Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Oregon Statemen Journal reader express views on immigration

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... S/51020001

Readers share their opinions on President Bush's immigration plan

October 20, 2005

We asked: President Bush signed a homeland security bill Tuesday that includes funding for immigration enforcement. Do you support proposals to overhaul the U.S. immigration system? If so, which one or which combination of proposals? A guest-worker program? Increased enforcement at the U.S.-Mexico border? More funding for the U.S. Border Patrol? Greater penalties for people who hire undocumented workers? Requiring illegal workers to pay fines to eventually qualify for legal residency?

You said: Comments appear here as they were submitted to the Statesman Journal. They are listed in the order in which they came with the most recent at the top.

Some comments without authors' names have been omitted.

The poll was conducted on October 19, 2005

Employer sanctions can be the most efficient and effective means of handling the flood of illegal aliens that is overwhelming our culture and work force. If we would enforce immigration compliance through employers as much as we now enforce income tax law through them, that side of the problem will be nearly solved, and we can move on to re-create a rural economy that does not depend on an endless supply of fresh "slaves". We need the INS to have the money and mandate to do routine inspections of ALL farms and other businesses and we need Oregon to stop giving away drivers licenses as fake ID's.

John Macklin, 45, Biologist, Gresham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those of you who answer ignorantly and in racist terms...do you have the brains to learn a second language? Look who is talking. If you had to pick your own strawberries, lettuce and grapes you would probably starve. And truly how 'unpatriot' of you not to support your president in his guest program...but you supported him in everything else...because it didn't involve brown people...shame on you.

Tina, over 50, writer, salem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

president Bush has been the president for the mexicans more then he has been for the American people, it hasn't been that long ago that our governor signed an extension for unemployment benefits, our government tells us that we need the mexicans to do the work that Americans won't do,witch is a big bunch of BS. Just look at the poles that have been taken, and see what the American citizens think about immigration, especially illegal immigration, does this country run by law or don't we? if immigration law can be broken, then lets break all the laws, if we don't inforce them, then why should we obay any law, there are lots of things I would like to do, but I don't because its the law that I don't. There are claims that say there are twenty million illegal mexicans, or hispanics in this country, and that one million work in agriculture, what the hell is the other nineteen million doing in my country, the figures are out there, all one has to do is read what these lawbreakers are costing the citizens of the USA, its billions upon billions upon billions above what they contribute, check with the hospitals to see why thier going bankrupt. they won't learn our language, they've scewed up thier country, now they want to scew up mine, I say send all the illegals packing.

Wally H, 67, retired, Salem

Guest worker program...great idea. What is wrong with you conservatives...support your president!

Cheryl F, old enough, retired, salem

Increased enforcement at the U.S.-Mexico border. Greater penalites for people who hire criminal imigrants.

Curtiss A. Greer, 68, Retired, Springfield, Oregon

America continues to accept a yearly quota of legal immigrants from around the world; what exceptional rights do the continuing mass of illegal aliens from our southern boarder have over them? Yes: The United States of America should increase enforcement at the U.S.-Mexico border, and adequately fund the U.S. Border Patrol. As far as creating "Greater penalties for people who hire undocumented workers" - we should (again) enforce the penalties (already) in place; those penalties prescribed after Ronald Reagan last granted such an "amnesty" in the 80's. We cannot continue to support the desperate mass of a failed society; we're barely keeping our own afloat!

Viron, -?-, Squire, Gaston

Jose-Are you an idiot? Can't you tell that Rex is being facetious?

Trixie, 27, Topless Dancer, Mill City

Hola. Me llamo Lupita. Estoy muy frustrada con la ciudad de Salem. La gente son muy fea. No entiendo que la gente no le gustan los mexicanos. Siempre trabajamos mucho--mucho mas que toda la gente que escribieron en este "poll." Quien va a plantar las vegetales para usted a comer? Necesitan pensar en que va a occurrir si no hay nosotros. ESTAN MUY FEOS! No voy a quedar en este estado. Voy a moverme a California donde la gente van a respetarme. ADIOS OREGON!

Lupita, 21, ?, Salem

Illegal immigrants ALL should be rounded up and deported. Those who hire them should have their property conficated and serve jail time. High ranking politicians who do not acknowledge the existing laws on the books regarding illegal immigration should be impeached or otherwise removed from office. Special detention centers should be established around the country to accomidate illegal immigrants waiting deportation. Anyone who disagrees with any of the above statements is part of the problem and is an anti American leftist PIG. Have a nice day! -Joe PS Governor tax and gouge can go to hell!

Joe Beyer, 54, Janitor, Portland

Illegals go home!

