state to be assisting people illegally here to be better trained so that they can possibly take jobs or will take jobs from North Carolinians just seems to be a wrong-headed type of policy," said Ron Woodard, director of NC LISTEN, a Cary-based group that lobbies for less immigration.

Gov. Beverly Perdue, another Democrat, was also opposed to the community college enrollment change, telling reporters this week it's hard to understand why the state should educate people "when they can't work legally in the state after they're educated."

Senate Minority Leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham, criticized the decision and suggested Perdue could have lobbied more to block the change.

"This action is a slap in the face to legal North Carolina residents that desperately need access to the job training provided by our community colleges during the worst period of unemployment since the Great Depression," Berger said.

A governor has no direct authority over the board but appoints 10 of the 21 members. Perdue has appointed four of them since taking office in January.

The vast majority of states admit undocumented immigrants, Fountain said. Of 11 states reviewed in the consultant's report, five offered in-state tuition rate to undocumented immigrants, five required the out-of-state rate and South Carolina had a ban on admissions for illegal immigrants.

The new policy "keeps us in the mainstream of educational thought in the United States," Fountain said.

The policy still must go through a procedure required of most rules approved by state agencies. The Legislature could still have the opportunity to reject the rule when it reconvenes in May or override it with its own law.

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/09/18/934956
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We are required by international law to educate children until age of 18.
    The rules, which would almost mirror guidelines for University of North Carolina campuses, would allowed illegal immigrants to enroll in any of the system's 58 campuses if they have graduated from a U.S. high school.
    We are not required to educate into college. And it is crime to be in our country illegally?

These people are aiding and abetting illegal aliens.

Why aren't they being arrested?

NC LEGISLATORS GET BUSY ON THIS IMMEDIATELY! WAKE UP NORTH CAROLINA!

So who is hiring these illegals? Traitors and committing treason to destroy The United States for the rich global elitist.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gov. Beverly Perdue, another Democrat, was also opposed to the community college enrollment change, telling reporters this week it's hard to understand why the state should educate people "when they can't work legally in the state after they're educated."
    BRAVO!
    The policy still must go through a procedure required of most rules approved by state agencies. The Legislature could still have the opportunity to reject the rule when it reconvenes in May or override it with its own law.
    In May? Of what year? At least we all have a chance to call and email our gentle thoughts about overturning the reversal of the reversal of the previous reversal of this rule, which was also reversed. Have I missed any? This is getting pretty embarassing.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

REREAD! Don't you get paid by NC taxpayers money!

Dear Mr. Sullins:

I request to know who and what gave this limited group of people the power to aid and abet foreign countries.

Has everyone in this group filed a FARA form?

On September 8, 2009 E-Verify was enacted to check Federal Contracts over $100,000 to control and check who is getting American Jobs.

Doesn't our Community Colleges get funding over the amount of $100,000?

The North Carolina Citizens have been abused by allowing illegal aliens to be included in the GPAs of High School Ranking Legal Citizens. I cannot wait until 85% of North Carolina realizes the extent of the abuse done to our High School Students Entering Colleges.

Currently, it seems that Governor Perdue does not want a reversal from not allowing illegal aliens into the Community College System for valid reasons. From high unemployment rates to the legal status requirements of immigrants to even enter into the workforce in our State or Country the Governor is right on point.

North Carolina Citizen, Taxpayer, and Voter,
    Me

--- On Fri, 9/18/09, Richard Sullins <sullinsr@nccommunitycolleges.edu> wrote:

Subject: Re: Power of the NC Community Colleges
    To:
    Date: Friday, September 18, 2009, 11:19 AM

Dear Me,

I just wanted to send you a short note of thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding admissions policies at our institutions, particularly as they relate to illegal immigrants. As the State Board of Community Colleges has worked with the many facets of this question for the past year, it has been very helpful to the members to carefully listen to the perspectives of citizens from across the state and beyond, on all sides of the issue, as the implications of potential policies are being considered.

It is my pleasure to have made your comments and thoughts available to the members of the State Board on your behalf, and they have asked that I express to your their sincere thanks for the time and effort that you contributed to share them on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Richard W. Sullins, M.A., Ed.
    Executive Director of the State Board and Education Policy Liaison
    North Carolina Community College System
    200 West Jones Street
    Raleigh, NC 27603-1379
    Phone: 919.807.6969
    sullinsr@nccommunitycolleges.edu

E-Mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law (NCGS 132) and may be disclosed to third parties.

>>> 9/18/2009 8:36 AM >>>

Dear Mr. Sullins:

I request to know who gave this limited group of people the power to aid and abet foreign countries.

Has everyone in this group filed a FARA form?

On September 8, 2009 E-Verify was enacted to check Federal Contracts over $100,000 to control and check who is getting American Jobs.

Doesn't our Community Colleges get funding over the amount of $100,000?

The North Carolina Citizens have been abused by allowing illegal aliens to be included in the GPAs of High School Ranking. I cannot wait until 85% of North Carolina realizes the extent of the abuse done to our High School Students Entering Colleges.

Currently, it seems that Governor Perdue does not want a reversal from not allowing illegal aliens into the Community College System for valid reasons. From high unemployment rates to the legal status requirements of immigrants to even enter into the workforce in our State or Country the Governor is right on point.

North Carolina Citizen, Taxpayer, and Voter,
    Me

PS - I look forward to your reply.

Remember E-Verify on 8 September 2009 was finally enacted.

Then 17 September 2009 NC Com. College Board votes to allow illegal aliens back into our NC colleges.

Doesn't start until April 2010 in our Colleges; call our Governor's Office for executive order against this action. And contact the legislators daily on the issue. And the Attorney General may can stop this again? We must get their attention somehow.

Would a Citizen Petition help us?

The system had 111 illegal immigrants enrolled during the 2007-08 school year, according to an outside consultant's report presented in April to the board while it formulated a policy.
    I thought they didn't ask about legal status, but now they're admitting they know exactly how many are illegal aliens? This is total BS, they should be calling ICE!! Instead, they are aiding and abetting the rape of taxpayer dollars by criminals!! [/quote]
    "

The Attorney General and SBI should do an investigation. AZ-Joe Arpaio would be nice to have in all 3,000 district in the nation, too. Wish list!

"miguelina" acording to the paper I got it says that some of the campuses ask the question if they are here in the US legally. But as the article further states. How many will tell the truth when they are afraid of being deported!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Dear Governor Perdue:

I am begging you to do an executive order to require everyone to use E-VERIFY.

One - The recently stimulus money spending I question due to my knowledge that contractors are not required to E-Verify employees or I-9s.

Two - Our state ESC (unemployment offices) only E-Verify MIGRATE FARM WORKERS. Why not E-Verify all I-9s? It is FREE! Social Security Numbers are run through a checking system so why aren't all I-9s?

Three - The recent action taken by our Community College Board with no regard to over 80% of NC Citizens not wanting illegal immigrants allowed into our colleges should be of grave concern to you.

In my North Carolina Citizen opinion I say aiding and abetting illegal immigrants is a CRIME, still.

Please take executive action and require everyone to E-Verify all employees in the State of North Carolina. Arizona requires the use of E-Verifying from my understanding.

So very concerned,