Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NJ: Immigration Rally Organizer Has Another Setback

Immigration rally organizer has another setback

After funds donated to rent site, venue owner disallows meeting

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 09/15/07
    BY ZACH PATBERG
    TOMS RIVER BUREAU

LAKEWOOD — One woman's bumpy ride toward holding a protest against illegal immigration hit another pothole this week when the venue she booked for the event had second thoughts.

On Tuesday, Diane Reaves said an anonymous donor had agreed to foot the bill for renting the American Legion Post 166 hall on River Avenue for the Oct. 20 rally, eliminating the need to charge a $10 admittance fee. More donations followed, providing funds to pay for extra security.

"Things are really looking up and I am so grateful to so many patriots of this country who feel, as I do, that enough is enough," she said in an e-mail to a reporter.

Two days later, word came that the Legion post had made a mistake: its bylaws prohibit hosting functions with a political bent.

"We're not supposed to be taking sides on things of this nature," said Ted Figula, the Legion's commander at the Ocean County level, which ruled that the rally should not be held there.

But by then, Reaves said she had sent out "countless" press releases and fliers, signed a contract with the Legion post and paid them the $300 to rent the hall.

"This is going to be a huge problem for me," she said in a later e-mail. "This township is absolutely intent on forbidding me to hold a rally!"

The demonstration was first derailed last month after a shortage of security persuaded Reaves to cancel the Aug. 25 event, planned at the town square, amid rumors that Hispanic gangs and militant groups would show up. The township had decided not to provide an increased police presence, saying it was the policy not to do so for private events.

The decision unleashed a surge of complaints from Reaves and other supporters.

Now, according to Legion officials, the rally is off — again.

"We're standing by the constitution of our bylaws," said Robert Fuhrmann, membership chairman for the Lakewood post. "It's not going to happen."

The person who drew up the contract with Reaves — Angelo Barone, first vice commander of the Lakewood post — is out of the country on vacation and unavailable for comment, according to post officials.

According to Reaves, however, everything will go as planned. She said she has spoken to three attorneys, who have advised her to arrive on Oct. 20 and only sue the Legion post if it locks its doors.

"Being that none of the contractual agreements have been breached, they can't just void it out for no reason," she said.

And what if they do lock the doors?

"I'm to bring a podium and do it in the parking lot," she said.

Zach Patberg: (732) 557-5739 or zpatberg@app.com

Post a Comment View All Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This goes COMPLETELY against what the American Legion claimed about their so called By Laws: Read it and learn - who is lying now????!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Legion

Posted by: patriotgurl on Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:08 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As has been already stated, the American Legion has not proven that any Contractual Agreement has been broken on MY end; which they must prove by law. Otherwise, they must, in good faith, honor the Contract that they have with me. If they breach said Contract, then they will be sued. It really can't get any clearer than that. As far as I am concerned, I still have the use of the hall for October 20th, and the event is still on tap folks.

I was advised by counsel, if they DARE to lock me out on the day of the event, which I have the hall rental for - then I am to hold the event in their parking lot and then SUE them for damages. I have three attorneys helping me, pro bono. So if we end up in court, they will have to prove that I have broken something contained in the actual Contract.

The By Laws, as they have mentioned, were spoken of BEFORE the Contract was agreed to and signed. So this is not something they suddenly came up with. After they spoke about it, in length, they agreed to allow the event. Based on the fact that I would be checking identifications; we would have added security, and there would be no alcohol served during the event.

There is no small/fine print contained in the Contract. They have no right to suddenly not honor this Agreement. I am sure, we are all aware, of what two groups run Lakewood; so you can guess as to who is really responsible for putting pressure on the American Legion.

But being that these Americans have served in our Military branches, and have defended this nation and the rights of American citizens; well, I can't believe any of these men would bow down to any intimidations or threats they might be receiving.

And if Lakewood, in all its efforts, is trying to not allow me to have this event; well, they are bringing FAR more attention to this then I ever could!! And I would like to thank the American Legion and its members for caving in to the pressure; and thank the township of Lakewood would bringing such huge attention to whats actually going on here in Lakewood, New Jersey. Folks, you can't pay for this much publicity!!!!

If I were in their shoes, I'd shut my mouth, give me my three hours, and hope I would just disappear once its all done and over with. Instead of what they are doing.