noydb, noydb, noydb, noydb

According to the news report the ratings of G. Bush have slipped so low and they are going lower everyday. We need to get rid of him and get someone in office what will work for the people. Like all of the other ones who run this Country they are in it for the money and they lie to us to get elected and then they rob us without even using a gun. They call it taxes and we keep paying and paying and the poor get poorer and the rich get richer. The Government lets all of the illegals come to this Country and they beg them to get food stamps, welfare, have more kids, we pay for them, go to the store and see the baskets of food they buy with food stamps and buy budwiser beer with $100.00 bill. The jails are crowded with illegals with INS holds on them, the country is full of drugs and DUI drivers with no insurance, no license, our kids are not getting a decent education, our Government spends too much money printing things in Spanish, neighborhoods are going to hell becasue of the number of people living in the appartments or houses. To get a decent job you need to be bilingual and if they want to be in our Country they should learn our language. If they have to learn our language before they qualify for welfare, food stamps, housing and all of the other things they get then maybe they would learn our language. Our men and women go fight for our freedom and then they come back and the health care they get is not right. They need health care and can't get it unless they travel to one of the Veterans clinics. They go to rehab with the VA and come out worse than they were when they went in. The man and women who fight for our freedoms come back and find the illegals get more than they do. How many of the illegals get social security and have only worked a few weeks, how many of them get food stamps but the ones born here don't qualify as they make too much money on unemployment. We have no jobs but you go into the State offices or to the City offices or call on the phone and it is a person from another Country answering and most of them you can't understand. I have always been told that our Country was the dumping grounds of the world and it sure is getting that way. We the ones who were born here are the minority and we are treated like dirt by the ones who come here illegally. They think we owe them something and I don't owe any one any thing. When our Government won't do anything about the illegals who come here and then they sit and cry about no money to pay for education and other things that we the legal citizens deserve and need. They (illegals) buy cars, not knowing how to drive, not able to read our signs and they get insurance to get the car off of the lot and then they drop the insurance. They get into accidents and the tow the car and they just go buy another one with the money they get from welfare or selling drugs. The gangs have taken over the towns and the prisons are full of gang members and the streets are not safe. They all should be sent back to where they came from and we need to get rid of Bush and all of his rich buddies who are destroying the United States. The Government is run by idiots and if they don't like a law we pass they over turn it. If they steal or use our money for their benefit they get by with it but we would be put in the already over crowded prison system. It took men like George Washington, Abe Lincoln, John Kennedy to make our Country what it is today and all it took was a bunch of rich people to vote for Bush and he is destroying it. What does he care because he is getting rich off of the money the oil companies are making from the high cost of gas and oil. We the tax payers will support him when he is impeached or out of office and he will sit back and claim to of made the United States a better place to live. He will think nothing of the thousands of lives lost in the war or the millions of illegals he let into this Country. I use to say I would not vote becasue I did not think it did any good, then people told me not to complaine if I didn't like something so I started voting but now anything we vote for if they don't like it they over turn it so why vote and for sure I didn't vote for Bush and the best thing for this Country is to impeach him or send him to Mexico to live with Fox and see if they give him what he gives to the illegals that come to this country. See if they learn English for him or if they give him food stamps or welfare or any of the things that we give the people that come here illegally. I love my Country but I hate the thought that George Bush is President of my country. He is taking it down hill real fast just like the illegals are ruining our Country. The Dixie Chicks took a lot of heat over the remark that one of them said but the fact is she said it like it was and George Bush needs to either drop out of office or someone needs to start an impeachment of him and get him out of the office before he ruins the United States worse than it already is. When the illegals can get things the ones born here can't get something is very wrong and if Bush wants them all here let him support them with all of his money that him and his family have.

Mary, old enough, not working, Lake Isabella

Total removal of all illegal immigrants and thier children along with stiff fines for those who employ them.Use our military to seal the borders. The government must act lest this job is taking over by a frustrated citizenry.

John Easley, 70, Boatwright, Gervias

I WONDER HOW RICHARD A. WILL REPORT THE RESULTS OF THIS POLL ? .

DOS ECKES, 27, NA, Klamath Falls

Enforcement of our current immigration laws would be nice, but the problem of illegal immigration, and it is a problem, has been going on for years and will take a thoughtful long term solution to correct. It would also help if we could discuss immigration reform and the effects of illegals living in our community without immediately being portrayed as racists, bigots and hatemongers by the SJ.

Sheli, old, Working, Salem

I think we should have greater penalties for people 2who hire undocumented workers and government agencies who give those undocumented any free government services.

Roger Vasend, 62, Developer, Salem

Enforce tha laws we already have. Deport illegal aliens. Penalize heavily employers who knowingly hire illegal. Make all illegals go home and stand in line along with people from all over the world who would like to come here and are obeying our laws. No amnesty, no way, no how.

Barbara Anderson, 65, retired, Potland

On October 14, 2005 the Statesman Journal printed a story advertising the Support the Minutemen Rally on the Oregon State Capitol steps which took place the following day. The Statesman Journal editors did what any liberal Dan Rather wannabes would have done and intentionally kept it from their news reports. Today is Tuesday and they still have not even mentioned it. This Statesman Journal is part of the problem. Visit and join Oregonians for Immigration Reform. Grass Roots is far more powerful than the media even when it is intent on printing only the news it thinks you NEED to know. - http://www.oregonir.org/new_page_20.htm - []

ClaraB, 35, NA, Salem

a.A guest-worker program is a great start towards accountability of the residents with-in a country.b.border enforcement should have already been implemented.c.penalties don't work.d.fines don't work if the job is done right.

Troy Lee Privatsky, 37, product support/Chemeketa, Salem

The so called Guest Worker program is out of the question, it is just another cover up for amnesty for illegal aliens. Congress, both the Senate and the House need to quit playing games with our nations security and sovereignty and secure our borders with increased enforcement, even by putting our National Guard or Active military on the border to assist the under staffed Border Patrol, to stop the massive invasion by illegal aliens, drug dealers, and terrorists. At the present time or I should say for the past 20 years Congress has openly ignored the illegal alien problem and now it is time to act before there is a national revolution and open agressiveness on the borders by U.S. citizens that are willing to do the Job tha our government has failed miserably at, PROTECTING OUR BORDERS.

