http://www.trentonian.com/site/news.cfm ... t_id=44551

Public Latino Leadership Fight Reaches New Level
By: L.A. PARKER, Staff Writer
09/05/2008
email this storyEmail to a friendpost a commentPost a Commentprinter friendlyPrinter-friendly
TRENTON - A fight between a community activist and an accomplished city leader reached a new pitch today as a firestorm erupted over Latino leadership.

Advertisement
Juan Martinez delivered a torrid critique of Councilman-at-Large Manny Segura and other Latino leaders in a morning diatribe that arrived just after sunrise.

"Manny Segura is a fraud just like many other Latino leaders in this city. People are beginning to realize that he is a guy who is in this for himself. It's always about Manny being Manny for Manny," Martinez said.

The Martinez criticism continued a public two-day argument despite the fact that Martinez acknowledged that he and Segura are not speaking.

Segura on Thursday issued statements through spokesperson Patricia Cabrera who yesterday did not respond to messages left on her cell phone.

Segura did not respond to a similar message so the conflict currently remains more shadow boxing than hand to hand combat.

Despite the lack of a foil, Martinez remained adamant.
"The amazing thing is that some Latino leaders called me and told me that it wasn't good to air our laundry in public. They want me to shut up because our leaders are being exposed for being silent about our most important issues," Martinez said.

Martinez criticized a planned Sept. 14 Hispanic Parade organized by the same group, including Segura, that controls the Puerto Rican Parade.

"We just got slapped down by both political parties with hardly any mention of immigration reform but we can organize a parade and march around Trenton as if everything is Okay. Screw the parades. We need a discussion on immigration and all of the problems brought on by inaction - the busted in doors and illegal raids, overcrowded classrooms, illegal traffic stops, alcoholism and crime," Martinez said.

"Instead of being up in arms about being discounted we're going to march around Trenton and play music, acting like everything is fine. I'm not keeping quiet about this and any Latino leader who wants to debate this issue, they know how to reach me."

©The Trentonian 2008