Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

'Night of 1,000 Discussions' lets public share immigration v

'Night of 1,000 Discussions' lets public share immigration views
    By MOLLY HOTTLE • mhottle@dmreg.com • September 26, 2008

A discussion about immigration rights and policies brought together people Thursday in Des Moines - and across the country.

Ten people took part in the "Night of 1,000 Discussions" event at Catholic Charities' downtown office. The conversation was a part of a nationwide discussion of alleged violations of civil liberties and human rights by the Department of Homeland Security.

Sol Varisco-Santini, a co-leader of the local event and program coordinator for Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Des Moines, tried to focus the conversation on Immigration and Customs Enforcement raids in the United States.

"If people are not involved in the raids, they don't talk about it," Varisco-Santini said. "We want to create an awareness and allow people to talk."

The discussions were intended for groups of 10 to 15 people, but bigger groups reportedly gathered in places like Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., according to Naomi Sea Young Wittstruck, the other local co-leader who is leadership development minister for social justice and mission for the United Methodist Church.

Plans for the meeting in Des Moines started just three weeks ago, Wittstruck said.

Attendees shared opinions and perspectives on raids that have taken place across the nation, including the raid at the Agriprocessors meatpacking plant in Postville in May. Hundreds of workers were arrested there and accused of being illegal immigrants.

Varisco-Santini distributed to the group papers with facts about immigration and examples of people wrongly accused of harboring illegal immigrants.

"When they get to know real cases, they can ask themselves, 'What are the real problems?' " Varisco- Santini said.

Abby Freese, a caseworker with Central Iowa Shelter and Services in Des Moines, said she went to the discussion because she works with two undocumented immigrants who have medical problems and have been unable to get help.

"It's devastating because as a caseworker, I feel obligated to improve their situation," Freese said. "I've tried every way I know how to help them, and I keep getting told there's nothing to be done.

"That's not an answer."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... /1001/NEWS
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Abby Freese, a caseworker with Central Iowa Shelter and Services in Des Moines, said she went to the discussion because she works with two undocumented immigrants who have medical problems and have been unable to get help.

"It's devastating because as a caseworker, I feel obligated to improve their situation," Freese said. "I've tried every way I know how to help them, and I keep getting told there's nothing to be done.
    Helloooo! Earth to libidiot! Deport their butts back to their homeland. Let that country deal with them....problem solved!
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)