Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Obama resists Hispanic Dems' push to stop deportations

Obama resists Hispanic Dems' push to stop deportations
    Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:00 am

WASHINGTON - The White House is urging lawmakers to back away from a campaign led by Hispanic Democrats to block deportations involving U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants, a move that risks antagonizing Latino voters crucial to President Obama's re-election.

Several members of Congress who were scheduled to attend a March 31 news conference on the issue said administration officials contacted them to voice concern about their participation. Until federal immigration law is overhauled, the lawmakers say, Obama should use his executive power to protect families facing deportation or separation because at least one parent is an illegal immigrant.

"The staffers that are attached to us, the liaisons, they transmitted some concern," said Rep. Mike Honda, D-Calif. and former chairman of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, referring to the White House legislative affairs office. "They would have loved us not to have gone to the press conference."

Honda, a Japanese-American, attended with other officials, including Asian and black lawmakers, even after getting a call, because it's "not only about Hispanics," he said. "I want to broaden that so people don't think just brown."

At least three Democrats - Honda, Judy Chu of California and Keith Ellison of Minnesota - said they were contacted about the event. Reps. Yvette Clarke of New York and Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, who, like Ellison, are members of the Congressional Black Caucus, were scheduled to attend and didn't, according to their offices. Neither Clarke nor Lee could be reached for comment.

"Not everybody who usually shows up, showed up," Honda said.

The absences were noted by members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.

"I heard some people got called," said Rep. Raúl Grijalva, D-Ariz., a former president of the caucus. "I didn't."

The lawmakers are asking the White House "to make some administrative remedies to lessen the pain," Grijalva said. "They see that as politically not healthy for them."

Offering relief to illegal immigrants through executive fiat, and not legislation, could anger voters worried about the estimated 11.2 million undocumented residents in the United States. It may also undermine Obama's argument that he favors a comprehensive immigration overhaul through Congress.

"We regularly reach out to lawmakers to discuss immigration reform," said White House spokesman Jay Carney. "Our focus continues to be on building bipartisan consensus around a legislative path that can produce comprehensive reform."

The administration argues that it doesn't have the legal authority to exempt certain immigrant categories from the law.

Lawmakers, led by Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill. and the first Hispanic member of Congress to endorse Obama for president in 2007, called the news conference last week to announce a 20-city tour to highlight the effect "our broken immigration system" can have in splitting up families. The tour began last weekend, with rallies in Providence, R.I., and Boston.

They're also seeking help for those who would have been covered by the White House-backed Dream Act, which passed the House last year and was blocked in the Senate. It would provide permanent residency to college graduates and military veterans who arrived in the U.S. as children illegally.

As of 2008, there were 4 million children in the U.S. who were citizens yet had at least one parent who wasn't, according to a report by the Pew Hispanic Center.

"You don't have to deport them, Mr. President, you can parole them in place," Gutierrez said, previewing the argument he will make with Obama when they meet later this month. "The goal is to say that the young people in the Dream Act should be paroled in place."
    http://azstarnet.com/news/local/border/ ... 953ce.html
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

He definitely risks antagonizing 80% of Americans who are against amnesty, if he would stop deportations illegal aliens.

The administration argues that it doesn't have the legal authority to exempt certain immigrant categories from the law.
    Hmmm, who are the "certain immigrants'?

They don't have the authority to exempt ANY illegal aliens. ENFORCE THE LAWS AND DEPORT EM ALL!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

working4change
    Related Thread Here: Families urge Obama to end deportations

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-233073-dep ... html+obama

So maybe Obama is...starting to...have a conscience toward US? I did write to him saying he risks millions of American lives if things continue the way they are going and the radicals reach majority status....

Quote Originally Posted by sacredrage
    So maybe Obama is...starting to...have a conscience toward US? I did write to him saying he risks millions of American lives if things continue the way they are going and the radicals reach majority status....
    I seriously doubt it. Obama's minion advisors aren't stupid. I'm sure they have advised him that any move to legalize a large number of illegals without Congress approval would be political suicide.

This is not something the administration wants to be dealing with right before the political campaigning starts.

One thing I've learned about Obama - what he says is not necessarily what he does.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Those supporting illegal immigrants must understand where they stand with majority of citizens and should also accept White-House advice.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    Quote Originally Posted by sacredrage
    I seriously doubt it. Obama's minion advisors aren't stupid. I'm sure they have advised him that any move to legalize a large number of illegals without Congress approval would be political suicide.

This is not something the administration wants to be dealing with right before the political campaigning starts.
    I agree the President has been advised well of current issues as well as citizens thoughts and views of illegal aliens.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself: