Well, I've certainly heard from many immigrants that they feel "slapped in the face" by illegal immigrants skipping head of the line. But then again, I wouldn't ever expect to hear that out of Rekha Basu...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... 0738530611

Basu: Not a slap, but a stroke
REKHA BASU
REGISTER COLUMNIST

April 2, 2006

I'd like it on the record that I don't feel slapped in the face. Neither do my immigrant family or friends, or anyone I know who became a citizen or permanent resident through the "proper" channels.

I mention this because opponents of the immigration-reform plan introduced to the Senate Thursday by Arlen Specter are fond of saying that legalizing undocumented immigrants is a slap in the face to those who immigrated legally.

Far from it.

If anything, it's a stroke, an affirmation. It says we've been worth the effort, so our successors will be, too. And isn't that what America is all about?

Creating a path to legalization for the 12 million or so immigrants here without papers is no more a slap to legal immigrants than granting one inmate parole is a slap to others. It ought to be the common goal.

The Senate Judiciary Committee recognized that. The mass outrage generated by a House bill that would have turned undocumented immigrants into felons is proof of how many people want a better solution than sending the undocumented to prison or giving them the boot. Entire economies would collapse, companies would fold, parents would be ripped away from young children. But a different Senate bill with some of the same onerous provisions is being sponsored by Bill Frist.

While we're on myths, let's dispel a few others. Being an illegal immigrant doesn't mean you're a criminal or don't want to get legal. There is now no channel by which someone in another country can apply to come here as a worker. Employers can apply to bring in a limited number of workers for mostly high-end jobs where there's a labor shortage. But for foreigners, the only way to apply for residency status is through an immediate family member who has it. And there are still country quotas and family-preference categories and huge backlogs.

Under the Specter bill, undocumented immigrants would have to apply first for permanent residency, then citizenship, an eight-year process. They'd need to have a job, pass a criminal check, learn English and pay fines and back taxes.

It's a myth that national security would be compromised by letting more immigrants in legally. It would be strengthened, as former Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Stewart Verdery acknowledged in a telephone press conference Thursday. He said the huge flow of unauthorized crossings allows "bad actors" to slip in undetected. The bill would enhance border security. People with papers are screened and can be kept track of.

But concern has been raised over undue harshness in the bill for allowing some indefinite detentions and some expedited deportations without a hearing and for giving state and local law enforcement more authority to enforce immigration laws. Those provisions should be reconsidered.

The bill would allow some 400,000 foreigners into America as guest workers every year. Some of those could eventually become citizens. It's a fair question why there aren't enough Americans to do those jobs. Some argue the real issue is that foreigners can be paid less. If so, this bill should help. Immigrants who become legal can earn more, which elevates wages for all workers. There would be penalties for employers who hire illegal immigrants.

This is a compromise solution that recognizes what is - that the undocumented are generally here because they need work and there's work for them. It's reason for optimism that Republicans and Democrats from John McCain to Ted Kennedy have put politics aside to promote a fair and workable plan.