Leon E. Donahue, 72, Retired, Tacoma

Hey Rex, the pers money is my money I placed into the account.And the state put money into my account because it was bargained for. A LEGAL BINDING CONTRACT.Its jerks like you that make me sick.We earned our pensions and we were not handed a free lunch that is going on now with the illegals.

Jose, n/a, unemployed, n/a

I just want the current laws to be vigorously and evenly enforced. Illegal aliens should be eligible for no govenment programs, except INS ones. I want the State of Oregon to STOP giving illegal aliens drivers licences. What's wrong with just simply enforcing the Law?

David A. Sanders, 45, Layout Designer, Gladstone

The Presidents proposal is a weak kneed joke of capitulation and Amnesty, which sells Americans short. The only comprehensive overhaul of our broken immigration system is before the US Congress as HR 3333. HR 3333 addresses H1-B abuses, provides for "guest workers" only to an extent necessary to the economy (not whole & extended families) and places appropriately greater penalties on employers of illegals. Also, it provides for border enforcement and deportation of current resident lawbreakers and criminals by curtailing the "catch & release" practice of current law enforcement and the “look the other way� mentality of sanctuary cities. HR 3333 deserves the support of every working class American, whose continued standard of living hangs in the balance of REAL Reform!! Contact your Congressmen and urge them to cosponsor this landmark bill.

C. H. McMillan, 60ish, rancher, Klamath Falls

We don't need to "overhaul" the immigration system, but only enforce the current laws we have. The US-Mexico border should be closed to illegal crossers, and employers hiring illegals should be fined and imprisoned. Illegal aliens should be deported regardless of how long they've been here. Illegal aliens should not be admitted to US schools, and babies born in the US to illegal aliens should be barred from citizenship. Voting and publicly-financed benefits should be limited to citizens alone. The US already has more than 50 "guest worker plans;" we don't need any more.

S. J. Miller, 57, Computer Analyst, Phoenix

The solution is to take the entire PERS fund and put it to work helping struggling Central American immigrants make a life for themself in the USA. Fat Cat PERS recipients should have been saving their own money and should not be counting on PERS to fund their lavish retirements in Palm Springs, Costa del Sol, the Riveria, and Ted's favorite, the local bowling alley. Every immigrant deserves a free education through the PhD level and a reserved spot in medical school that some privileged Anglo kid is now taking up space in. It's only fair! These trained native doctors will return to their homeland and work for pesos in order to thank the Mexican people for their support. No homes in the Salem hills for these guys. It's time for the US to give the Southwest, including California, back to Mexico, and for Mexico to give it back to the Mayans.

Rex Charlemagne , 56, Royalist, Salem

1.The U.S. immigration system needs to be overhauled. 2. I do not support the President's Guest Worker program. 3. Enforcement at the border and in the interior should be increased. 4. Enforcement and penalties should increase for illegal hiring. 5. I do not support proposals or illegals to pay for legal status.

John DeMay, 64, retired, McMinnville

The way i see it is the US spends too much time voting and arguing over Immigrants with out paper work which in my opinon these people should be considered theives. I am by no means a hatefull person, however i am very conserned. My brother was told earlier this year that he may not be able to graduate because he only has one year of a foriegn language. What does the school offer? Spanish, and French. I think the french is for Political Correctness really. I was watching a baby show with my wife the other day and the woman that was having the baby didn't speek a lick of english, they had to call in some one to translate yet this child will be born in the US and now has all the freedoms that his parents take for granted. Further more I pay TAXES every year!!!! I am not ashamed to say that at one point we were under the welfare system so i have sympathy for those that need assistance, what i do not have sympathy for are those that send that money to Mexico to fund for the further importation of Thieves while they do work under the table for farmers, those farmers need to be put in Jail for tax evaision, and i know a few of them. I think border patrol needs to be increased 10 fold, I think employers who choose to hire Thieves are hurting the AMERICAN people by being cheep b@st@rds and not hiring people that need it. I say these things because i fight for the very freedoms these Thieves take for granted, I fight so my brother can graduate school with out having to learn a differant language so that the Thieves can take advantage of our health care. I fight so that my daughter can go to school in a good neighborhood not filled with cholos and vatos. I fight so that the constitution does not have to be rewritten in another language cause well damn the thieve don't know how to read it. I fight for those Immigrants that come to America with Visa's and proper paperwork can have a chance. Im only a concerned american citizen that wants the future of my country to be safe and so that my daughter and her children can still have a fighting chance at life with out looking at the possibility of not getting a job because a thief can do it for cheeper.

U.S. Citizen, 23, U.S. Militray, Salem

It is obvious that a good share of American's are tired of being taken for a ride. If AK's statistics are correct, and I think they are, 84% of Americans are sick and tired of being ignored by their own government. Yes, a healthy economy is important, but if there is no sovereign United Sates left, what good is it?

Jerry K, 50ish, worker, Salem

I think Paul Stelzner hit the nail on the head with his 7 points towards the bottom of these responses. Wonderful ideas Paul!! I'm so sick and tired of these illegals (read: Mexicans) coming here illegally. I don't think I like the idea of work cards, or anything of the sort, but I do think that if any alien wants to immigrate to America they HAVE to take an English proficiency test and pass it with a 75% or higher average. During the last year I've been looking for employment and I can't tell you how many times being bilingual was a mandatory requirement. Lets face it, illegal Mexican immigrants do nothing for the economy, or much else for that matter. They bring the value of the neighborhood down to the point where it's impossible to sell a home. Please tell me what is so hard about parking your vehicle in the driveway as opposed to parking it on the lawn? What is so hard about drinking and partying inside your home as opposed to drinking and partying outside in your front yard while hanging all over your car that is parked on the lawn? I cannot even shop at the Wal-Mart on Lancaster because the Mexicans do not control their children and they wander all over the store unsupervised and filthy. Please, would someone tell me what they contribute to the American society??? Let them come her LEGALLY, but only after going through a stringent immigration process.

