Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Omaha City Council Ban Two Mexican Rodeo Events

Published Wednesday | December 19, 2007
    Omaha council bans Mexican rodeo events
    BY KAREN SLOAN
    WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Steer tailing and horse tripping are out.

The Omaha City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to ban those two Mexican rodeo events by adding them to the city's definition of animal cruelty.

The Nebraska Humane Society hailed the decision as a victory for animal safety.

"We're very pleased that the City Council decided to step in, especially on a 7-0 vote," said Mark Langan, vice president of field operations at the Humane Society. "Now we have our work cut out for us at the state level."

The Humane Society has been working with State Sen. Abbie Cornett of Bellevue on legislation that would ban horse tripping, and possibly steer tailing, statewide. The bill is expected to be introduced next year.

Armando Pliego, a local charro, or Mexican cowboy, said he was disappointed by the council's decision. Pliego is the treasurer of Charros La Amistad, an Omaha-based rodeo club that has performed in Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas. He said the Mexican rodeos, called charreadas, are important cultural events and are no more dangerous to animals than American rodeo events.

Pliego said charros will continue to perform charreadas, but without horse tripping and steer tailing in the 10-event lineup. The ban eliminates any chance Omaha has of bringing in national charreadas, however, since a national contest will require all 10 events. Charreadas are increasingly popular in the United States, and several have been held in Omaha.

Pliego said he hopes to discuss the matter with Mayor Mike Fahey.

Humane Society officials and a veterinarian testified before the council last week that horse tripping and steer tailing are more dangerous and painful to the animals involved than traditional rodeo events.

In horse tripping, a cowboy on horseback or on the ground tries to lasso the front or back feet of a running horse, tripping it to the ground. The difficult event is a test of the cowboy's rope skills.

Steer tailing is an event in which a cowboy on horseback grabs a running steer's tail, wraps it around his leg or stirrup, and pulls the steer to the ground.

Opponents have said horse tripping can lead to rope burns, lacerations, broken bones and other problems. Steer tailing is very painful and can, in some cases, result in the tail being pulled off, they said.
    If your ILLEGAL...get out of my country...get out of my state...get out of my community...get out of my face!...otherwise, have a nice day!
    http://nebraskaobserver.wordpress.com/

Armando Pliego, a local charro, or Mexican cowboy, said he was disappointed by the council's decision. Pliego is the treasurer of Charros La Amistad, an Omaha-based rodeo club that has performed in Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas. He said the Mexican rodeos, called charreadas, are important cultural events and are no more dangerous to animals than American rodeo events.
    I don't give a damn about your "important cultural events"!! If it's so important to you, then get your butt back to Mexico where you belong!

Americans aren't going to stand by and celebrate the sadistic and cruel practices of Mexican rodeos...which are, by the way, far more cruel than American rodeos!!

In horse tripping, a cowboy on horseback or on the ground tries to lasso the front or back feet of a running horse, tripping it to the ground. The difficult event is a test of the cowboy's rope skills.
    How utterly cruel and senseless.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

I don't give a damn about your "important cultural events"!! If it's so important to you, then get your butt back to Mexico where you belong!
    Tearing the hearts out of human sacrifices was also an important cultural event to the 'vibrant' Mexican culture. It seems they are proud of that heritage since they never denounce the Aztecs or Mayans.
    [b] If we do not insist on Voter ID, how can we stop illegals from voting?

I’m glad to see one state coming to their senses
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

To even hear that moron try to defend horse tripping as not dangerous to the animal, made my hair stand on end.

I'm not able to ride anymore due to a shoulder injury, but having owned and shown horses for a lot of years when I was younger, I know for a fact that a horse tripping and falling is the accident I dreaded most.......and not because I could've been hurt but because of the potential injury to the horse.

How much more cruel does it get than to purposely trip and fall a horse so some Juan Corona with a rope can prove what a big man he is?

Maybe they can just start a new traditional event of roping and tripping each other and leave the horses alone?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hispanic culture seems to be full of so-called sports involving animal cruelity. Cockfighting is another favorite.

"First of all, the so-called War on Terror isn’t a war on terror at all, it’s a war on the Constitution and Bill of Rights; a war on the rights of the American people." ~Lynn Stuter, researcher, analyst
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)