Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar

Navarette (the JERK): Blame me for illegal immigrants

What an idiot this bozo is..... With people of all ages out of work and he's blaming us for the IA problem......
    SEE COMMENTS

---------------------------------------

Blame me for illegal immigrants

By Ruben Navarrette Jr., Special to CNN
    April 9, 2010 7:57 a.m. EDT

Editor's note: Ruben Navarrette Jr. is a member of the San Diego Union-Tribune editorial board, a nationally syndicated columnist and a regular contributor to CNN.com.

San Diego, California (CNN) -- Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-NY, and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-SC, are demonstrating real leadership on a tough issue. The issue: immigration. Their solution: a comprehensive reform bill combining enforcement with earned legal status for illegal immigrants, which they appear ready to introduce any day now.

But before Congress returns to a debate that tied it up in knots a few years ago, and before Americans begin arguing -- on talk radio and blogs, at water coolers and Little League games -- over what to do about border security, workforce needs, the process for immigrating legally, and the status of 10.3 million illegal immigrants, we need to be absolutely clear about why the United States has so much illegal immigration in the first place.

Until we can answer that question candidly and without regard for hurt feelings, we'll never be able to curb the future flow of illegal immigrants. Americans remember the debate over the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act, which offered amnesty to nearly 2.7 million illegal immigrants.

Now, many of them want a guarantee that, if they go along with offering illegal immigrants what would this time be a conditional legal status (as opposed to "amnesty"), they won't have to go through all this again in another 24 years.

Well, that's up to us -- and how we address the question: Why does the United States have so much illegal immigration?

The answer is not as simple as what you hear from the right -- that we haven't been serious about border enforcement, and have instead created a social services magnet that draw migrants north in search of free benefits. And it's not as simple as what you hear from the left -- that trade deals like NAFTA have destroyed the Mexican economy and thus propelled immigrants north in search of higher wages.

It's not just because of porous borders, or a reluctance to punish employers who hire illegal immigrants, or because Mexico is a "failed state" that can't provide enough jobs for its own people.

Everyone likes to point fingers. And no one wants to accept any degree of responsibility for the problem. That's what many Americans find so appealing about this fantastical rhetoric about how the country is experiencing an "invasion" as if we were all sitting in our backyards and minding our own business when, over the horizon, came an army of nannies, gardeners, housekeepers, short-order cooks, chamber maids, construction workers and farm laborers demanding to do our chores.

Why does the United States have so much illegal immigration?

I know the answer. It's my fault. It's because of me, and tens of millions of other Americans just like me. We create the demand for illegal immigrant labor not because of anything we do but because of all the things that we will not do -- at any wage. Even as someone who juggles several jobs, I have to admit that my work ethic -- especially for hard, physical labor -- is a distant second to that of my immigrant grandfather who came from Mexico legally in the early 1900's.

My grandfather was a farm worker who would make it a point to show up to a job early and start working a half hour before he clocked in, as his way of showing appreciation to his employer for hiring him. There are days when my employer doesn't see me before noon, because I'm writing somewhere else or giving a speech or making my kids breakfast.

My grandfather would do any kind of work without complaint and graciously accept whatever wages were offered because he felt as if the employer was doing him a favor by giving him a way to support his family. When I start a new job, I instinctively negotiate for a higher salary and more vacation time than I had at my last one -- that is, more money for less work -- and I usually feel like I'm doing the employer a favor by showing up.

Now multiply me by 10 million or 20 million. And amplify it for all those Americans who are younger than me, those 18-to-35-year-olds who have been raised by their parents to shun hard work and think of themselves as special and entitled to high-paying and non-strenuous jobs that are also emotionally satisfying.

If Americans want to stop importing foreign workers, either legally or illegally, then we had better start producing domestic workers who will do the kinds of hard and dirty jobs that our grandparents did without complaint -- and that now, these many years later, most of us won't do without complaining.

You won't hear that from members of Congress. They're too worried about staying popular with constituents, and insulting parenting skills would not be helpful. But lawmakers have to get over that, and start dealing with the issue of illegal immigration with honesty and courage. Or they'll only make the problem worse.

Listen up, Congress. A lot of you like to beat your chests and talk tough on this issue. Well, in this case, the problem is with your constituents. They're the ones who need the scolding. Have at it.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Ruben Navarrette Jr.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/04/09/n ... index.html

This is such BS! Americans have been screaming for border security for YEARS now only to be ignored .... totally ignored by those in power.

Look at the Krentz family and all the other ranchers and residents along the border. Thier requests have also fallen on deaf ears.

I blame the politicians who's job it is to protect us...they have fallen woefully short of that.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Now, many of them want a guarantee that, if they go along with offering illegal immigrants what would this time be a conditional legal status (as opposed to "amnesty"), they won't have to go through all this again in another 24 years.
    Been there, done that. It's laughable that illegals complain that they've waited a whole year for Obama to make good on his promise of giving them a free ride to citizenship. I've been waiting for the promised enforcement since 1986.

In this article, Ruben implies that all Americans are lazy and don't want to work hard, while Mexicans are honest and industrious. Rubbish!! There are lazy in every society and there are industrious in every society. Ruben, however, appears to be part of the "gimme" group. I can guarantee you that I am not a part of that group. I do my own yardwork, clean my own house, scoop my dogs' poop, because I take pride in an attractive and clean home. This article is an insult to every one of us hardworking Americans.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Too many Pro ILLEGAL comments on the source article.

Quote Originally Posted by lccat
    Too many Pro ILLEGAL comments on the source article.
    There must have been well over a hundred comments. A good response to the "jobs that Americans won't do" argument is that our technology will always advance and eliminate a lot of jobs, including the manual jobs that illegal aliens may be doing. It never has been and never will be an orderly process, but over the course of our nations hisotry a lot of occupations have become obsolete and frequnetly are replaced with automation or other labor saving devices. Even the "cleaning toilets" canard is becoming obsolete as automatically flushing plumbing is being installed across the country, eliminating ( no pun intended) the disasters that used to plague public bathrooms.

Telephone operator jobs have been disappearing, newspaper jobs are starting to go, bank teller jobs have been going. Except where special interest groups have been able to bring lawsuits, the general trend of our technology and industry is to do away with manual and a lot of clerical jobs. People like Navarette are just useless drains on our society because all he does is spout his ill informed opinions; too bad the LA Times doesn't have the guts to fire him; the only logical benefit to the Times is if he is attracting a readership that buys things from their advertisers. LA Times readership, like other newspapers, is probably dwindling.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

LOL what an idiot! I wonder what Ruben's answer would be when asked why illegal aliens don't want to work as farm workers, et. al; illegal aliens want to work at easier jobs than that and make more money.

There are NO jobs Americans won't do, there ARE jobs illegal aliens won't do. Case in point...coal mines. How many illegal aliens work in coal mines?

The blame lies with greedy employers and unions who want to squeeze the most profit out of their products. The blame also lies with illegal aliens who will lie, cheat and steal their way thru this country. The victims are Americans.
    "