Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Nonprofit offers classes for women in Spanish

www.venturacountystar.com

Nonprofit offers classes for women in Spanish
    By Mimi Estrella, Correspondent
    August 27, 2005

Estela Flores, a social worker from Tijuana, Mexico, has become an example of the "American Dream."

A domestic violence survivor, Flores came to this country seeking protection and shelter for her three children, never imagining that her dreams would not only be fulfilled, but they also would reach heights she never considered possible.

Flores is a recent graduate of Women's Economic Ventures, a nonprofit organization that provides business training for women in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties.

WEV taught her how to run her house-cleaning business in Ventura, Flores said.

"When I first started the 14-week course, I didn't even feel confident with my English," she said. "So I was really relieved when I learned that everything would be taught in Spanish."

WEV's next training classes begin Sept. 7.

Flores moved to Ventura County more than five years ago, leaving what she said was an abusive relationship.

"I would help abused children and battered women, yet I would have to wear long sleeves to hide my bruised arms," she said.

While WEV might be familiar to many people, the Santa Barbara-based organization wants to raise awareness about the classes it offers in Spanish. The goal is to help Latinas with their cash flow, marketing, competition and elements of a business plan.

"This program is here to benefit the entire community, but we also accommodate to the Hispanic community, including Spanish-speaking guests at our seminars," said Sylvia Schnopp-Munoz, Ventura County regional manager for WEV.

"Women come to us when they have an idea but don't know how to realize it or where to start" she said. "We are dedicated to helping women become economically self-sufficient through entrepreneurship and career development. We want to reach out to everyone."

The enrollment fees are based on a sliding scale and vary depending on income and dependants. "The least someone will pay is $75, but our averages range is from $100 to $300," Schnopp-Munoz said.

"A survey done by the Aspen Institute showed that the success rate among our graduates is outstanding, if they don't have their business started when they graduate, they will within the first year of graduation," she said.

"With at least 80 percent success rate, we are ecstatic."

Flores pointed out that the classes are easy to understand and only last about one hour three times a week.

"I live a life today that I never realized was within my reach," she said. "I don't live month to month any more. I can sincerely say that I can offer my children economical security."

Beginning in September, classes in Spanish are 6 to 9 p.m. Mondays at the Ventura County Community Foundation/United Way offices, 1317 Del Norte Road, Camarillo. Other classes will be 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays at Esseff Village, 1423-1425 E. Thousand Oaks Blvd., Thousand Oaks.

On the Net:

http://wevonline.org

http://stelhousecleaning.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Flores moved to Ventura County more than five years ago, leaving what she said was an abusive relationship.

"I would help abused children and battered women, yet I would have to wear long sleeves to hide my bruised arms," she said.
    Is this more of this "family values don't stop at the Rio Grande" stuff I keep hearing?

I don't suppose there's any point in asking if she came here legally, is there?
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.