http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/di ... fbea36a572

In-State Tuition Allowed For Some Children of Illegal Immigrants
April 14, 2006

Some children of illegal immigrants will be able to qualify for in-state tuition at Nebraska colleges and universities under a bill enacted Thursday by the Legislature.

Following an often emotional debate, lawmakers voted 30-16 to override the veto of Governor Dave Heineman. Nebraska became the tenth state to adopt such a law.

To qualify for in-state tuition the students must graduate from a Nebraska high school, show proof of having lived in the state for three years, and agree to seek permanent legal status. Supporters estimated that some 130 students might qualify under the law each year.

Proponents argued that the measure was in the best economic and social interests of the state. They cited research from the Legislative Fiscal Office which said increased college enrollment could generate more money for the sate. Well educated people are likely to contribute more to the economy in the long run, supporters said.

Opponents said it ultimately rewarded people who entered the country illegally.

“For me, not to vote for this override is racist, and I’m not going there,” said Senator Ed Schrock of Elm Creek, who noted his own ethnic background. “My great-grandmother’s name was Sanchez.”

In-state tuition costs $4,530 annually at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln. Nonresidents pay $13,440.

An interesting exchange occurred between Senators Chris Beutler of Lincoln and Phil Erdman of Bayard.

Erdman said Nebraska could risk trouble with the federal government because allowing in-state tuition or the children of illegal immigrants violates federal law.

Under questioning from Beutler, Erdman conceded that employers break the law by hiring millions of illegal immigrants.

Beutler then noted that, since the feds do virtually nothing about the illegal employments of millions of people, it seemed unlikely that the government would bedevil states for allowing children – who graduated from local high schools – to pay in-state tuition.