Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: NC: Group of Illegals on Hunger Strike Until Demands Are Met

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC: Group of Illegals on Hunger Strike Until Demands Are Met

Piedmont group on hunger strike to support undocumented immigrant

Posted on: 6:10 pm, March 8, 2012, by Deven Swartz and Mitch Carr, updated on: 07:40pm, March 8, 2012

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — A group of Piedmont students have not eaten for more than 100 hours in support of an undocumented immigrant from Winston-Salem who wants to be a U.S. citizen.

Members from the group El Cambio, which translates to The Change, have been on a hunger strike since Monday night.
    “I feel so weak. It’s crazy. You just feel like you need a nap constantly,” said Silvia Rodriguez, an El Cambio member who is participating in the hunger strike.
    When asked if she was willing to die for the cause, Rodriguez said, “Yes. If it makes people more aware of the cause, I am.”
    The group is striking in support of Uriel Alberto, who has been in the United States illegally since he was 7. He is at risk for being deported since he has a DUI on his record.
    Police arrested Alberto Feb. 29 after disrupting a select committee meeting in Raleigh. Alberto began his hunger strike the night of his arrest.
    “I’m undocumented, unafraid, unashamed,” Alberto said at the meeting. “I did something for myself, and I didn’t just lay down and let these men pass laws that affected myself and my community without putting my two cents in.”
    “It’s very disrespectful to interrupt a meeting, but to just stand up they should not have received that much hatred,” Rodriguez said.
    Alberto and members of El Cambio want citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants–some of whom, as Rodriguez put it, unknowingly broke the country’s first laws before they said their first words.
    “Some of these kids were two years old when they were brought here,” Rodriguez said. “These undocumented students have nothing to do with the fact that they were brought here. Simply their parents were looking to give them a better future.”
    The group said it will continue its strike until Alberto is out of the Wake County Jail and until the state starts taking their cause seriously.
    The members of the hunger strike are from Winston-Salem, Mount Airy and Yadkinville, among others.
    Alberto also has a 2-year-old son.

Piedmont group on hunger strike to support undocumented immigrant | MyFOX8.com

Hasta la vista bucko!

“These undocumented students have nothing to do with the fact that they were brought here. Simply their parents were looking to give them a better future.”

At whos expense? Who has suffered because of the increased numbers of illegals? The America citizens and the immigrants coming here legally that's who! I don't care how young these kids were when they came here, their parents brought them here illegally and must pay the consequences. Instead, all they want is to be rewarded, catered to and have life handed to them on a silver platter. It doesn't work that way.

No problem, they will eat when they get hungry. Their choice, no else's responsibility.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Just wait till that micro switch in their tummy starts to go off cuz, it is rubbing their back bone and starts to send a message to the brain. Gee, I think I need to eat.......see how long they last.

Yea, last time they went on a "Hunger Strike" in Raleigh, NC someone caught them eating candy bars at night and the next day the strike was miraculously called off citing health concerns for one of the illegal alien girls lol.

This is all political theater. None of these chubby illegal aliens is going to go without food for more than a few days and if that!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

good don't eat .
    No amnesty or dream act

“I’m undocumented, unafraid, unashamed,” Alberto said
    And there is the problem!! Our government has been so lax enforcing our laws that not only are these students unafraid, they make even more demands of our government. They honestly believe they have a right to representation. And it's our own government at fault.

BTW, my dog refused a new brand of kibble until he got good and hungry. It will work with these kids too. Wow, a whole 100 hours. My sympathy is with American kids whose parents are out of work and can't provide enough food for the family. Maybe we should drive these kids out to the local Indian reservation and see how some Americans live.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hunger strikes don't work anyway. May get a little publicity but that is about it.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Supporters hold rally for jailed undocumented man
    Updated at 10:44 PM today

Steve Dorsey

RALEIGH -- The momentum of support is growing behind an undocumented man who is locked up at the Wake County Jail. The Winston-Salem man was arrested last week after protesting at a state immigration committee hearing at the General Assembly.

Now, Uriel Alberto is holding a hunger strike. Supporters told ABC11 that he hasn't eaten in a week, and won't do so until he's free.

Alberto's supporters gathered outside the jail Friday evening in a show of solidarity. They made signs and spoke out against his incarceration.

Alberto was arrested last Wednesday for disrupting a committee hearing on immigration, and charged with disorderly conduct.

According to supporters, reforming immigration law has been Alberto's passion. Two others were also arrested but later released.

Alberto's bond is only $2,000 but supporters said immigration and customs enforcement officials have prevented his release.

"By him taking a stand like that, like the other two, they're telling other youth like me and around the state that we don't have to be afraid anymore," said supporter Jose Rico.

Supporters said Alberto is on a hunger strike, fighting the same laws that keep him behind bars.

"What's going on with immigrants in this country is unjust and I'm here to stand up for immigrants throughout North Carolina and throughout the country," said supporter Ashley Fischer. "And what Uriel did was incredibly brave and I'm here to support him."

Alberto's advocates said he's a young devoted father, college-educated, and motivated.

"He's someone who deserves to stay in this country," said Fischer. "And by deporting him, ICE isn't doing their jobs. They're ripping apart families."

Some supporters have also joined Alberto in their own hunger strike.

Supporters hold rally for jailed undocumented man | abc11.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast