Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC: Sheriff asks for federal training

http://link.toolbot.com/journalnow.com/73324

Saturday, April 7, 2007

Sheriff asks for federal training
    Surry jail staff would identify illegal aliens

By Sherry Youngquist
    JOURNAL REPORTER

The Surry County Sheriff’s Office is asking for federal training, similar to what several counties in North Carolina are considering, to help deputies deport inmates they find to be illegal.

“The training would be for detention staff so that when people come in they can interview people they believe to be illegal aliens, people previously deported, people using false identifications, illegal aliens who have been convicted before,” Sheriff Graham Atkinson said this week.

Surry has submitted an application to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, but it has not been approved.

In North Carolina, the sheriff’s offices in Alamance, Cabarrus, Gaston and Mecklenburg counties have received such training and are working with federal agents to deport illegal immigrants.

Training is provided at no cost to local law enforcement, said Jeff Jordan, an assistant special agent in charge at the Charlotte office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

There are some qualifying factors, such as having space in local jails to hold illegal immigrants for a several days until immigration officials can pick them up.

“The program has been available since the mid-1990s.… There’s a need, and it just became … it was effective, and others have seen the effectiveness. It’s one way the local government can assist in the immigration-enforcement area,” Jordan said.

Mecklenburg County deputies were trained in March 2006 and began processing individuals believed to be illegal immigrants in May 2006.

Deputies say that since then, they have processed 3,187 people who were thought to be in the country illegally. Of those, 1,736 were placed in removal proceedings.

“That takes them out of our jail and gives them to the custody of ICE,” said Julia Rush, a spokeswoman for the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office.

Atkinson is hopeful that Surry will get to use the program to help reduce the local jail population.

“It’s not about trying to round up every illegal alien in the county because that’s not the purpose,” he said. “What it does, it picks out the worst of them.”
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Good article! It's a start in the right direction. It would be nice to hear how fast the process from apprehension to deporation takes place. If released do they show up in court?

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Wow, so much information!

I had to go back and read it again. It is for people arrested whom are currently in prison or jail. So, many illegal immigrants arrested are fingerprinted as White and it's difficult to get stats on race. However, you can tell when they don't speak the language, have documents that don't match up and many times lie and are fingerprinted as Doe,Jose . They pretty much stand right out there.

Thanks for all the information!

JJ

287 (

This is the 287 (g) immigration program. It makes the local police almost ICE agents. I have spoken to Julia Rush. Very nice lady.

JJ

I hope this is the result of our activities we started last year when we asked everyone to carry the 287(g) information to their local police and Sheriff's departments.

With Congressman Charles Taylor and Sue Myrick enrolling all of their counties, we were hoping this would spread. Now we have Alamance and Surry counties and Wake county is under a lot of pressure to join this.

The Wake County Sheriff, Donnie Harrison, knows that the next time a citizen is killed by an illegal alien he had in his jail before he is out of a job.

There was a 38 year old father and his young son from the Clayton area that were incinerated in a crash with another drunk driving illegal alien the Sheriff had previously incarcerated without deportation.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I so agree with this program. I have been working on our city hall/police starting officers in the 287g program. We have a county jail in Waukegan as well -perfect place to check identities/country of origin/past crimes...

I've got to bring Waukegan back up on the focus campaign and maybe be can all ask again?

I sent yesterday's article about the 287g program to my city hall people yesterday. Heard back from one thanking me for the info.

Also saw this in our council minutes -is the subject going to be talked about finally?!

ALDERMAN TENPAS
    ALDERMEN#65533;S TIME:

29. Tired of seeing cars in the driveways with Wisconsin plates for months at a time. Yard waste starts April 15. There is so much paper thrown in the yards, we need to do something about all this littering. We need to get tough with the loud music.

http://www.waukeganweb.net/minutes03-19-07.htm

What

“It’s not about trying to round up every illegal alien in the county because that’s not the purpose,” he said. “What it does, it picks out the worst of them.”

Why not get them all? They are all illegal criminals.