Jane Doe, old enough, n/a, Salem/Keizer

I support the quest-worker program, as long as this means that they have to pay taxes like everyone else. Also they must learn our language, and the goverment shouldn't cater to them. Why doesn't the goverment just make them part of the United States?

Carol Bennett, 52, Overpmt Writer/DHS, Salem

1. Greater penalties for hiring illeagle workers. 2. More money for the border patrol. No guest worker program with unemployment at 5.6 % already.

John Englebrecht, 74, retired, McMinnville

I have been keeping a terrible secret for over 21 years. Back in 1984 I pushed for the Indigent Bill, a Bill that would allow the poorest Oregonians the right to health care. I truely believed I was doing the right thing for Oregon. I had no idea whole villages would come to Oregon from Mexico and take advantage of our kindness. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to rectify this mess. Hospitals all over the state have been going in the black for decades because of illegals-- it wasn't supposed to be like that! I've written to every Oregon Governor since 1984, every congressman, Senator, Representative and State Senator to no avail. I will keep trying to right this terrible wrong till the end of my days, but until then, all I can say is-- I'm very, very, sorry!

Ann O., NOYB, Health Care Lobbyist, Sometimes Salem

Illegal immigrants should be deported immediately. No guest work program or amnesty. Monetary penalties & jail time for employers mandatory for this treasonous act of hiring illegals. Close the borders, period!

Seth R Sundin, 63, retired, Gresham

Fine employers who hire illegal immigrants. More border enforcement.

Morgan, 50, legal US citizen, Estacada

We don't need "overhauling" of our immigration laws. Just enforcorcing existing laws would eliminate illegal and uncongrolled "immigrations". Bush, et al (and that includes Clinton) have sold out our country to the corporate pimps of slave labor - when are you people going to wake up to the fact that illegals are nothing more than slaves being brought into this country? It has absolutely NOTHING to do with "humanity" - follow the money you GD fools! Our country is being destroyed by the merchants of "globalism" aka Communism, and PC gone amok. Our middle class is being destroyed and you don't have a clue! "Globalists" and politicians are powerful and filthy rich beyond comprehension - why do you think that is? Are you that stupid that you don't see that you as well as the illegals are useful idiots?

Laila Sullivan, 63, Legal Immigrant, thinking, Lake Osego

Build a WALL & DEPORT them ALL! Do not REWARD BAD behaviour. 1993-1st World Trade Center Bombing-6 DEAD, 1,000 injured. Leader was given AMNESTY (guest worker program)in 1986! The gov't can't do a background check on 18-20 Million people with false identity!What if this paper actually tallied the results, like 90 responses and 89 against any EXCUSES for Gov't NOT doing their job-Per our Constitution! PEOPLE WE HEAR YOU-JOIN US! www.oregonir.org The LARGEST INDENTITY FRAUD case in the HISTORY of Oregon is happening right now, did you read that in this paper? NO?! 8 out of 12 Mexicans admitted guilt to selling 80,000 Licenses and Voter ID cards to Illegal Aliens (many went to the Consulate sale on Saturday)p.s. Why are 16 State Agencies traveling with the Mexican Consualte one/two Saturday's every month and providing "SERVICES" to Illegal Aliens? like: How to Vote, how to get on the OR. Health Plan, how to steal a JOB from an American. They are committing multiple FEDERAL FELONIES, up to 25 yr.s in PRISON for each ILLEGAL ALIEN they help, now over 3,000 in Oregon AND more next year!

Rick H., 43, Educated Activist & V.P., America?

Enforcement, more funding, greater penalities, and you forgot the one of sending all illegals back home, YES

Ron , yes, retired, Portland

The immigration system is broken and desperatly needs repair. A guest worker program that limits an aliens stay in this country ,simular to the old green card system, is what I feel is best for the U.S.The border Patrol certainly needs more funding ,probably a 30%-40% increase.Then start enforceing the laws that all ready exist We need something to change ,I just read that we went down the drain on unemployement again Thanks govenor, for helping illegal aliens but not fellow Americans .

Jim Bouchell, 66, Just Retired, Dallas

No guest-worker program can work without effective border security. In other words any worker coming into the country must legally check in and out. That can't be done without more funding and well trained border agents using the latest in technology and back up from the military. Also, those here illegally must go home and re-enter legally and meet all the requiremnts of the law. Having them pay a fine is ridiculou...nothing can compensate us taxpayers for all the free education and health care given to these lawbreakers. Also, there must be serious sanctions and penalties on employers who hire illegally. What is missing in this whole discussion is that any immigration policy has to be fashioneded in the context of a national population policy. We need a debate on how big we want this country to be and what number of people can we support in view of our natural resources and protecting the enviroment for the sake of our children's future. So far we have denied that we have an overpopulation problem...it's time we woke up.