What an outrage - after what happened in Newark, that these American Veterans are caving in to the pressure of those among us who have turned Lakewood into a Sanctuary town. I look at my father, who served in the Korean War and I see a hero. I look at my son, who served in Irag and I see a hero. I look into the eyes of my husband who was a tank commander in the US Army, and I see a hero. I see those who sacrificed their own lives for the rights and liberties of ALL American citizens.

But now, when I look at these Officers of the Lakewood American Legion Post 166, I see cowards and I have to wonder if they are truly American vets at all - because the True American Veterans that I have personally had the honor to know would NEVER, EVER cave in to the illegal aliens who are here in our nation, on our soil, illegally. Lawbreakers who have no right to even be here - I wonder if the American Legion post 166 even knows that those Illegal immigrants they are favoring REFUSE TO SIGN UP FOR SELECTIVE SERVICE - They REFUSE to fight for a Nation, America, because they don't love America as WE love America!! How many illegal immigrants have you seen lately signing up at the Post Office? Yet its a FEDERAL law, whether they are here legally or not!!!

God Bless all those Veterans who have fought for this country and gave up so much for our rights back here on our soil. What a slap in the face for all those vets who now see what the American Legion is doing - what a slap to see how these illegals are disgracing our own Flag by hanging it up BACKWARDS and STOMPING on it during THEIR rallies!!!

Yet an American Citizen cannot hold an event IN FAVOR of our nation, our flag, our men and women who are currently, and have already served this nation!!

Thank God these vets DO NOT speak for ALL other vets - and from what I'm being told, many of those vets will be eliminating their connection to the American Legion post 166 - based on their acts depicting them as nothing more than traitors to this nation.

Be there on October 20th, we will !!!!

Posted by: patriotgurl on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:44 pm

the national american legion website has a link about a position paper the american legion posted against the illegal aliens. so who is lying?
    check out the nationa website. the lakewood is lying so is the ocean county chapter.
    I also forwarded the link to the asbury park press, proving that the lakewood chapter is lying.

Posted by: pferd on Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:42 pm

I've been an American Legion member for 29 years - In our Monmouth County town we have always held our Republican Club events at the American Legion Hall.

The rally in Lakewood isn't a political event anyway - It's a Pro-American event! What's wrong with that, Lakewood? If I was a member of your Post I would resign in disgust - I hope your many patriotic members quit and join real American posts!

We who support this rally are supportive of legal immigration - my wife immigrated to the USA legally and became a citizen many years ago.

Reverse your decision, Lakewood post - or take the "American" out of your name!

Major R

Posted by: majorrick on Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:59 pm

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 50366/1070
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We had political meetings at the American Legion building in Phoenix AZ on Friday Sep 7 and Sat Sept. 8 !

American Legion stood with us against the Amnesty bill!

This guy in NJ is going to get in some very hot water with the local membership and national leadership of the American Legion for doing this.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Not only do they have a statement, but they hand delivered a plan to get rid of illegals to each and every member of congress.

Here is the link where you can send an email directly to the National Commander. I would do so IMMEDIATELY.

His email address is: NatlCmdr@legion.org

http://www.legion.org/?section=our_legi ... lcommander

The American Legion NOT taking a side???? You got to be kidding me! That's what the Legion does, take sides and it suppose to be America's side! Hope this goes national.....maybe O'Reilly or Lou Dobbs will pick up on this!!

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    We had political meetings at the American Legion building in Phoenix AZ on Friday Sep 7 and Sat Sept. 8 !

American Legion stood with us against the Amnesty bill!

This guy in NJ is going to get in some very hot water with the local membership and national leadership of the American Legion for doing this.

W

It has all the elements of a breach of contract suit.

For some reason I keep thinking maybe threats were made to the AL? Not that that should make them back out. If it was true they should be more incline to support the cause!

I pasted the article to an email and sent it to the National Commander with the question as to WHY this should be allowed. I hope others do likewise.

The American legion was working with us when they tried to pass 1639 what happen????

---------------------- RED ALERT NOW"-----------------------
    ALL HANDS ON DECK STOP THE..

DREAM ACT" "NOW"
    NEW POSTING TREAD FOR RED ALERT (TUESDAY9/18 )
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=83407
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR RED ALERT
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=83281
    CONTACT INFORMATION FOR SENATORS , NEWS, RADIO, ECT.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... 761#384761
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)