Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NY-Reforms for deportation policies that split families unit

Reforms for deportation policies that split families unites elected officials and community leaders

New York Daily News
    Albor Ruiz - Ny Local
    Sunday, September 20th 2009, 4:00 AM

East Harlem against deportation, a group whose name doesn't leave any doubt about its mission, released an important report this past Thursday.

Aptly named "Immigration Reform Starts Here," the report makes concrete policy recommendations for the city and the state to protect immigrants and their families.

"The inspiration for our work comes from the hard-working immigrant families of New York...past, present and future," said State Sen. José Serrano (D-South Bronx), who spearheaded the group, a coalition of elected officials and community leaders.

The group is also forwarding 1,000 letters from immigrant families to President Obama. Signed by legal residents on behalf of their immigrant friends and families, the letters urge the President to put a stop to the unjust detention and deportations that tear families apart, and to take the lead in advocating for comprehensive immigration reform.

But the East Harlem group believes that much can also be done at the local level to improve the lives of immigrant families.

"To make the case for comprehensive reform in Washington, we need to energize the grassroots, and also curb the unjust practices that are taking place here at home," Serrano said.

One particularly important recommendation urges the city to revise its collaboration with federal immigration officials.

In New York City, the Department of Correction allows federal officials to interview, detain and take custody of prisoners believed to be in violation of immigration law, the report says.

"My brother-in-law did nothing wrong. He worked, paid his taxes and raised his family," said Florentina (last name withheld), a member of the activist group Make the Road New York who was quoted in the report. "The charges they put him in Rikers for were dropped, but now, because of ICE [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] he is in detention in Texas. ICE is trying to give him a life sentence of exile from his family."

According to Serrano, this collaboration of the city and the federal government has resulted in an estimated 13,000 New Yorkers - many of them, like Florentina's brother-in-law, arrested on minor charges or later found not guilty - being placed into deportation proceedings since 2004.

"In too many corners of government, deportation is a mere statistic," says the study. "In East Harlem, deportation is a broken family."

The coalition also recommends issuing a New York City ID card that would expand access to municipal services and increase public safety.

One thing the municipal ID card would not do, the report says, "is allow immigrants to circumvent federal law or citizenship procedures, or access government programs and services for which they do not already qualify under current law."

Also, the report advises a greater effort to raise the level of trust between undocumented immigrant families and the NYPD.

"Crimes are not being reported because immigrant families fear that interacting with the police would lead to deportation. How do you police a community that won't talk to you?" the report says, echoing an argument repeatedly made by many police chiefs across the nation.

Will any of these measures be adopted? Serrano is confident they will, although he acknowledges that the current anti-immigration climate will make it harder.

"Chances are good. They do not require legislative action, the heads of agencies can decide if they want to adopt them, and that makes it easier," Serrano said. "I think that when agencies read the report they will see a compelling argument to go ahead with these simple recommendations. We can do much at the local level to give immigrants the respect they deserve."

aruiz@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/bro ... z0ResmYfYe

"My brother-in-law did nothing wrong. He worked, paid his taxes and raised his family," said Florentina (last name withheld), a member of the activist group Make the Road New York who was quoted in the report. "The charges they put him in Rikers for were dropped, but now, because of ICE [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] he is in detention in Texas. ICE is trying to give him a life sentence of exile from his family."
    Right, he did nothing wrong once you overlook jumping a border, working ( more than likely with SOMEONE else's ID, SS#)... but why let those minor things stand in his way????? Tough crap for the American's job he took, or the food he's taking out of THEIR mouths, right?

State Sen. José Serrano (D-South Bronx)... THIS MAN NEEDS TO GO! But first lets charge HIM with aiding and abetting...

Here we go again: "immigrants" with no differentiation between legal and illegal. Legals should not fear deportation, so that means a preponderous amount of those worried about this are here illegally. This guy's employer should also be investigated, and why is Florentina not using her last name?
    This is nothing more than twisting semantics, but what does one expect from a reporter probably cheering for his countrymen that are here illegally.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

this family splitting emotional argument is poppycock . The overwhelming majority of immigrants to this country left family behind. My entire family is in Europe and yes it is hard but hey...

ELE

It's like forcing us to buy a billion dollar poop sandwich.

The arrogance of their supporters amazes me. The supporters are not stuck paying for them, the American tax payers are stuck with the burden. And "we the people" get nothing in return for our tax dollars but the destruction of our country to accomodate a population that disrespects us, feels a false sense of entitlement, are criminals and devastate our communities and economy.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

State Sen. José Serrano (D-South Bronx), who spearheaded the group, a coalition of elected officials and community leaders.
    Like I say,our politicians better watch out for what they vote on. As you can tell the illegals that become legal or supported from Hispanic groups will vote their own into office. How are you going to get rid of them when the demographics change!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

"Crimes are not being reported because immigrant families fear that interacting with the police would lead to deportation. How do you police a community that won't talk to you?" the report says, echoing an argument repeatedly made by many police chiefs across the nation.
    Wait a minute. I remember seeing countless times ,signs being carried by ILLEGAL ALIENS,"we are not criminals,we are just workers" So why would they need to report any crime???

Quote Originally Posted by alamb
    this family splitting emotional argument is poppycock . The overwhelming majority of immigrants to this country left family behind. My entire family is in Europe and yes it is hard but hey...
    If they are really worried about splitting up their family then they are welcome to take them with them...it's just another infestation of verbally abusive language that is insulting to the intelligence of Americans.
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!

Aptly named "Immigration Reform Starts Here," the report makes concrete policy recommendations for the city and the state to protect immigrants and their families.
    Yes, but the city and state should NOT be protecting ILLEGAL immigrants and their families.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They should not be complaining at all since they are a large sanctuary city to begin with. We do not seperate the families to begin with. They cross the border to work and leave their families behind and then send money home to get them across the border and then have more anchor babies to collect benefits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast