Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NE-LB 403 Passes - Denies Benefits to Illegal Immigrants

Bill prohibits public benefits for illegal aliens

State Sen. Mark Christensen
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Legislature finished the 55th day of the 90-day session last Friday, and passed 12 bills on Final Reading. One of the bills passed was Legislative Bill 403, which prohibits public benefits for illegal aliens, and requires their verification for benefits, public employment, and state tax incentives. I voted for the bill and it passed with a strong 44-0-5 vote.
    The bill prohibits state agencies and political subdivisions of the state from providing public benefits to a person not lawfully present in the United States. This also includes no involvement in any public retirement system.

The way the public benefits prohibition will be implemented is by requiring state agencies and political subdivisions to verify the legal presence of each applicant through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements Program -- S.A.V.E. -- operated by Homeland Security. This should help make sure that U.S. citizens and those who are legally in the country are the only ones eligible for public benefits.

In addition to public benefits, LB 403 would require every public employer and public contractor to register with and use E-Verify, which is the work eligibility program with Homeland Security, to verify the eligibility of all new employees. The Nebraska Department of Labor will also provide private employers information about E-Verify and encourage its use among the private sector.

Though this portion does not go far enough in my opinion to require private employers to use E-Verify, it is a step in the right direction.

The last segment of the bill would direct the Tax Commissioner to not approve or grant to any employer any tax incentive unless the taxpayer provides evidence that they have electronically verified the work eligibility of all new employees in Nebraska. This would apply to all incentives applied for under the Nebraska Advantage Rural Development Act, Nebraska Advantage Act, Nebraska Advantage Research and Development Act, or the Nebraska Advantage Microenterprise Tax Credit Act. Again, I believe this is a good idea to ensure we are not rewarding businesses, which do not follow the law, with tax incentives.

This is an important beginning step forward for Nebraska regarding illegal immigration, as we make sure we are not providing an incentive for more illegal activity through public benefits for illegal aliens.

If you have comments, concerns, or questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1528458.html

WOW 44-0. way to go nebraska

This is an important beginning step forward for Nebraska regarding illegal immigration, as we make sure we are not providing an incentive for more illegal activity through public benefits for illegal aliens.
    Why cannot all of our elected officials use this common sense! It's really not that difficult to simply enforce the law and not reward those who entered this country in violation of our immigration laws.

Way to go Nebraska!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great job!

What are they doing in the case of anchor babies? Eligibility is based on the parents income. If the parents are illegal aliens, does this mean all benefits to their anchor kids are denied? If not, by what right are they held to special standards?

As an American, I have to provide a ton of proof to determine eligibility. My kids are minors and depend on me to provide for them. If I cannot prove "need" benefits are denied. Can the same be said for illegal alien parents of anchor babies? It should.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Whooo Hooo! Lets hope this trend continues!

LB403

You are right if you agree it does not go far enough. We still have Illegal alien harbor towns here. Lexington, Fremont, Schuyler...I will continue to get the word out in Nebraska.

Nice
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Very valid point about the anchor babies. I've heard that the way illegals get all the free prenatal care, Medicaid, Wic, etc. is through their U.S. born children who are considered "Americans" in need. Anchor baby citizenship must be stopped immediately before it bankrupts us!

Quote Originally Posted by hattiecat
    Very valid point about the anchor babies. I've heard that the way illegals get all the free prenatal care, Medicaid, Wic, etc. is through their U.S. born children who are considered "Americans" in need. Anchor baby citizenship must be stopped immediately before it bankrupts us!
    That is such an excellent question, I sent an e-mail to Sen. Mark Christensen and asked him that very question. I will let you guys know what he says.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Great job!

What are they doing in the case of anchor babies? Eligibility is based on the parents income. If the parents are illegal aliens, does this mean all benefits to their anchor kids are denied? If not, by what right are they held to special standards?

As an American, I have to provide a ton of proof to determine eligibility. My kids are minors and depend on me to provide for them. If I cannot prove "need" benefits are denied. Can the same be said for illegal alien parents of anchor babies? It should.
    In AZ, illegal aliens don't qualify for most benefits, but of course their anchor babies do. They are actually more likely to qualify, and they qualify for higher amounts of food stamps, because their parents are illegal, using someone else's name and ssn to work, so the state obviously can't run their name through a computer and see where/if they are working. They simply don't tell what name they are working under. Then the anchors get more food stamps, because mama is supporting X number of kids with no/little income, and of course she says she has no idea where the father/fathers is/are, so he doesn't have to be ordered to pay child support (Americans who apply for medical for their children have to give dad's name & other info, so he can be ordered to pay support directly to the state, so the state can get some money back before sending the remaining $ to the mother).
    This makes no sense. Kids should be counted as household members when deciding how much money parents get for food stamps, they should not qualify by themselves, as they are not required to take care of their basic needs. If the parents don't qualify, neither should their kids. The food stamps should go to the parents, in the parent's name. When they go to the anchors, the state is basically saying the anchors are responsible for feeding themselves, and they don't make enough money to feed themselves, so the state will help. Why put the responsibility on the child? My children don't pay for their food. We, as their parents, pay for their food. If illegals aren't making enough to feed their kids in the U.S., then why are they here? If they came here to make a better life, yet their kids are malnourished or starving, they aren't making a better life, and need to go home. How are the parents eating? Do they feed themselves first, and not their anchors? If the parents were starving (and I have never seen anyone in AZ who appears to be starving, and have never read about a death by starvation article in a newspaper), they would go home.