W.J. Van Ry, 70, Retired , Lincoln City

I am angry and disappointed in our government. Millions of illegal immigrants are flooding across our borders and it is becoming more and more obvious that our federal and state governments not only ignore federal laws, but break them with a disturbing fervor. In order to fully understand the scope and nature of current illegal immigration problems, think of it this way: Just today, 3,000 illegal immigrants will cross the Mexican border and enter the United States. There is limited border security, and therefore getting here is not very difficult. When these immigrants arrive, they have no identification, no right to work, vote, or receive any of the other benefits of citizenship. It is against federal law for them to even be here. It should seem obvious that, if apprehended, these illegals should be sent back across the border. Fortunately for them, however, our government wastes no time hooking them up with driver’s licenses that can be used to obtain fake IDs and provides them with information about how they can find work, buy homes, receive public assistance, get free healthcare, and even how to vote illegally if they choose. So these illegals, now that they have obtained most of the trappings of American citizens, are free to illegally seek employment or illegally receive public assistance. Many of them will take jobs that are considered undesirable or too strenuous. Government officials seem to think that this justifies them being here. But, the fact is, this cliche’ is a job destroying and wage lowering attempt by employers to hold down wages and obtain cheap labor at the expense of the American worker. Many of these workers are paid under the table and so do not pay income taxes or contribute to Social Security. Since many do not pay taxes, American citizens, and documented workers must pay the dramatically increasing costs of public assistance, healthcare, education and law enforcement of all of the workers dependents. And, if all this isn’t enough, Oregon actually has a law that forbids government officials from asking whether or not a person is here illegally. State employees have actually lost their jobs because they attempted to follow federal law by questioning a person’s ID when they were suspicious that they are attempting to commit ID fraud. But, of course, those IDs were supplied by our own state government! Economically, the results of illegal immigration present an unbelievable annual cost. Currently, there are roughly 10-20 million illegal immigrants in this country. In order for our government to financially sustain the healthcare, housing, and education of even a portion of this illegal population, many other worthwhile government programs suffer, particularly education. The State of Oregon spends $375 million annually on the E.L.L. (English Language Learners) program, which is primarily for children of non-citizens. Meanwhile, the state education budget sinks further and further into the red, and other important programs are cut. There are even those in our state government that support in-state tuition breaks for illegal aliens. American jobs have also been severely affected by such massive illegal immigration. Jobs such as picking berries and cannery work, which used to be almost exclusively done by teens, are now done largely by illegal immigrants. Employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens are, just like our government, breaking the law, but are seldom prosecuted. The economy is not the only issue to consider when discussing illegal immigration. The problem is also a matter of public safety. In 2003, the Federal Bureau of Prisons reported that 29% of Federal prisoners were illegals. Because the government doesn’t deport illegals who commit crimes (they say they will simply come back across the border, and prey on America again), prisons across the country are becoming increasingly overcrowded. Unfortunately, to reduce the overcrowding, other dangerous criminals are being released back into society. Why doesn’t the government do something about this growing problem? Is it worth the overall lawlessness and degradation of our society as we know it to have a cheap source of labor? If the government was truly interested in stimulating economic growth, they would be securing our borders before it’s too late. Recent polls have shown that the vast majority of U.S. citizens (about 84%), including legal immigrants from Mexico, China, Russia, and elsewhere, strongly believe that our immigration policies must be revised, our borders must be secured and our federal laws must be enforced. It is up to the legal citizens of our great nation to let our irresponsible government know just how we feel about this problem. Speak up!

AK, 16, student, Salem

It saddens me to see what is happening to our country. We must seal the border with Mexico, and Canada, and then take control of who enters. The lunatic, one world, no borders set would have us believe that we should open our borders, wallets, jails, and neighborhoods to Mexico, because it would be the "nice" thing to do. I know it makes them feel good, and salves their guilt for being wealthy, but I don't think it would be a healthy thing for the world if the U.S. were to be dragged down by the 3rd world. Our standard of living and quality of life is being eroded as we speak.

ck, 51, director, Salem

Increased interior enforcement and enforcement at the U.S.-Mexican border, plus denial of all benefits to illegal aliens, including amnesty. Americans were fooled by IRCA passed in 1986 and we should learn from that lesson

Yeh Ling-Ling, 52, Exec.Director, Oakland

If not now, when will the illegal activities be stopped?

Why us?, Senior, Legal Citizen, Corvallis

The problem of both illegal, and too much legal immigration should be the number one priority for all Americans. Our government will not help us,so we must rally together and demand that this full scale invasion be stopped. Farmers, and other employers looking for cheap labor can rationalize what's going on all day long, but the fact remains that it is wrong. America must get a handle on new immigration, and border security, or risk abandoning our identity. At the current rate, there is no way immigrants can be assimilated into our society, and most of the current Mexican immigrants do not even want to be assimilated.

GK, 20, Student, Salem

We must have increased (absolute) enforcement of the border, and enforce heavy fines for employers who hire illegals. Oregon MUST stop providing services (and driver's licenses) to illegals.

Dave Luck, 59, Small Business Onwer, Lake Oswego

My Father immigrated to this country in 1949 after WWII. The difference is he came in the FRONT Door. Not through the back-door, not through some river. I wholeheardily believe in immigration as long as it is legal. When I moved here to Oregon I was absolutely amazed at the number of Mexicans here "The Wetback kind." Not those that are 2nd,3rd or 4th generation American. I'm so saddend by how much we tolerate these, "CRIMINALS" in our own society. The fact that they are here makes them criminal. I'm also blown away that Oregon doesn't have any means of enforcement, notta none, zip. Why is that? Aren't we in fact breaking the law ourselves by 'Harbouring' criminals if we don't do something about it? They're called Illegals right? Illegal used to mean CRIMINAL!! That should be the premese for any enforcement of this issue...period!!

