Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

N.Y.: 4 bills on driver's licenses planned

4 bills on driver's licenses planned
    Legislative proposals expected to be symbolic show of reaction to Spitzer's plan to ease requirements

By JAMES M. ODATO, Capitol bureau

First published: Saturday, October 20, 2007

ALBANY -- Four bills dealing with illegal immigrants seeking driver's licenses will be ready for action next week when the Legislature returns for a brief session.
    The measures are expected to be no more than symbolic, underscoring how some lawmakers feel about Gov. Eliot Spitzer's license plan. Three are from Republican legislators; one is from a Democratic assemblywoman.

The GOP members have rallied over their opposition to Spitzer's initiative, citing concerns about security and the prospect of giving such high-value identification to terrorists. The governor's order would remove a requirement that a person have a Social Security number or a letter showing why they are ineligible for one. County clerks would have to issue licenses to people if they can produce enough identification, such as a passport or birth certificate.

Some clerks say they will disregard the governor's policy. Even some Democrats dislike it.

Assembly Majority Leader Ron Canestrari said he is unsure of his position. He said the Assembly won't be taking up any of the measures proposed.

"I don't know where I am on it to be honest; I'm conflicted," he said. "I can see pros and cons. What I would find unsettling is the level of discussion and rhetoric, which is over the top by some people."

The bills include one recently submitted by Sen. Frank Padavan, R-Bellrose. He seeks a law to require applicants for state ID documents to provide proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence in the United States.

"The Department of Motor Vehicles has reported an increase in the number of cases of illegal aliens fraudulently obtaining and using state driver's licenses," Padavan said. "Particularly since September 11, 2001, the state has a compelling interest in preventing illegal aliens from securing driver's licenses and non-driver identification cards."

Assemblywoman Ginny Fields, D-Sayville, has an identical bill in the Assembly. It calls for driver's license applicants to provide proof if they are ineligible for a Social Security number.

Other bills include:

Sen. Andrew Lanza, R-Staten Island, calls for the state to require a Social Security number or proof of authorized presence in the United States to obtain a driver's license to help "guarantee the safety and security of all New Yorkers."

Assembly Minority Leader James Tedisco, R-Schenectady, would require that photos, proof of age, fitness, identity and Social Security numbers or proof of ineligibility for a Social Security card be mandatory and not at the DMV commissioner's discretion.

http://timesunion.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Assembly Majority Leader Ron Canestrari said he is unsure of his position. He said the Assembly won't be taking up any of the measures proposed.

Now there's an underwhelming leader.