Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Officials agree to delay border plant poisoning

LAREDO, Texas — The U.S. Border Patrol has agreed to delay spraying of herbicide near the Rio Grande until more talks are held with Mexican officials.

U.S. officials say the herbicide imazapyr (i-MAZ'-uh-peer) does not harm people or animals, but Mexican officials want to do their own review.

Officials from the Department of Homeland Security and the bi-national agency that oversees the river met Tuesday to discuss the plan to test the herbicide imazapyr on carrizo (kah-DEE'-zoh) cane.

The towering plants suck up river water and obscure the banks along much of the Rio Grande, making it difficult for agents to see people crossing the river.

Border Patrol spokesman Roque Sariana says the agency would keep negotiating to spray a 1.1-mile test portion in Laredo.

___

Information from:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6340870.html

From what I have read about this plant is that it is rich in biomass and the canes themselves have been used for everything from walking sticks to making flutes. I am sure there are plenty of American entrepreneurs who would take on the challenge of cutting this cane, turning the biomass into fuel and relieve the border patrol of their worries, create green jobs, etc.
    Aerial spraying of any chemical is not a good idea. I really don't want to breathe the stuff, and as with all chemicals, they will end up in rivers and streams by stormwater runoff.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)