Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC: Smaller tax refund check leads to ID theft charge

Smaller tax refund check leads to ID theft charge

April 18, 2008 - 9:20AM
    Times-News

A Burlington man discovered that his identity had been stolen after he received his state tax refund and more than $288 was missing from it.

He checked with the N.C. Department of Revenue, which said that he failed to pay his water bill in Raleigh and part of his refund was garnished. There was one catch: He didn't live in Raleigh and shouldn't have had any unpaid debts there.

James Walker contacted the Alamance County Sheriff's Department April 1 after he realized that someone must have stolen his identity. Following an investigation, the sheriff's department Thursday charged Jimence Carlos Aqudelo, 40, of Neuse Commons Lane, Raleigh, with identity theft. Aqudelo also uses the name Jose Armando Sierra Martinez, according to a sheriff's department news release.

He was placed in jail under $8,000 bond, the release states.

Following an investigation, authorities discovered that Aqudelo used Walker's Social Security number to get water service in Raleigh.

Raleigh police assisted sheriff's department investigators. Aqudelo, who was used the name Martinez to get water service, was brought to the Alamance County jail and processed under the 287(g) program.

"They were able to determine that Mr. Martinez was actually Jimence Carlos Aqudelo, a previously deported illegal alien from Columbia," the release states.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/ref...aller_tax.html
    - Sidney

Another tar heel suffers from this illegal invasion an yet our Governor Weasly and our so called represenitives sits there in Raleigh on their collective ... and do nothing as usual.
    **Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "man, what a rid

Stolen Identity Linked To Illegal Immigrant
    A Burlington man discovered a suspicious charge on his tax return is linked to an illegal immigrant.

April 20, 2008

Alamance County, NC -- A Burlington man knew something wasn't right when his tax refund was much less than expected. The state had garnished some of it for an unpaid water bill that wasn't his. The Alamance County Sheriff's Department says this is a case of identity theft.

We've learned the state charged James Walker 288 dollars for an overdue water bill that actually belonged to Jimence Carlos Aqudelo. We're told he's an illegal immigrant who didn't even live in the same town as Walker.

Walker never expected to get a water bill from Raleigh. "That's what really upset me you know.. water and sewage.. something I ain't, don't even know.. have no idea what's going on, where.. what happened… in Raleigh," says Walker.

The state department of revenue garnished Walker's tax refund to pay a water bill someone else set up using his social security number. "How would you get a hold of something like that?" asks Walker.

Alamance County sheriff's deputies say what happened to Walker is happening more often. "I don't know what else to do to protect my social security because I don't know.. have no idea how they got it," says Walker.

Experts recommend you check your credit report at least once a year, and watch for suspicious mail. Things like solicitations you don't normally receive and statements with your name on it that show transactions you did not make mean it's time to notify police.

Walker hopes he can keep identity thieves out of his pocket from now on. "I need my money. I ain't a rich person.. 288 dollars a whole lot to me," he says.

Click on the link below for more details on protecting your social security number.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/idtheft.htm

www.digtriad.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

QUESTION NOW BECOMES DOES THE MAN GET THE 288 BACK?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    QUESTION NOW BECOMES DOES THE MAN GET THE 288 BACK?
    I have done some research on this, usually they don't or they have to fight tooth and nail. I think the IRS is more reasonable than the credit bureaus. I have read where even after a conviction the big three will not remove the negatives placed there by the ID thief.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Another crime against an American and this goes on all day long in our own country!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Following an investigation, the sheriff's department Thursday charged Jimence Carlos Aqudelo, 40, of Neuse Commons Lane, Raleigh, with identity theft. Aqudelo also uses the name Jose Armando Sierra Martinez, according to a sheriff's department news release.
    I don't know how to put this, and I don't want to sound prejudiced or be accused of "profiling", but I just dont understand how ANYONE could not question a Social Security card under the name of James Walker, in the hands of a person who just doesn't look like a James Walker?

Anyway, why in the hell are illegal aliens offered bond? And isnt 8,000 dollars low, especially for this kind of crime? And if bail is posted, what makes anyone think he won't run back where he came from.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn