Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama to Las Vegas: 'I'm the jackpot'

Obama to Las Vegas: 'I'm the jackpot'

PICKING UP SUPPORT: Sen. Barack Obama appears with Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano at a town hall meeting at Del Sol High School in Las Vegas.

The candidate picks up key endorsements and fires up thousands of supporters in a bid to build momentum.
    By Maura Reynolds, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    January 12, 2008

LAS VEGAS -- Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama opened a big campaign push here on Friday, rallying Democrats in an effort to recover from a narrow loss in New Hampshire.

"Since I'm in Las Vegas, I'm going to say: I'm the jackpot. My bet is paying off," Obama told thousands of supporters in a high school gymnasium decorated with a homemade banner draped with Christmas lights and reading "Nevada for Change."

The senator from Illinois plans to spend most of the next week in this state, where Jan. 19 caucuses are next on the national primary schedule. They are seen as an important indicator of Obama's ability to appeal to Western voters, especially Latinos.

Obama staffers said they hoped that momentum built here would carry on to subsequent primaries -- South Carolina on Jan. 26 and the potentially decisive Super Tuesday balloting in large states, including California, on Feb. 5.

"We're going to show America that what happens in Vegas, it's not going to stay in Vegas anymore," Obama earlier told members of the Culinary Workers Local 226, whose endorsement this week has boosted his organizing ability, especially in the city.

Obama picked up a key Western endorsement Friday from Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, a Democrat who introduced the senator at Del Sol High School, saying her state had much in common with Nevada.

"We understand in the West, perhaps more than anywhere else in the country, the value of change," Napolitano said. "And we need change."

In a town-hall-style meeting at the school, Obama fielded questions on immigration, healthcare and divesting from Sudan. He also told the capacity crowd of about 2,000 that he opposed the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste storage facility.

Thousands more supporters lined up outside the school, unable to fit inside. Obama took a few minutes before the event to cheer them.

"If you could not get in today, I don't want you to think that you are not precious to this campaign," Obama said, clutching a hastily commandeered microphone and standing on a small box. "We need you caucusing for us. We need you standing up for us. We're in a defining moment of our history. Our nation is at war, our planet is at peril. This is our chance."

Earlier, in a stuffy union hall with ceiling fans whirring futilely overhead, Obama rallied union members by translating his new rallying cry into Spanish.

"We are ready to start the next chapter in American history, starting with those three words: SÃ*, se puede," Obama said.

"SÃ*, se puede" -- which means "Yes, we can" -- was the slogan of the huge pro-immigration rallies that mobilized Latinos in Los Angeles and around the country two years ago.

"SÃ*, se puede," the workers shouted in response.

maura.reynolds@latimes.com
    http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... ome-center
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    He should be our Focus in shuting a canidate down !!!

Smells like pandering to me...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In NH, he and his supporters were shouting "Yes. We Can!!" What an insult to every American and Mexican-American! Everyone knows it's the mantra of LaRaza and the illegals! I guess he thinks he can switch back and forth from Spanish to English depending on what city he's in!

Could't he have come up with a less controversial expression??? Dumb, dumb, dumb!

His arrogance is superceded only by his lack of substance. But we need him to win the primary. After that, it's a piece of cake...for us!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMe
    In NH, he and his supporters were shouting "Yes. We Can!!" What an insult to every American and Mexican-American! Everyone knows it's the mantra of LaRaza and the illegals! I guess he thinks he can switch back and forth from Spanish to English depending on what city he's in!

Could't he have come up with a less controversial expression??? Dumb, dumb, dumb!

His arrogance is superceded only by his lack of substance. But we need him to win the primary. After that, it's a piece of cake...for us!
    i still think it would be a good thing if alipac as a group came out hard fighting this gutless worm

Isn't it respectful, that the invaders will stoop so low as to take our icons and patriotic emblems from past generations and bastardize them to suit thier own lawless, anarchist agenda??? Call me an evil racist, but somehow I just don't think that our brave soldiers have fought and died in the past and today for Open Borders and Comprehensive Immigration Reform

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    Isn't it respectful, that the invaders will stoop so low as to take our icons and patriotic emblems from past generations and bastardize them to suit thier own lawless, anarchist agenda??? Call me an evil racist, but somehow I just don't think that our brave soldiers have fought and died in the past and today for Open Borders and Comprehensive Immigration Reform
    The nerve of those Beeeps Beeping Beeeeps
    That ticks me off

Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN

i still think it would be a good thing if alipac as a group came out hard fighting this gutless worm
    I know what your're saying!!! But we have to pray that he wins the primary so we can get Shrillary out of the way.

Is it my imagination or is this guy 100% ANTI-AMERICAN? I almost fell off my chair when started shouting "Yes, We Can" in English in NH; but I figured he was borrowing a page from the LaRaza playbook, and just wanted to rally the Blacks! But NOW...it's in Spanish!

I think we're dealing with a very dangerous guy...won't say the Pledge of Allegiance or wear the lapel flag...These actions might just be the tip of the iceberg with this guy...he's a total UNKNOWN!

I think he will self-destruct by the time the elections roll around...but we really want him to get rid of Hillary for us in the primaries.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN

I know what your're saying!!! But we have to pray that he wins the primary so we can get Shrillary out of the way.

Is it my imagination or is this guy 100% ANTI-AMERICAN? I almost fell off my chair when started shouting "Yes, We Can" in English in NH; but I figured he was borrowing a page from the LaRaza playbook, and just wanted to rally the Blacks! But NOW...it's in Spanish!

I think we're dealing with a very dangerous guy...won't say the Pledge of Allegiance or wear the lapel flag...These actions might just be the tip of the iceberg with this guy...he's a total UNKNOWN!

I think he will self-destruct by the time the elections roll around...but we really want him to get rid of Hillary for us in the primaries.
    Edwards would be a better choice if that was the goal