RED Blooded, Patriot, American, Next Door to YOU.

We need enforcement of our current laws first. The guest worker program is just another amnesty which I appose

JJ Quinlivan, 35, Computer Consultant, Corvallis

The fact is that the mexicans are the #1 threat to Oregon and the U.S. We pay millions of tax dollars for medical care, housing, education for their children, and on and on. They don't speak english, so we must pay extra for spanish speakers at our job sites. They live 5 or more to an apartment, causing unsanitary conditions and parking problems. Just look around any hispanic complex. They drive without licenses or insurance, and believe driving drunk is ok. The mexican gangs are taking over our schools because parenting is something they have not learned. The money they earn is sent back to Mexico, not helping our economy. They come here for a better life, and destroy ours. Yes, if you comitt a crime (illegal immigration), you should be held accountable and deported. Ask our lawmakers how much of our budget is spent on minority education (special schools for mexicans right here in Salem), how many mexicans are incarcerated costing money and space when other criminals could be locked up, traffic accidents and the related costs. The list will be large. They have brought their lifestyle from Mexico to Oregon, and it shows. No, I don't have to like diversity. No, I don't have to accept it. Yes, I want them deported and our laws enforced. I want our local police to be able to ask - Are you an illegal alien? How can that be offensive?

Randy, 47, Law, Salem

I am so tired of Pres. Buish talking about "jobs Americans won't take." There are no jobs Americans won't take if the jobs pay a fair wage and have decent working conditions. You don't have to be a college graduate to understand that wages and working conditions are the main determinants for whether a person applies for any job. What Bush is trying to hide is the fact that he wants to supply his rich employer friends with abundant low-wage, defenseless workers that employers can squeeze dry and then throw away when they don't want them any more. this is outrageous. THERE IS NO NEED FOR IMPORTED LABOR IN THIS COUNTRY. We have millions of U.S. citizens unemployed. The country is dangerously over-populated already with environmental ruin just around the corner. The poll quoted that supposedly showed majority Republican support for Bush's plan is worthless. Tamar Jacoby talks about "our poll" and it is indeed probably hers; she represents the thinking of the Wall St. Journal, that is, of people who care nothing for the history, culture and people of this country; we are just dots on the chart of big business and finance. As to the SJ's role is all this, I'll borrow Joe Guzzardi's phrase: you are an illegal-alien propaganda machine disguised as a newspaper.

Elizabeth Van Staaveren, old enough, retired, McMinnville

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence saw or could find out what an amnesty did under Presdident Reagan, it opened the flood gates for more illegals. Fines for anyone that hires undocumented workes should be confiscatory. In addition (and immediately) we should put the National Guard on the Sourhtern border and have NO amnesty. The only way to get here and get a job should be the leagal way

Roy, yes, RETIRED after 50 years of, Keizer

I do not support President Bush's plan to continue support for illegal immigrants. Oregon taxpayers are footing a large bill for schools and social services driven, in part, by illegal immigration. Without illegal immigration, out schools would be less crowded and Oregonians would be covered by the Oregon Health Plan.

Dave Kruse, 64, Retired, Gladstone

LOVE.

John Doe, 57, Attorney, Salem

My mother spent 3 weeks in Ellis Island to come to the USA. She received a health check. These folks are bring death and disease into our country. They want their OWN culture; how about learning English and joining our culture? Either control the borders or STOP all the free medical, subdized housing and give away programs. Give some "teeth " to the INS and deport ALL illegals regardless of who they are and from where they came.

james, 68, retired, salem

I do not support President Bush's guest-worker program. I support increased enforcement at the US-Mexico border that includes U.S. military personnel. More funding for the Border Patrol, especially for interior enforcement. They need the military to secure the border and then allow the BP to do it's job. Yes greater penalties for employers that hire illegal aliens, but why have we not enforced current law? Illegal workers should not pay a fine, they should be deported, immediately!

Don Miller, 56, construction worker, Newberg

Reduce legal immigration to no more than 150,000 per year. Reduce illegal invasion as much as possible. Menial labor by citizens at a fair wage. Guest worker program drastically reduced. No citizenship to children of illegal invaders. Just fines for corporations that hire invaders. A population policy that encourages 1 or 2 child families and has disincentives for large families. Goal of US population to be under 200 million.

Greg Freer, 54, Engineering, Grants Pass, Oregon

First, boot Bush out of office because he's not doing his job. Second, no guestworker program, no amnesty. No public services for illegal aliens except emergency. Aggressive interior enforcement especially put people who hire illegal aliens in prison.

Lance Sjogren, 52, engineer, San Pedro, Ca.

I would support all of the above

pat martin, 60, rn, eugene, or

Hi, mi nombre es Pedro. Vengo de México. Pienso que es divertido que puedo venir aquÃÂ* y trabajar, y poner a mis cinco niños en buenas escuelas. Escojo coles y las uvas. RÃÂ*o cuando leo los comentarios malos que la gente dice. Hace que desea tener otro niño. ¡Amo las escuelas públicas de Salem!

Pedro, 28, Farmer, America

i think all ilegals turn them selves in to ins,if their doing minium wage jobs no usa citizen are available to do ,they get a 6 month work permit after fingerprinting and verifing identifaction.usa needs more border security and internal enforcement to find ilegals and employers of ilegal workers.

lh mark, 63, retired, salem

Jody L, thanks for the truth. The truth use to mean something before they replaced it with their new truth buzz word diversity.This is why they won't touch the issue of national security. Case of point, lets not check any gentleman from the Middle East because we might offend them .Tell that to the 9-11 victims. Tell that to the Washington DC victims. They would rather check my 80 year old mother at airports. So do you really belive they care about protecting our borders.Or how much they spend on people who are here illegally.This country was founded on core values. Now we have ONE core value that the statesman journal and politicians push and its called DIVERISITY. However, what you need to understand is their difinition of diverisity is "we believe in everything and,therefore in NOTHING".Anything and everything goes except Chrisitan values.

