Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New Haven (CT.) Under Immigration Microscope

WFSB.com
    IMMIGRATION DEBATE

New Haven Under Immigration Microscope
    Officials Defend ID Program; Opponents Debate Policy

UPDATED: 11:14 pm EST November 5, 2007

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Juan has lived and worked in New Haven as an undocumented immigrant for 11 years.

He works to send money home to his family in Ecuador. For more than a decade, Juan hasn't had any form of identification -- until now.

Juan has since applied for an Elm City Resident Card. He told Eyewitness News what a big deal it is for him. He hopes to open a bank account and even do something he couldn't do without an ID -- take the train to visit relatives in New York.

"No ID, no ticket," Juan said.

Juan isn't alone. Channel 3 Eyewitness News reporter Eric Parker reported some 3,500 people picked up a resident ID in the program's first two months alone. While it's marketed to all residents -- including college students and seniors -- New Haven Mayor John DeStefano admitted that undocumented aliens are the biggest customers.

"We're all going to have to come to terms with this large undocumented population," DeStefano said.

Opponents Deem Program Threatening

Some groups continue to protest the city's efforts to reach out to illegal immigrants, saying the cards make the city a beacon for people already the country illegally, which the protesters consider a threat.

"(It's) a threat to blue-collar people, Americans: Losing our jobs," said Bill Farrel, a coordinator for a nonprofit group called Southern Connecticut Immigration Reform (SCtIR). "They're not going to make new jobs. Because of these IDs, illegals will come here and take existing jobs."

"I don't think that there's anything about other people coming to New Haven for the card. People will come to New Haven because they want to work, for those kinds of reasons," DeStefano said. "They won't come for the plastic."

The card does offer some services. It can be used for parking, as a library card and as a debit card at some local stores. Supporters said the program is not designed to help the undocumented population get any access they wouldn't have anyway.

Mayor: New Haven Immigration Policy Not Unique

Opponents also argued against the city's overall policy toward illegal aliens, including a police department policy that immigration status is not part of a routine investigation.

"The police department is being prevented from asking people their country of origin when they stop them, so the ID card cannot assist the police in any way," said SCtIR spokeswoman Veronica Kivela, who is also a founding member of the group.

Eyewitness News obtained department policy that states officers shouldn't "inquire about the immigration status of crime victims, witnesses or others who call or approach the police."

While department policy indicates officers should cooperate with federal immigration officials when they're looking for immigrants accused of committing crimes, civil warrants for people in the city illegally are not considered the police department's responsibility.

"All we're asking is that the entire community be treated in the same way under the law," Farrel said.

"Being an undocumented resident is a civil violation of the law, much like not paying alimony is a civil violation," DeStefano said. "So, for civil violations, we -- like virtually every police department in America -- we don't aggressively pursue those issues."

City officials said that policy and the identification card program will remain in effect until the federal government establishes an immigration policy that everyone can agree on.

http://www.wfsb.com/news/14518946/detail.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Being an undocumented resident is a civil violation of the law, much like not paying alimony is a civil violation," DeStefano said. "So, for civil violations, we -- like virtually every police department in America -- we don't aggressively pursue those issues."
    But, the problem is that as soon as the illegal works any job here they have committed a criminal act. On top of that, if they have used a fake SSN/ID, stolen or misused an existing ID or document, they too, have again, committed yet another criminal act. ...

So, in effect what the good mayor is trying to convince you and I of, is that
    every 'undocumented resident' in New Haven was, is, and will continue to be independently wealthy - in order to live there. Because, as he says, they are just violators of civil ordinances - not criminal law .... right?
    [/end dry sarcasm]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Good pts. Phred. And I also believe that if they reenter the country after being deported, they have committed a felony.

Hey Populist - yep, I thought of that after I already submitted the earlier post, but, oh well - it is getting late (that's my only excuse...)

And, that sidesteps all the issues surrounding other criminal acts too.
    That is it's own Pandora's Box in it's own right...

Standard sanctuary city policy it seems. They do have a large Hispanic and "Islanders" population. The police Chief Ortiz is of Hispanic descent. They are riddled with crime anyhow, felons abound in the city, legal and illegal, guess they can't get control of the city. Let's face it, he isn't worried about what's legal or not, just what brownie points he's making with the illegals. They do have a pretty large population of Hispanics considering the size of the city.

An illegal killed a kid, hitting him with his car, he grabbed the plates and ran off......now who would think to do something like that, but an illegal.

The rank and file is not that happy with the "general order", but they do obey it.

DeStefano is a total jerk, with a corrupt city and is trying to make a name for himself. And, he has the support of Yale Law School. Dean Wishnie is a great advocate for the town, always threatening to sue on behalf of the city and defending it with regard to actions concerning the illegal aliens.

3200 out of a hundred thousand plus residing in the city, is not making a big splash. They are still trying to get more banks to accept the ID card, but so far not making much headway. Even with their little traveling show going to churches, schools to sign people up they aren't making much headway it seems. I think what riled people up was when they stated, with Wishnie's blessing that NO ONE would get information on the people who signed up, not ICE, not any government request they guaranteed it, did a backpedal though about that (must have gotten some message)and that might be what has prevented them from signing them all up. Too afraid too.

If I was a resident I would be up in arms, since that city has very high property taxes. As a resident of the state, I resent my state & fed taxes going to them. Too bad we can't say nope, I don't want to contribute to New Haven.

RealID: Hey, thanks for the local perspective on that. Hearing it straight from local folks is often times far more informative than any news article on the subject (especially cranked out of the MSM BS factory). Thanks.