Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC: Trooper seizes $1.9 million in cocaine

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satel ... 9192039209

Wednesday, December 6, 2006
    Trooper seizes $1.9 million in cocaine
    About 42 pounds were found in car after man stopped for tailgating

By Dan Galindo
    JOURNAL REPORTER

A case of tailgating on U.S. 52 led the N.C. Highway Patrol to $1.9 million in cocaine hidden in a car.

Trooper J.S. Wooten stopped a northbound car in Forsyth County about 3:30 p.m. Monday for following another car too closely, said Lt. Everett Clendenin, a spokesman for the patrol in Raleigh.

Wooten and his supervisors were in training yesterday and unavailable for interviews. Clendenin gave a brief account of the arrest:

When Wooten spoke to the driver, the driver appeared nervous, Clendenin said.

The patrol identified the driver as Francisco Gerardo Martinez-Aranda, 30, of Mexico City.

Wooten felt that Martinez-Aranda's story about what he was doing in North Carolina didn't make sense.

"He mentioned several states," for where he was heading and where he had been, Clendenin said.

Court papers indicate that Martinez-Aranda told Wooten that he had been in the country for about four days.

Wooten got Martinez-Aranda's consent to search the car and found more than 19 kilograms, or about 42 pounds, of cocaine in a hidden compartment that Clendenin would only describe as in the back of the car.

Wooten arrested Martinez-Aranda on two counts of trafficking cocaine. The car, a 2003 Toyota Matrix, is registered in North Carolina but not to Martinez-Aranda.

Clendenin said that troopers were still investigating. The cocaine was estimated to have a value of $1.9 million.

Despite its size, it not the largest seizure in recent years, local law-enforcement agencies said, but precise figures were not available yesterday.

So far this year, Winston-Salem police have seized about 16.6 kilograms, or 37 pounds, of powdered cocaine and about 2.8 kilograms, or 6 pounds, of crack cocaine, although the police department's statistics do not include some cases investigated with other agencies.

Local drug-seizure numbers for the patrol were not available yesterday, Clendenin said.

• Dan Galindo can be reached at 727-7377 or at dgalindo@wsjournal.com.
    Subscribe to the Newspaper
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great job.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Which way General ?" "Either. If one road led to hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent as to which to take." NBF 1864
    Nicely said. I was wondering if the MS-13 problem is getting any better in NC, especially in Charlotte. This drug problem is probably linked to MS-13 in one way or the other. I am surprised how much the gang graffiti has increased in the little towns between Raleigh and the ocean towns. It is very sad.

I think the drug problem's getting worse. An officer from the gang unit said last year they'd send some home two or three times. Just a vacation for the bangers.

I have two words for gang members: capital punishment. The chance of reforming these guys are next to nothing. I am sick that innocent people have to live in fear and the people inflicting harm are catered too. Remember the American kid in Singapore who got caned for vandalism? If our country did something that actually worked, maybe we would see less crime. Providing food, shelter and clothing, even in a prison setting is more than some of these guys had back home. It is hardly a deterent.