http://www.observernewsonline.com/index ... &Itemid=60

Kilo of cocaine seized

Written by Michael Willard (O-N-E Publisher)
Result of an 18-month case.

After a Monday traffic stop Newton police seized about four pounds of cocaine and marijuana and started two illegal aliens on their way out of the U.S. - for the second time.

Meanwhile, area law enforcement officers said the drug seizure illustrates a growing problem with drug-dealing gangs in Catawba County.

Hermes Jeovany Mendoza-Ramirez, 26, and Sara Santana Pelallo, 25, are in the Catawba County Jail facing drug trafficking charges, where they are each held under a $1 million bond. Their incarceration in Newton is the first stop for the illegal aliens as they begin their second deportation process on felony drug charges.

"What is really sad is that the female is pregnant," said Newton Police Department Capt. Skip Isenhour.

The arrests and drug seizure began when NPD's traffic enforcement officer stopped Ramirez near the intersection of Boundary Street and Old Conover-Startown Road about 3 p.m. Monday.

"There was a gas drive-off in the area, and information about the vehicle involved led us to believe he was involved," the traffic enforcement officer said during an interview with The O-N-E. "When I stopped him, the first thing he told me was that he didn't have a driver's license."

That was the first hint that something was amiss.

"I saw a Crown Royal box between his legs and I contacted the narcotics officers," the traffic enforcement officer continued. "He was evasive in his actions, and he was arrested initially for not having a driver's license."

When narcotics officers from NPD and Conover Police Department arrived at the scene, Ramirez's vehicle was searched and list of charges against him increased.

"During the search, a large amount of cocaine was found," a NPD narcotics officer said, adding about 750 grams of powder cocaine was in the liquor box in Ramirez's lap.

While officers with NPD, CPD and Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents searched Ramirez's vehicle, Pelallo stopped another vehicle near the scene.

"The person in the second vehicle was acting suspicious, and we knew the car belonged to (Ramirez)," the NPD narcotics officer said, adding Ramirez was driving Pelallo's car. "The other vehicle was approached by ICE agents and in the process of interviewing her, the agent found out that the female driver was a deported felon."

Pelallo and Ramirez, he said, had both previously been deported for drug charges and on Monday they were in the U.S. illegally.

Following Ramirez's arrest, police obtained a search warrant for the 722 South Brady Avenue home where he was apparently staying.

"We had been watching the guy for about 18 months," the NPD officer said. "Additional amounts of cocaine and marijuana were found at the residence."

All total police seized 919 grams of powder cocaine - or about 2 pounds - as well as 940 grams of marijuana - 2.09 pounds. Also inside the residence police found at least three pairs of cowboy boots in which the heels had been hollowed for use as a drug smuggling tool.

"This is the first time I've seen this type of thing," the NPD officer said. "This is probably part of a larger drug smuggling operation. Those boots came from South America.

"This is probably a drop in the bucket," the officer said of the drug seizure. "I'm sure (the seizure) is one of the larger amounts, but there are larger amounts out there. He has got to be getting it from somewhere."

NPD's narcotics officers said that a larger drug smuggling operation is likely related to an increase in gang activity in Catawba County.

"Drug activity is picking up quite a bit, and there are more drug gangs in the area," the undercover officer said. "There are a bunch of drug gangs here - MS 13, Locos 13, Latino Kings and Folk Nation. Gang activity has been increasing during the last four or five years. Countywide is about at the level of an epidemic - its not that bad yet, but it is getting that way. Drug activity, gangs, violence - its all connected."

Ramirez is charged with trafficking cocaine by possession and transportation. Pelallo is charged with conspiracy to traffick cocaine. Additional charges are pending from federal and local agencies, and an investigation is ongoing.

"They did a real good job in this case," Isenhower said of NPD and CPD officers' effort. "These guys deserve a lot of credit for getting this one."

According to NPD's narcotics officers, both Ramirez and Pellallo will be transported to Charlotte where they will be processed and charged with entering the nation illegally after previous felony drug charges. Upon their deportation this time, neither will be allowed in the U.S. for at least the next five years.