Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: North Carolina - White House hears requests of Latinos

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

North Carolina - White House hears requests of Latinos

By Chinmayi Sharma | March 18, 2012

Some members of Durham’s Latino community are looking for greater resources and community outreach from public officials.

The White House Hispanic Community Action Summit was conducted as a dialogue at the American Tobacco Campus Saturday. Members of the Triangle area were able to dictate discussion and White House officials responded in turn. The summit brought together about 400 stakeholders in Durham and more than a dozen federal officials to discuss health care, education, the economy and immigration policy as they affect the local Latino community.

“This is the hardest thing we’re going to do—identifying the next steps and how we can solve them,” said Jose Rico, executive director of the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics.

Durham was the 16th city to host the national series of discussions between Latino community leaders and White House officials. Mayor Bill Bell said Durham, whose population is about 14 percent Latino, is a key location for this discussion due to the Latino community’s growth in the city’s industries.

“People in this area need to open their eyes to the blatantly unjust practices of the government,” said Irving de Dios, a 27-year-old Raleigh resident. “I have a son, and I want to raise him in a country I can be proud of—my country. And I don’t need a paper to say that this is my home.”

De Dios wore a T-shirt that noted his status as an illegal immigrant and said he would not succumb to unfair immigration laws that tear families apart.

“We need to fix a broken system,” said Esther Olavarria, counselor to the secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. “It’s not that Latinos don’t want to do it—it’s that they can’t.”

In cities such as Durham that rely on small businesses, technical assistance and business development advice should be offered to ambitious members of the Latino population, she added.

In 10 years, Latinos will comprise about 30 percent of the nation’s work force, Rico added.

“This is also a battle between legislation and administration,” said lawyer Ann Robertson, a Raleigh resident. “These laws are presumably made with good intentions, but they end up putting innocent people behind bars and separating parents from their children.”

Although significant problems persist, there have also been empirical signs of progress, including the growing number of Latino entrepreneurs, said Julie Rodriguez, associate director of Latino affairs and immigration for the Office of Public Engagement. She noted the growth of entrepreneurs especially among the Latina population. During the economic downturn, President Barack Obama and his administration prevented 1.9 million Latinos from falling into poverty with the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Candid discussions are necessary to incite change, said Toby Chaudhuri, who handles strategic communications for several White House initiatives. The government is far removed from the people they serve at times and sometimes politicians need to let communities take the lead.

“The future of our country depends on the future of our Hispanic communities,” Chaudhuri said. “Hispanics make up the largest and fastest-growing group in our country—government has a responsibility to understand what this growth means for federal policies.”

Audience member Channa Pickett, senior program coordinator for the Office of Durham and Regional Affairs, said the drive to bring changes for the Latino community was the most important aspect of the event.

“Si se puede,” Rodriguez said, Spanish for “yes, we can.”

source: White House hears requests of Latinos | The Chronicle
    Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 07-24-2013 at 07:40 AM.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

These illegals have to right to political representation, 1) they are here illegally 2)they are not even citizens. those vote! well no doubt some do and Obama maybe believes that they should also because after all we are ONE world, right?

working4change

400 stakeholders
    The word 'stakeholders' is the terminology we have seen again and again in the planning documents for the North American Integration aka North American Community aka North American Union.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

“People in this area need to open their eyes to the blatantly unjust practices of the government,” said Irving de Dios, a 27-year-old Raleigh resident. “I have a son, and I want to raise him in a country I can be proud of—my country. And I don’t need a paper to say that this is my home.”

How arrogant and ignorant of this man to say such things. Nothing like saying that laws don't matter and he can do whatever he pleases. Sorry buddy but you DO need papers!! These people think they are so special and above the law.

While the WH listens to illegal Latinos, they appear to be deaf to the voices of citizens.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Foreign nationals are guests in this country, not stakeholders. they are here only because they have physically managed to crawl in, they are not citizens and have not earned the right to be citizens regardless of how many state sponsored dependents they produce.

I don't see Mexico or other nations allowing foreign nationals to vote in their elections, why should we?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by alamb View Post
    These illegals have NO RIGHT to political representation, 1) they are here illegally 2)they are not even citizens. those vote! well no doubt some do and Obama maybe believes that they should also because after all we are ONE world, right?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct. No rights, but MORE RIGHTS than American Citizens.

Here's why ..

Five states will lose House seats due to US Census Policy Concerning Illegal Immigrants

Washington's Elite Best-Kept Secret of why they protect illegal aliens - ITS FOR THEIR VOTES!

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If one has to have a piece of paper in Mexico and other Latin American countries, to say that is their home, *THEN WHY DO THEY THINK, THAT THE SAME SHOULD NOT BE A REQUIREMENT HERE?* these Illegal Aliens, are wanting to make this country over, *JUST TO SUIT THEM AND, THEIR AGENDA.* WE as Americans need to ALL STAND UP AND SAY *NO MORE!* It's past time for a *REVOLUTION* IN THIS COUNTRY OVER ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. you go to the grocery store in the evenings and, THERE THEY ARE, OUT IN FORCE. I FOR ONE, AM SICK OF SEEING THEM HERE IN THIS COUNTRY AND, TRYING TO TAKE OVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican View Post
    Foreign nationals are guests in this country, not stakeholders. they are here only because they have physically managed to crawl in, they are not citizens and have not earned the right to be citizens regardless of how many state sponsored dependents they produce.

I don't see Mexico or other nations allowing foreign nationals to vote in their elections, why should we?
    *This just goes to show the world, just how DUMBED DOWN our government really is!* to just bow down to the demands of Illegal Aliens and, the governments of the countries from which they are from. this goes especially for * THE MEXICAN GOVERNMENT!* their peasant of a president can come here, and speak bad of our country and it's immigration laws, and yet he is applauded by some of our *ELECTED IDIOTS* IN THE PEOPLE'S HOUSE. hopefully these people that gave this man a standing ovation, will be going home, right along with Obama!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast