Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMe
    Quote Originally Posted by imblest
    According to the latest Census Bureau figures, 43.6 percent of non-citizens in the U.S. are without health insurance. In addition, 33.6 percent of those born elsewhere are without coverage.

By contrast, only 13.4 percent of native-born Americans are without health insurance. And 17.9 percent of naturalized citizens are without coverage.
    Just because only 13.4 percent of native-borns are without insurance (and I'm not sure I believe it's that low), doesn't mean it's a problem only for illegals. I'm native-born and I don't have insurance. We just can't afford it. I would have to be next to death before I would go to an ER because we couldn't handle the bills!
    Imblest...did you know that fees are negotiable? I have a friend who is without insurance and I learned some interesting facts. First of all, there is a "cash" fee schedule for patients without ins. For instance, I have a friend without ins. who needed a mammogram. The hospital billing cost to ins. companies is $350. The cash price to my friend was $70. A blood test was $150 for patients with ins. but it was only $18 for cash patients. An office visit costs $140 if billed to ins but only $60 if it's cash.

Emergency room charges are always higher but they are also very negotiable. Of course, catastrophic events are a different story. If possible, everyone needs a policy for catastrophic coverage but routine blood tests, x-rays, doctors visits, etc can be affordable. Even with ins. there is a co-pay and often times that co-pay is equal to or less than the cash fee.
    Thanks for the info, AmericanMe, though we can't afford that either. Fortunately, there is a free clinic here in town where I get my meds free and see the doc every month or so. It has been a real blessing! But I worry what we will do if something serious happens.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wow, add me and my wife to the 13.4%. I too am self-employed and because of the suppression of prices from having to compete with contractors that use illegals I couldn't afford it either, I don't think I've seen a doctor in at least 12 years....
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Quote Originally Posted by florgal
    My husband and I are self employed, work every day, and still can't afford health insurance. Matter of fact, I've been told I'm UN-insurable by every company we've checked with- except BCBS. For a sum of 2,200 dollars A MONTH, I could be the proud owner of a high deductible medical insurance policy, and that's just for MY coverage! Doesn't include hubby or kids.
    Because of a previous illness where part of my treatment was with the drug interferon, I am no longer an 'acceptable risk', therefore not insurable OR the premiums are truly out of the realm of possibility.
    What makes me even more angry is that we can't afford to insure our kids! Ten years ago we could afford to insure the whole family. Within 18 months our premiums more than doubled and we had to drop the coverage. It makes me sick to know that WE are paying for illeg
    al aliens health care, but are forced to do without ourselves.

"Existing illness' has always been problem for those seeking health insurance other than through a true group plan.

Before the promise of Hillarycare, a family of 4 (with no preexisting like yours) could get a good major medical policy for about $150 a month.
    That was some years ago, but just to show how much healthcare has increased.

There is no way this increase in the cost of healthcare is not related to the influx of illegals and their free healthcare. When a hospital or doctor does not get reimbursed for services, they just pass the cost on to the paying customers. When the paying customer files on their insurance, the insurance company just ups the premium.

There is just no denying that.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123