Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

North Chicago: Legal status questioned at school enrollment

I thought this was very interesting! Even school officals are getting fed up with this issue. I'll watch to see where this goes. It was discussed on our local radio -they are going to watch it as well as they want to support the school official in case he gets in trouble. Is this another law that will get revisited? Notice how quick the parent went running to MALDEF... Note: North Chicago is the direct southern neighbor of Waukegan.

Legal status questioned at school enrollment

August 11, 2007
    By RYAN PAGELOW rpagelow@scn1.com

A parent trying to re-register her child at a North Chicago school was allegedly questioned about her immigration status earlier this week before her child was eventually enrolled in the district.

The Illinois State Board of Education is reviewing the enrollment policy of North Chicago Community Unit District 187, said board spokesperson Matt Vanover.

"We have reached out to the district and requested they provide us with their policies on enrollment documentation," he said. "Immigration status has no bearing on the right of a student to enroll."

The district requires proof of residency within District 187 boundaries by providing three of the following: A recent gas bill, electric bill, mortgage, renter's lease or driver's license or state ID.

Earlier this week a parent used a gas bill, electric bill and mortgage documents to satisfy the district's residency requirements at her child's local school, according to Ricardo Meza, regional counsel for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

The parent, who neither Meza nor school officials identified, also presented a photo identification card issued by the Mexican Consulate in Chicago, known as a matricula. Administrators told her that the matricula was not being accepted as proof of district residency and she needed to produce a state-issued identification card.

The parent complained to an administrator at the district office who responded by calling Homeland Security. The administrator then told the parent to show proof of legal residency or work authorization, Meza said.

School officials cannot make inquires of students or parents that may expose their undocumented status, according to a 1982 Supreme Court case that overturned a Texas statute that denied enrollment in the public schools to children not legally admitted into the country.

District 187 School Board President Gloria Harper said that the call to Homeland Security was only to inquire about the matricula card.

The intent of the district's proof of residency requirements are to ensure that all students live within district boundaries.

"For the taxpayer we must ensure that the children do live in North Chicago," Harper said.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... ,5_1_WA11_
    NORTHCHICAGO_S1.article[/b]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

School officials cannot make inquires of students or parents that may expose their undocumented status, according to a 1982 Supreme Court case that overturned a Texas statute that denied enrollment in the public schools to children not legally admitted into the country.
    What? So the Supreme Court thinks we should educate law breakers? This is totally unacceptable. I take it the 1982 Supreme Court was predominately liberal.
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If they are undocumented they need to be exposed. That's the point.
    ( STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT EMPLOYMENT - BOYCOTT FIELDALE FARMS, PILGRIMS PRIDE & TYSON POULTRY )

I cannot help but believe the cynical use of the law by
    MALDEF will not one day boomerang. They only want
    to use the force of law when it pushes a racist or
    Mexican reconquest agenda. These kind of stories
    depress me to no end. What rights?!?!? You're not a
    citizen or legal resident!!! I know people who work for
    Wake County Public Schools & they say they feel like
    they betray their country & its principles everyday.

How about a call to I.C.E. to ask about status...?? Do you think that might work?

I just can't figure out what part of the words ( Illegal & Law ) these people and officials don't understand.
    ( STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT EMPLOYMENT - BOYCOTT FIELDALE FARMS, PILGRIMS PRIDE & TYSON POULTRY )

dem4labor said
    I cannot help but believe the cynical use of the law by MALDEF will not one day boomerang.
    I have gone down that same path. It would be poetic justice if the case that eventually rules against them and becomes precedent was indeed filed by them. Filing lawsuits is a risky stratgey for them. It paves the way for interrogatories, depositions, etc that are practically unlimited in scope and can expose things that they did not intend to put on display.

AVENGER

"I take it the 1982 Supreme Court was predominately liberal."

We now supposedly have a conservative court. And look what they just did to desegregation!!!!!! Set it back 100 years.

If it's supposedly protecting the taxpayers by making sure all students at a particular school live within that school district...wouldn't it make sense, then, that it protects the taxpayers by making sure all students in a school ARE IN THE COUNTRY LEGALLY???

I'm so tired of my hard-earned tax dollars going to support the bretheren of illegals.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

I know I had to show alot of paperwork to enroll my kids and I'm a citizen. For safety purposes you weren't allowed to take a child off school grounds unless it was pre-approved by the parent and they had to show a photo ID. I mean they KNEW I was their mother and I had to show identification all the time. And they act like this is putting them out. Our taxes are collected to help the citizens of this country....not every person on the planet who wants to show up. I mean as a citizen you can't even enroll your kid in another district that might be closer to work or easier for a caregiver to reach. If a citizen can't do that then why should illegals be able to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast