Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NY Senate committees to hold hearing (Spitzer)

www.capitalnews9.com

Senate committees to hold hearing
    Updated: 10/14/2007 6:56:16 PM
    By: Web Staff

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Two Senate Committees are holding a joint public hearing later this morning to discuss Governor Eliot Spitzer's plan to issue drivers' licenses to illegal aliens. The panel will hear from several people today including State Commissioner Motor Vehicles David Swarts. Five County Clerks -- including ones from Saratoga and Rensselaer will be there as well. Commissioner Swarts is also a former clerk from Erie County.

The issue is the governor's proposal to give all illegal aliens access to licenses without producing a social security number. State republicans say this poses a security risk -- and Assembly Minority Leader James Tedisco says the governor needs a reality check.

Tedisco said "Its kind of scary to think that the Governor says, well we're going to give it to every single illegal alien, what kind of message does that say to people that are actually waiting in line to be citizens, It says if I break the law and come here illegally, if I stay here illegally, and if I drive illegally, the Governor thinks that because I'm here anyway I should make it easier and give illegal drivers licenses."

Tedisco also says he's especially upset over what he calls a secret move by the governor to eliminate the Temporary Visitors Program -- which keeps tabs on documented illegal aliens with an expiration stamp on their license.

The New York State Association of County Clerks passed a resolution in opposition of the governor's plan two-weeks-ago.

Spitzer has argued increasing access to driver's licenses, tied to increased anti-fraud security measures, is good for public safety and good for homeland security

DMV Commissioner Swarts will be a guest this evening on Capital Tonight, at 8 p.m. and again at 11:30 p.m.

Copyright © 2007 TWEAN d.b.a. Capital News 9

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/top ... rID=222773

Albany Lawmakers Discuss Licenses For Illegal Immigrants

October 15, 2007

Two state Senate committees are holding a hearing today on Governor Eliot Spitzer's controversial plan to give illegal immigrants New York driver's licenses, while a poll released today shows the majority of voters oppose the idea.

The Senate Committee on Veterans, Homeland Security and Military Affairs and the Transportation Committee have opened the discussion in Albany.

Under the governor's plan, undocumented immigrants would only have to show a foreign passport to get a license.

Those in support of the proposal say it could help catch criminals and lower insurance rates, but critics say its bad for national security and it could help terrorists get legitimate driver's licenses.

The results of a Siena Research Institute poll released today show only 22 percent of voters support the plan, while 72 percent are against it.

The poll was conducted last week via telephone to more than 600 registered voters in New York state. It has a margin of error of plus or minus three point nine percentage points.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.js ... &aid=74567

I seem to remember a certain governer being recalled over doing such a thing as issueing drivers licenses to illegals. Please let this happen to this idiot.
    "When the Government Fears the People, there is Liberty. When the People Fear the Government, there is Tyranny."

Thomas Jefferson