No Habla Ingles? The DNC says 'No Problema'

This year's Democratic National Convention in Denver will have an international flavor, but not everyone is happy about that.

By KTRH's John Labus
Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Party officials say they're simulcasting the entire convention in Spanish.

Al Garza is the Executive Director of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps.
He says he's of Hispanic descent, and he's outraged. "I speak English, and I don't watch anything in Spanish... This is a nation that was founded and based on English."

But Damon Jones with the Democratic National Convention says they're doing it for good reason. "Spanish is the primary language for more than 35-million people in our country and more than 300-million people around the world. So, we think it's a great message to share and a great step forward at being as inclusive as possible."

Garza counters that the democrats should focus instead on the second and third generation Hispanic population, who assimilated into society. He says if we do this for the Hispanic population, we're starting down a slippery slope. "We shouldn't be pandering to a community per se based on ethnicity... If we're all going to play the same game, then why shouldn't we have stations in German, in Chinese, for that matter in Italian; and I happen to be part Italian, so I resent it."

Jones says they're just trying to share the message of the Democratic Party with as many people as possible.

http://www.ktrh.com/cc-common/news/sect ... le=3873638