Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Okla. panel OKs immigration restrictions

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/ ... _Bill.html

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 · Last updated 7:36 p.m. PT

Okla. panel OKs immigration restrictions

By TIM TALLEY
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Legislation billed as the nation's toughest on illegal immigrants was approved by a state House committee Wednesday, as supporters seek to halt public benefits for foreigners without documents.

The House Judiciary and Public Safety Committee voted 14-3 to send the bill to the floor of the Republican-controlled House, where its author, Rep. Randy Terrill, predicted it would pass.

"It indicates it has strong and bipartisan support," Terrill said of the committee vote.

The Oklahoma House in the past has supported illegal-immigration restrictions, but the Senate had been more reluctant when it was under Democratic leadership. However, the Senate is now evenly divided along party lines, although several immigration measures have died there this year. Gov. Brad Henry generally signs bills that has bipartisan support.

The measure would limit state driver's licenses and identity cards to citizens and legal immigrants. It would require state and local agencies to verify the citizenship and immigration status of applicants for state or local benefits. It also would require public employers to confirm the status of new workers with an electronic employment verification system.

The bill would also repeal a 2003 Oklahoma law that made illegal immigrants eligible for state-supported scholarships and allowed them to pay in-state tuition to attend public colleges and universities.

Terrill said illegal immigrants cost state taxpayers $200 million a year in public benefits and services.

The measure was endorsed by the Washington, D.C.-based Immigration Reform Law Institute, which described it as the nation's most meaningful immigration package.

"Mass illegal immigration is having a negative effect on Americans, their communities and their resources," said Joyce Mucci of the Federation for American Immigration Reform.

Religious and immigrant-support groups oppose the bill, saying it would suppress economic development and could lead to vigilantism.

"I believe that this law is harsh," said Mauro Yanez of Oklahoma City and a native of Venezuela. Yanez asked lawmakers to promote education for illegal immigrants instead.

"Education is the only tool that we have to grow in our community," he said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Great news!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have been mostly down and out the last 2 days, tomorrow if I am better, I will spend a lot of my day on the phone with my Okla, Reps, calling for this measure to be passed, yippee Okla! I have been writing and asking for most of these things for a long time now!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    I have been mostly down and out the last 2 days, tomorrow if I am better, I will spend a lot of my day on the phone with my Okla, Reps, calling for this measure to be passed, yippee Okla! I have been writing and asking for most of these things for a long time now!
    hope u feel better soon

Yes, hope you're better real soon nitty!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    Way to go OKLAHOMA!!!

Get well soon Nitty!

Thank you.

Does anyone know anything more about:

It also would require public employers to confirm the status of new workers with an electronic employment verification system.
    If these systems were reliable and companies were required to use them, then employers would, I think, be less likely to say, "I didn't know they were illegal."

I guess the only downside for me, was...

"I believe that this law is harsh," said Mauro Yanez of Oklahoma City and a native of Venezuela. Yanez asked lawmakers to promote education for illegal immigrants instead.
    Educate people here illegally, non citizens, illegal aliens? Educate them to do what? What's the cost for that?

Hope your up to speed soon NittyGritty
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Good job Ok.
    I just might move there!