Hispanic Leaders Call For Board Member's 'Immediate Resignation'

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/News ... geId=3.1.1
Last Edited: Thursday, 06 Sep 2007, 5:52 PM CDT
Created: Thursday, 06 Sep 2007, 5:49 PM CDT

A controversial Parks Board appointee called police when a group of protesters showed up at her home. They were there to demand Frances Semler's resignation and they're not alone. Both the Hispanic activist group La Raza and the NAACP said they're considering pulling national conventions out of Kansas City if Semler stays on the Parks Board.

A neighbor said that Semler, 73, was worried about her safety when a group of people stood outside her door at 9 p.m. wanting to speak to her and that's why she called police.

Semler's a member of the Minutemen, an anti-illegal immigration group that some see as racist. When her opponents tried to pay her a personal visit, she called police.

"It was myself, two other women and three men. It was not meant to be intimidating," Rita Valenciano with the Hispanic Coalition said.

A police report filed by Semler said the group rang her "doorbell several times and after she didn't answer the door they started banging on the door."

A member of that group said it was trying to hand deliver a letter asking Semler to "immediately resign."

"We wanted to make sure she personally received the letter," Chere Chaney with Interfaith Justice said.

Semler's neighbor Helen Richmond said as an older woman she understands why Semler didn't answer the door.

"Because I don't know who is on the other side," Richmond said. "We have had several break-ins."

Semler wouldn't talk to us in person, but told us on the phone that she has no intention of resigning from the Parks Board or from the Minutemen. Mayor Mark Funkhouser is sticking with her.

"The volume at which they yell at me on something doesn't really change my mind on something. I don't see anything about the debate that is new or different," Mayor Funkhouser said.

But civic leaders said they will keep on making noise until their voices are heard.

Semler said she's not opposed to the Latino community. She's opposed to illegal immigration, but others said groups like the Minutemen encourage discrimination against all Latinos, even those who are citizens.

Linda Wagar, FOX 4 News