Opinion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Nation of Minutemen
By Tim Donnelly
Jul 4, 2005, 22:50

Email this article
Printer friendly page

On July 4th 1776, there were two kinds of Americans: those patriots who believed in America, and were willing to give their lives for it, and those called Torries, who would wanted to remain part of England.
Independence Day became a somber occasion for our family upon hearing that a good friend of my sister had been among those 20 special forces soldiers killed in Afganistan. He was a member of SEAL Team TEN. He introduced my sister to her husband, a fellow Seal, and read at her wedding. His friendship to my brother-in-law goes back to high school. This man would gladly give his life in defense of this nation, in the cause of freedom. He served knowing that such a day might come when he would not make it back alive.

That never deterred him. Such is the creed of heroes.

It breaks my heart to hear of an entire helicopter full of such heroes is gone. Who will replace them? Certainly not the 10,000 illegal aliens who sneak past our so-called Homeland Security every day. This is not meant to demean the service of non-citizens (including a handfull of illegal aliens) who have fought and died for this country, but by and large, illegal aliens by their own admission just come for "a better life," for "a chance to work to send money home."

Those brave Americans who perished that day served their nation at great peril and paid the ultimate price so that others could have a better life, and yet we allow those whose only goal is "a better life" for themselves take their place in this land.

And there are American citizens willing to hand over all rights of citizenship to those who breach our borders, and break our law by sneaking in the back door to steal the American dream from those waiting in line to come here the proper way, through the front door by immigrating legally.

Here is an excerpt from a story entitled, "Border is a blurring line" (part of series called "Crossing the Line â€â€