Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

NJ-Statue of Mexicans causes anger, puzzlement in Passaic

Statue of Mexicans causes anger, puzzlement in Passaic

Wednesday September 16, 2009, 8:44 PM

PASSAIC -- A gesture meant to honor a visiting Mexican musical duo by placing a statue of them at a major intersection has angered some Passaic residents, the mayor said Wednesday, but others who live nearby say they're puzzled, not offended.

A life-sized plaster statue of the popular Mexican singing group Los Temerarios was installed on a traffic median at the entrance to Passaic on Sunday. City officials say it was meant to welcome the duo who played an outdoor concert at a Mexican festival that attracted 15,000 fans.

A temporary statue honoring popular Mexican musicians Los Temerarios stands near the Speer housing complex today in Passaic.

Passaic Mayor Alex Blanco said he was alarmed by some of the comments from residents at a nearby housing complex.

"I received phone calls, mainly from the African-American community, saying 'What are the statues doing there? We're not being represented; they (the singing group) haven't done anything for Passaic,'" Blanco said. "I'm shocked at the different comments that were made."

But several black residents of Speer Village, which is across the street from the statue, say anger over its placement had nothing to do with anti-Latino sentiment.

"We've always lived in a diverse community. It has nothing to do with that," said Catherine Simpson, an 18-year resident of the complex. "Nobody down here is protesting anything. We just want to know what it represents."

Simpson said several residents were confused by the statue, did not understand why it was placed there or who it depicted -- the plaque was in Spanish -- and were concerned by its location at a dangerous intersection near the busy exit ramp of a major roadway.

Simpson and others said there isn't widespread resentment among African-Americans against the growing Mexican population in Passaic, so much as bewilderment at how insular they can be in holding large-scale events without involving the wider community.

"You could have probably involved the rest of the community in that endeavor, and they could have supported it and said; "Oh, they're celebrating something important to them -- inclusion," said resident Evelyn Robinson.

Blanco said the festival, and the statue, were meant to celebrate Passaic's diversity, and its large Mexican population. He said flap over the statue stemmed from miscommunication that some residents were seeking to exploit.

"We are a 3.2-mile city full of ethnicity here. We have Indians, we have African-Americans, Latinos, Jewish, Arabs, and it's not heavily tensioned, but there's little frictions here and there," he said. "I guess this statue has created some friction, and there's certain individuals that took advantage of the situation and try to bring Passaic to the past and create racial tension, but it's not a huge problem."

The statue, which cannot withstand the weather, will be removed and stored for use at future events. Blanco said he plans to use the spot to showcase Passaic's communities, and will place a statue of Martin Luther King Jr. there in celebration of Black History Month in February.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... .html#more
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I would be pissed! Why a statue for visitng musicians..........so their local governemnt must have some extra cash on hand. Of course I am sure they paid for it themselves.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Simpson and others said there isn't widespread resentment among African-Americans against the growing Mexican population in Passaic, so much as bewilderment at how insular they can be in holding large-scale events without involving the wider community.

"You could have probably involved the rest of the community in that endeavor, and they could have supported it and said; "Oh, they're celebrating something important to them -- inclusion," said resident Evelyn Robinson.
    They are not an "inclusive" community, whereas other ethnic groups are. That's the main problem, they don't play well with others.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

A statue of Martin Luther King, yes, a statue of a couple Mexican musicians, No. Martin Luther King was an American Icon, who the hell are these mexicans? Their nobodies, not even Americans.
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

ELE

It is hard to seperate out culture

It's not just about a statue, it is about celebrating the culture of the majority illegals group that have been an integral part of destroying America.

PS
    Its like the pics of sweet-looking Hitler youth being placed in every public square after the Nazi's conquered Poland. The pics of the kids were very sweet but they represented was horrible.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The enemy is winning---

The enemy is winning---! How?? Well just look at this column and the posts. Nobody is asking why Passaic has such a large Mexican population or how many are here legally. They are sidetracked on whether the statue of an ethnic group should be allowed, not whether it was brought about by people here illegally.

Wake up America!! I do not live in NJ, but I will wager that half the population of Passaic is there illegally.

The invasion is successful in New Jersey. It is becoming the northern part of the Mexican empire.

Remember what Calderone said:, wherever there is a Mexican, there is Mexico.

what is this nonsense. We are being eased into Mexican culture and language? Are you kidding me? This is misplaced comapssion and crazy political correctness. I am so glad that Americans are getting the message. Be polite but be ruthless, take a stand and get in their faces and say NO!

Blanco (White) said "the festival, and the statue, were meant to celebrate Passaic's diversity" and its large Mexican population."

Mr. White I don't understand how you get diversity out of that.

Dixie

You guys will love this one! Last year, my wife's brother lived with us and he was taking Texas history. Texas history was and is my favorite subject. The beginning of the textbook had famous Texans, like Sam Houston, and Stephen F Austin with a little bio. They INCLUDED the singer Selena with these guys ONLY because she was hispanic!! What the hell has Selena EVER done for Texas history other than give us crappy music? REAL Texas music is Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top, Janice Joplin etc.

Where does this textbook get off thinking that Selena was MORE influential to Texas history than those listed above? I didn't even know who she was until she was killed!
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&