John, 40's, Researcher, Salem

I think the statesman journal should also print the results of this poll in Spanish and I believe the poll results should be printed in the newspaper. But guess what, they won't because they are to busy bashing retirees who EARNED their pensions.Retirees did not get free handouts!The other reason the statesman journal won't print this poll in the newspaper because it is not political correct. JODY L , you are on to something and I would recommend everyone read your opinion.Political Correctness is not only bankrupting our country it is a NATIONAL SAFETY AND SECURITY ISSUE.But the statesman journal would rather go after widows pension money.And the Governor is to busy entertaining formal Governors ( Neil G) and Supreme Court Justices and his fat cat big business partners.Jody L why don't you get your information out on a blog where the real news and facts are getting out. Not this mickey mouse whimpy newspaper who doesn't have the guts to print truth.They just want to push their lifestyles.

Mary, 40's, traveling journalist, Salem

I have talked to illegal aliens from Mexico, and their attitude is unbelievable. They believe that whatever they do is OK since they are "Only coming here for a better life". They feel that we need them, that we owe them, that America should, and will, become Mexican. It is scary. We can all fight this invasion by writing and phoning Congress, the President, our, and I use the term loosely, governor, and anyone else that needs to hear the message.

me, 45, working, Salem

Jody L, you are right on the money and I hope everyone reads your opinion.The only thing I would add is the statesman journal didn't cover the story because they are to busy BASHING state workers and state retirees who EARNED THEIR PENSIONS.And then they have the gull to print half truths and write articles that are not facts and the stories have their bias headlines and their political correctness CRAP.

Dan, n/a, retired, Salem

Send all illegals home. Give all illegals 6 weeks to close up their affairs and go home. No more funding, schooling, food stamps, nothing. Those still not gone after 6 weeks, will be rounded up and sent home. No amnesty. If they don't like it where they came from, then they need to change it, not sneak into the US and get on welfare, govt subsidized housing, etc... It is a sad society that has to rely on illegal workers to make it. We have so many able-bodied citizens without work, once the illegals are gone, those citizens have a choice: work or go hungry. I bet they will work.

karen, 53, counselor, salem

Sometimes the Statesman Journal likes to reprint articles in SPANISH for their less educated readers. I sure hope they do like wise with these poll results.

Maximillio Silerio Esparza , 43, Felon - Oregon State Pen, Mexico City

I've heard the term "melting pot" used to describe our country ,and past immigration. The United States has been a great melting pot over the years, and shaped itself into a society, and culture. The immigrants invading our southern border right now are not looking, for the most part, to become part of a great melting pot. They are simply invading and occupying our country. Taking what they can get, and sending it back to Mexico. They expect us to change to adapt to their culture, language, and lawless behavior. We need to recognize the problem, and do something to fix it before it is too late.

j, 50, worker, Salem

WOW, There are alot of people that feel the same way i wish this could get sent to Bush! It may open up his eyes well maybe not but it would be worth the try. I fell like people that come here just to use what that can and then leave should be shot. I cant even get crap heath care because i make 40$ over what thay alow and people from mexico can get it even if thay make $400. over the amount wow to the state we are nothing and i'm going to put my 2 cents in with ted to do something here.

Renee, 28, Nunya, Oregon

Please do not perpetuate the notion that there were indigenous people in the Americas for a long time. Just because someone came to a place 14,000 years ago does not mean that they own that continent forever. If that were the case, as a direct descendant (DNA analysis) of the Cro-Magnons who peopled Europe 35,000 years ago, I am an owner of that continent. Absurd? So is the notion that our Native Americans are some sort of separate nation inside the US. Conquest is prevelent in every age, in every society. The strong take from the weak and absorb their culture. Indian people, as well as natives on the African continent, took slaves, killed and conquered the weaker tribes. That's history. Let's not put a pink bow on the savage nature of all humanity and try to make things look pretty.

Thomas Paine, 56, Pampheteer, Salem

My parents came to this country legally when I was 5 years old. The year was 1924, the place was Chicago. I remember walking with my mother into a bakery shop. I asked her a question in German. She slapped my face hard and said, "We no longer speak German, we are Americans now-- we speak English!" And that was that. My parents went on to be successful upper middle class hard working people. I went on to college and did very well for myself. My children did well also, but not so for many of my grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Some are addicted to alcohol and drugs. Some dropped out of high school and became teen parents. Life is hard for them, but I wonder if it isn't because of the mass migration of uneducated, violent, drug affected, drug pushing short people from the south. It's not the color of their skin that alarms people, it is their behavior, their culture, their selfishness. Asians and blacks have found their niche in society and are thriving, Mexicans are not.

