Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OH: Immigrant pleads guilty to voter fraud

Immigrant pleads guilty to voter fraud
    Friday, October 5, 2007 12:10 PM
    By Bruce Cadwallader

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Claudel Gilbert, 38, a citizen who moved from Haiti in 1994 with his family, said he had an apartment in Franklin County before he bought a house in Licking County in 2006. He registered to vote in both counties.

Boards of elections in both counties sent him voter verification cards, and Gilbert thought his vote would not count unless he voted twice, said defense attorney Eric Yavitch.

An investigation was launched after the Nov. 7, 2006, election when his name showed up on a statewide database of all those who voted, officials said.

He pleaded guilty to voting in Franklin County, where he does not live anymore, and to voting twice — both felonies. He will be able to vote in Licking County next month.

Gilbert works as a COTA bus driver.

Franklin County Common Pleas Court Judge Richard A. Frye sentenced Gilbert to probation for one year and fined him $500. He suspended a six-month prison sentence.

“He did not have any illegal intent, but instead was trying to protect what he thought were his property rights,â€

Voter fraud? You don't get to vote again, ever. Period.

I really don't care about any other circumstances, no one can convince me that they "thought it was okay" to double dip in the democracy.
    I don't care who you are, how you got here, what color you are, what language/dialect you speak... If you didn't get here legally then you don't belong here. Period.