Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

No license, behind the wheel - exemption for illegals

THE STATE Senate already has voted 25 to 14 to create a special exemption in state law that would reduce the mandatory 30-day impoundment of cars driven by unlicensed drivers, so that offenders who have never had a valid license can get their cars back after 24 hours.

Right now, when officers impound the cars of unlicensed drivers, the mandatory term is 30 days. A new law would keep the 30 days for drivers whose bad driving led to the forfeiture or suspension of their license -- may the courts add whatever punishment they so choose -- but create a loophole to give unlicensed illegal immigrants their cars back overnight. Expect the California Assembly to approve SB626 as early as today.

Break federal immigration law, then break California law by driving without a license, and Sacramento wants you to get your car back the next day so that you can continue driving without a license -- and probably without insurance, because you need a license to qualify for it. It's almost as if the Legislature is telling illegal immigrants that the state expects them to drive without a license.

This measure makes no sense. As GOP state Sen. Chuck Poochigian of Fresno, a candidate for state attorney general who voted against SB626, noted, "If you ever complied with the law and your car is impounded, you will face a tougher penalty than if you never chose to obtain a license."

Why? The office of bill author state Sen. Nell Soto, D-Pomona, sent me a fact sheet to explain that SB626 would make the vehicle code "fairer," as the measure would "end the excessive penalties the code exacts against adults unable to obtain drivers licenses." The bill would keep the 30-day impoundment for people who drive even though their licenses were revoked or suspended.

Wayne Bilowit of the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department noted that at least those driving with suspended licenses had to pass a drivers' test -- so they know how to drive safety, even if they don't. This law would make it a "one day and out" fine for offenders who never passed a driving test.

Pomona resident John Whitney is a member of the Christian group One LA that started the drive for the bill. He told me that he supports a 30-day impound for drunken drivers and others who drive without a license, but as a "conservative Christian evangelical," he wants to see different treatment for those who cannot get a license because they are not legal residents. He added that some tow companies charge too much of car owners; after 30 days, the cost exceeds what many hard-working immigrant families can readily absorb.

I am sure that Whitney is right that a monthlong impounding of their cars is a hardship on working families. It is also a hardship on people who drive with suspended licenses -- as it is meant to be.

Let me add: Why does California spend billions of dollars on public transportation, if we don't think people without drivers' licenses should have to use it?

One bill supporter is Pomona Police Chief James Lewis. Earlier this year, his department reduced the length of impoundment time from 30 days to one day. Whitney believes that when Pomona police impound a car for one day instead of one month, they enjoy better relations with the community, and improved community policing.

Then again, Pomona apparently doesn't need SB626 to exert local control and issue a reduced penalty.

I asked Whitney if he believed people should drive without a license. He answered, no. Should they drive without insurance? He said no, again. Then what should the punishment be? Whitney did not want to answer, but he finally said, impounding a car for one day.

Great. One day. So the next day, an unlicensed driver can pick up the car and drive without a license or insurance, secure in the knowledge that there is a not much of a penalty for doing so.

L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca wrote in opposition to SB626. Bilowit explained that a one-day impoundment makes breaking the law cheap and easy.

While Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's office has no official position on SB626, he did veto a similar bill in 2005, noting that such legislation "would send a message to unlicensed drivers that it is acceptable to break the law."

The pro-illegal immigrant lobby likes to complain that the law sends mixed messages to illegal immigrants. Then they push for laws -- like a slap on the wrist for driving without a license -- that muddle the message again. I have to ask: If California lawmakers don't respect the law, why should California voters respect their lawmakers?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... IQ0ND1.DTL
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Hey Count: Do you have the breakdown of who voted which way and their political affiliation?

I swear.....have they misted the cities with brain frying chemicals or something. I swear the STUPIDITY of these people and the special privilages to ILLEGALS is getting down right insane.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by steelerbabe
    Hey Count: Do you have the breakdown of who voted which way and their political affiliation?
    No, but the Democrats have overwhelming majorities in the state senate and assembly, so it's safe to assume that most, if not all, of the Dems voted for it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I finally found a listing of the California Democratic senators, and sure enough, there are 25 of them, the exact same number as the yea votes for this bill.

I have come to the conclusion, (with ALIPAC's help here) that our government leaders are deliberately working against the legal citizens who elected them to office. I think they should be recalled each and every one of them that makes these crazy and stupid laws, if that is not aiding and abetting what the hell is? I think someone who lives in California, should get a list of those leaders who came up with this law and those who voted in favor of it and take out a full page ad in the newspapers and place their names in the paper calling for their dismissal from their jobs. I think they should be sued personally for deliberately putting the legal citizens of CA in harms way from their negilent laws. We seem to be falling short of getting our point across to these leaders and this calls for drastic measures, maybe a class action law suit by the legal citizens of CA might get their undivided attention.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

MW
    Pomona resident John Whitney is a member of the Christian group One LA that started the drive for the bill. He told me that he supports a 30-day impound for drunken drivers and others who drive without a license, but as a "conservative Christian evangelical," he wants to see different treatment for those who cannot get a license because they are not legal residents. He added that some tow companies charge too much of car owners; after 30 days, the cost exceeds what many hard-working immigrant families can readily absorb.
    Utterly amazing, another law designed to encourage and protect illegal immigrants, but no thought to the protection of American citizens. I submitting this story to Lou Dobbs right now! Please notify Lou and let him know you'd like to see this story on his show.

We the people can nip this in the bud before it ever has a chance of passing!

Contact Lou at CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?9

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Utterly amazing, another law designed to encourage and protect illegal immigrants, but no thought to the protection of American citizens. I submitting this story to Lou Dobbs right now! Please notify Lou and let him know you'd like to see this story on his show.

We the people can nip this in the bud before it ever has a chance of passing!
    Well, no we can't, since it has passed the Senate, and will pass in the Assembly.

Only Schwarzenegger's veto will stop it.

MW
    Well, no we can't, since it has passed the Senate, and will pass in the Assembly.

Only Schwarzenegger's veto will stop it.
    Exactly, if we raise enough stink it may help to encourage Arnold to veto the bill.

Just finished sending the article to Lou Dobbs with a request for airing on his program. Please everyone join me and send your request to CNN's Lou Dobbs at:

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?9

Let's attempt to give Arnold something to think about! As CountFloyd pointed out, this law isn't passed until Arnold signs it into law.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hey, MW, how would you like to live in California, where nearly every day the fate of the state is in the hands of one man?

If the Democrats here had the governorship, the entire state would be run like the cities of San Francisco and Berkeley.

MW
    CountFloyd wrote:

Hey, MW, how would you like to live in California, where nearly every day the fate of the state is in the hands of one man?
    I wouldn't, but what does your question have to do with an attempt to encourage Arnold to veto the bill? The proposed law is ludicrous and should never have made the Senate floor. Actually, I think the law is bordering on discrimination against license drivers. How do we know the illegal who has his car impounded doesn't have a bad driving record? Some of them change their name like the wind and have many aliases. Others without a license could have had serious driving infractions in other states, but there would be no record in California. In other words, by virtue of being undocumented, many of these folks can't prove they are who they say they are and we can't prove they are not who they say they are. Make sense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast