Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New York City Awash in Fake IDS

Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2005 7:02 p.m. EST
    New York City Awash in Fake IDs

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/12/6/190312.shtml

With 525,000 illegal immigrants in New York City, the Big Apple is awash in fake IDs, with much of the phony document trade centered in a single neighborhood in Queens.

"Roosevelt Avenue is like the mecca for fake documents," state Assemblyman Jose Peralta tells the New York Sun. "If anybody comes through New York City and they ask, 'Where can I get a false document?' the no. 1 answer is going to be Roosevelt Avenue. It's the place, it's the spot."

The Department of Homeland Security said it is aware of the problem, but explains that document fraud knows no geographic bounds.

"Roosevelt Avenue is one of the primary areas in New York City to buy false documents, but it is not limited to any borough, or any immigrant community, and it is not new," Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Mark Thorn told the paper.

Exacerbating the situation, illegal immigration into the US now tops legal immigration, according to a recent study by the Pew Hispanic Center in Washington.The explosion in illegals needing paperwork to pass through society has driven up demand for the phony papers.
    Guardian Angel founder Curtis Sliwa, who knows the city's streets like few civilians, tells the Sun that Latino Street gangs are increasingly behind the fake ID trade. He set up a chapter in the Roosevelt Avenue area several years ago after a rise in gang activity.

Earlier this week, NYPD's Special Fraud Unit cracked down on the document dealers after an intensive investigation by the Queens District Attorney's office. More than a dozen locations closed down.

But T.J. Bonner, president of the National Border Patrol Council, told the Sun, "You can put some out of business, but others will just spring up. As long as there's a demand for these documents and the documents continue to be accepted, people will be out there supplying."

What ??? 525,000 ilegal aliens in my city ??? !!!
    Although I know that newsmax is full of propaganda.
    so it will be much less than that number. i mean, I grew up in NYC and get there 3 times a year to see my family. and not much has changed. I don't believe newsmax as they are known as Democrat bashers and too pro Bush

Quote Originally Posted by returning_resident
    What ??? 525,000 ilegal aliens in my city ??? !!!
    Although I know that newsmax is full of propaganda.
    so it will be much less than that number. i mean, I grew up in NYC and get there 3 times a year to see my family. and not much has changed. I don't believe newsmax as they are known as Democrat bashers and too pro Bush
    Maybe this can help you a little

I hope so. It has some good info for you.
    Last edited by Jean; 08-02-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

thank you very much for the link, it's very useful especially this one

Based upon the new 2000 Census data, the Migration Policy Institute issued a May 2002 study that estimated New York's illegal alien population at 700,000.

New York has received partial compensation under the federal State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP) that was established in 1994 to compensate the states and local jurisdictions for incarceration of "undocumented," aliens who are serving time for a felony conviction or at least two misdemeanors.

how could I have missed that there're so many illega aliens in the city ?
    Well, that's probably because most illegal aliens speak english and I don't ask for their immigration status as I talk to a stranger.
    Last edited by Jean; 08-02-2013 at 05:41 PM.