Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

working4change
    Driver's license limits fuel immigration fight

Proof of legal presence would not be needed

Although its chief sponsor said Monday night that it's a matter of public safety, a bill allowing Oregon to issue driver's licenses without proof of legal presence was seen by many as another round in the debate about immigration.

Miguel Vargas, who has two children with autism, said he has no grand reasons for favoring the bill.

He said that once his current license expires — and he cannot show proof of legal presence as required under a 2008 law — he said he will be unable to carry on his family chores.

"I have to drive my kids around for all the appointments for the speech therapy they need," said Vargas, one of numerous people who spoke to a Senate committee. "She takes care of the kids. It would be a big problem for me and my wife if we got pulled over, and it would be a big shock to my kids, if I don't have a license."

Senate Bill 845 would ease a restriction that lawmakers imposed in 2008 at the prodding of the federal government.

"The federal government has failed to give us immigration reform, so we have to do it at a state level," said Francisco Lopez, executive director of CAUSA, Oregon's immigrant rights coalition, at a rally attended by a few hundred people on the Capitol steps.

As happened March 3 on a Senate bill granting in-state tuition rates to students regardless of immigration status, spectators filled several hearing rooms, the first-floor galleria, and areas outside the chambers. The Senate transportation committee heard testimony for two hours, but the deadline has passed for notice of potential action on bills.

Critics say SB 845 amounts to legitimizing immigrants who cannot show they are in the country legally.

"Your duty is not to pass legislation that aids and abets the illegal presence of foreign nationals in our state," said Cynthia Kendoll of Salem, president of Oregonians for Immigration Reform, which is critical of immigration policy. "It is not to pass legislation that helps them establish an identity in our community and create a false sense of legitimacy in our state."

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article ... 90350/1103

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Miguel Vargas, who has two children with autism, said he has no grand reasons for favoring the bill.

He said that once his current license expires — and he cannot show proof of legal presence as required under a 2008 law — he said he will be unable to carry on his family chores.

"I have to drive my kids around for all the appointments for the speech therapy they need," said Vargas, one of numerous people who spoke to a Senate committee. "She takes care of the kids. It would be a big problem for me and my wife if we got pulled over, and it would be a big shock to my kids, if I don't have a license."
    Notice how illlegals are always quick to list the burdens they will have to endure if in fact we enforce our laws, with always that sense of entitlement and matter of fact response.

But I guess being an illegal invader would not be a "big shock" to his kids!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

thats what you get for being illegal in a country YOU WERE NOT INVITED to enter. you broke in and now have to pay the price for it

"We in the Latino community know how to exercise our rights," said Francisco Lopez, director of Causa, which organized the rally. If legislators don't make it easier for undocumented workers to get licenses, "they will face the anger of the Latino voter in 2012," he said.
    Such HUBRIS coming from this scumbag! I wish every American out there could see this. Illegals have no rights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12