Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

'Not A Civil Rights Movement,' Conservative Says

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp? ... 0411a.html

'Not A Civil Rights Movement,' Conservative Says
    By Susan Jones
    CNSNews.com Senior Editor
    April 11, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D., Mass.), who co-sponsored the Senate bill that would allow illegal immigrants to "earn" U.S. citizenship, compared Monday's immigration rallies to the civil rights movement. But a conservative black minister challenged the comparison.

"This is reminiscent of the civil rights movement," Kennedy told a crowd of pro-immigration demonstrators in Washington. "It's equal in terms of intensity and feelings among the groups," wire reports quoted him as saying.

There is no comparison, said the Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson, the founder of a group that helps black men and their families better themselves.

"Ted Kennedy should be ashamed for comparing the civil rights struggles of blacks to that of illegal aliens," Peterson said in a press release. "Black Americans are being driven out of their jobs and schools by the influx of illegals -- while politicians like Kennedy sell them out for Hispanic votes."

Peterson noted that 30 years ago, 24 percent of the Los Angeles Unified School District was black, and 32 percent was Hispanic. Now, he said, 10 percent of the students are black and 70 percent are Hispanic.

"These figures should be alarming to anyone who cares about black Americans," Peterson said. He called it unfortunate that some politicians are more interested in the next election -- "and blacks are a small slice of the voting pie, while Hispanic numbers are exploding."

"Blacks must finally claim their birthright as Americans, and say 'no' to the further devastation of their workforce and communities by illegal aliens and their political accomplices," Peterson said.

Not even Close Kennedy

You have to be a citizen to have the "rights" afforded us in the Constitution. Illegals do not have any rights in the US but they do in Mexico. They want "rights", they can go back to Mexico.

Oh, please, spare me Teddy K.
    That sounds like a kid's breakfast cereal.
    Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

- Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D., Mass.), who co-sponsored the Senate bill that would allow illegal immigrants to "earn" U.S. citizenship, compared Monday's immigration rallies to the civil rights movement. But a conservative black minister challenged the comparison.

"This is reminiscent of the civil rights movement," Kennedy told a crowd of pro-immigration demonstrators in Washington. "It's equal in terms of intensity and feelings among the groups," wire reports quoted him as saying.
    they are so IGNORANT --- the black protesters of the 60's were not protesting to "EARN U.S. CITIZENSHIP" -- they WERE and STILL ARE citizens of this country -- CITIZENS with a voice and a LEGAL VOTE that have the right and duty to kick these traitors butts to the curb
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Ok gave him my 2 cents but maybe I should have called. (not sure he can read)
    The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Kennedy Doesn't Get It

I totally agree with Reverend Peterson. The Civil Rights movement was an effort by Black Americans to assert their inalienable rights as equal citizens in our society. Illegal aliens cannot even begin to imagine the pain, sufffering and anguish Black people endured during that tumultuous era. I find it very disgraceful that Kennedy would even portray or equate Hispanics "struggle" for rights they aren't entitled to to those of Black people or any US Citizen who are entitled to rights as defined in our Constitution. I am Jewish. My grandparents legally immigrated from Europe to escape oppression. It doesn't surprise me that Senator Kennedy backs a bill granting amnesty. He is an expert in violating laws...a certain incident in Chappaquidick comes to mind.

An Affront to the Struggle of Black Americans

I can't beleive that anyone in their right minds (well I guess that's the point) would even consider the civil rights issues of the 60's is in anyway related to the demands of the illegal immigrants in this country. The other thing I can't get over is the support of the NAACP and Unions when it comes to "illegal immigrant" rights. It's absurd for either of these organizations to be behind this or come out speaking for it. I would hope that those in unions would withold their dues as well as Black Americans in the US with thier support NAACP until they back off from thier support for amnesty.

Outraged by Ted Kennedy's Remarks

I think that it is ridiculous for Ted Kennedy to associate the civil rights movement and illegal immigrants in the same breath. Blacks were in this country legally and fighting for equal rights and to be judged by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin.

The illegal immigrants are in violation of the law and they should not be rewarded for doing so. I fell like taking to the streets myself in protest.