Hilka Peterson, 86, Retired, SW Portland

The American Indians were once engaged in this very discussion. What to do with white Europeans who are coming here in nearly endless quantity. Some argued support as Leah the intern while others tried to say that our culture and language we have fought so hard for, shed blood for and sent our young to their deaths for is about to vanish. The Leah camp argued that the whites are just coming here for a better life and that there is no place in Indian culture for Xenophobia regardless of ones color or origin, after all they will meld into our culture, learn our language and soon become like us. In the end, Leah through heart felt sincerity convinced the Indian elders to forget their old ways and bring about a new era in the new nation of the Americas. History was written. Today I plan to make a short trip down to Spirit Mountain to donate some change to the last remaining elements of their once proud people that decided to listen to Leah and traded tolerance and liberal acceptance for the future of their progeny.

John, 53, NA, Salem

If other countries citizens want to be in America; like Mexico and other small surrounding countries. Why don't they rebel and petition the US to become part of America? They already enjoy our taxes and other benefits.

Tim, 44, Coordinator, Salem

I support an overhaul of the U.S. immigration system. It is completely disfunctional. We have between 10 to 20 million illegal aliens in our country. Illegal immigration is having a terrible impacts on public education, our health care, the criminal justice system, wages and jobs, the rule of law, livability and eventually on our natural environment. We need increased enforcement at our borders, more funding for the Border Patrol, greater penalties for companies that hire illegal aliens and legal action against state officals who aid and abet illegal immigration.

Jim Ludwick, 65, retired, McMinnville

STATESMAN JOURNAL FORGOT TO PRINT !!!!!! Minuteman Rally Salem Oregon Saturday October 15, 2005 was a great day for all Oregonians, when over 150 citizens came together in the rain at the capitol. The event was organized by Oregonians for Immigration Reform; www.oregonir.org to honor “The Minutemen� organization and three Oregon Minutemen, Mike Forest, Bob Rathgeber (who is making his second trip to the border) and myself, Michael Armstrong. www.minutemanhq.com. Present at the event were the following citizen patriots. Jim Ludwick and Rick Hickey, Oregonians for Immigration Reform, radio talk show hosts Victoria Taft, KPAM, 860 AM http://victoriataftkpam.blogspot.com/ and Richard Sturm, KPNW 1120 AM. Bloggers Danile and Victoria of http://danielisright.blogspot.com/, Nick “The Cheezer� http://thecheezer.blogspot.com/ http://allenofsalem.blogspot.com/ Cherrill Clifford, Oregon Conservative http://or-con.org/ Teri Macduff, John Hill www.citizencaucus.org and hundreds of patriotic citizens. If you missed this very important and critical rally, as did all the print media and Television. Guess that is why the majority of citizens turn to radio talk shows and blogs for the unfiltered truth. One has to wonder why several hundred citizens protesting on the state capitol steps, wouldn’t draw one. Put four counter culture protesters on the same steps, advocating less fish be eaten on Friday and the media turns out in droves. A fine display of peaceful citizen activism took place this day, there only demand that our state and federal government do something absolutely unthinkable, enforce our immigration laws and stop pandering to illegal aliens. Unlawful entry is a crime, providing jobs to illegal aliens is a crime, helping illegal aliens obtain drivers licenses, registering them to vote, providing tax payer funded benefits is a crime. All in attendance at the rally gets it, why don’t Governor Kulongoski, Bill Bradbury, Lorna Youngs, Hardy Myers and all but a handful of legislators get it? We are talking about the excessive burdens upon our state budget, crimes committed against citizens by illegal aliens, highly contagious disease carried in by medically unscreened illegal aliens T.B. Leprosy, Aids and spread by them in our communities and schools, the erosion of our culture, loss of sovereignty as a nation and the absence of the rule of law, the loss of our language and cheapening of the rights derived from citizenship. Our courageous state government couldn’t even pass out of committee House Bill 2583 (Proof of Citizenship in order to vote) and House Bill 2947 (Proof of citizenship to get a drivers license) evidently two highly controversial to pass, by this brave legislature. Folks look soon for “The Oregon Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act� being worked on by leaders from the rally, who will be bringing this to you soon for your help and support. God Bless all who attended the Minuteman rally and remember "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams, Statesman, Founding Father

JodyL, 19, Student, Bend

Americans concerned about racial harmony and our national unity should heed the following: last December, the Mexican government published a guide advising illegal Mexican nationals on how to cross the U.S. border safely. In 2001, Ernesto Ruffo Appel, then-border czar of Mexico, reportedly told would-be illegal Mexican migrants, "If the border patrol agent finds you, try again." In 1997, Ernest Zedillo, then-President of Mexico, said in Chicago, "I have proudly affirmed that the Mexican nation extends beyond the territory enclosed by its borders and that Mexican migrants are an important, a very important, part of it." Mexico has been pushing for benefits and amnesty for millions of illegal aliens. Those amnestied aliens, once naturalized, could vote in U.S. elections. Children born here of illegal aliens and guest workers are also U.S. citizens and future voters. Also, in 1999, Norman Bernstein, principal of a school in San Fernando Valley, Calif., told the Los Angeles Times that he was beaten unconscious by two men, at least one of them a Latino. He said that those men said to him, "We don't want you here any more, principal. Do you understand that, white principal?" Recently, Latino students reportedly told Black American students in a Los Angeles high school to "go back to Africa." Is Mexico using migration to extend the Mexican nation? Yeh Ling-Ling Executive Director Diversity Alliance for a Sustainable America http://www.diversityalliance.org/

Melanie, 43, NA, Salem

NO WAY JOSE

Rubin, 50, NA, Salem

Wal-Mart temporarily halted construction of a Supercenter and Sam's Club in Bismarck, North Dakota, a day after two illegal immigrants working on the projects were charged with molesting two 13-year-old girls. A Wal-Mart spokesman says work was halted for several hours on Tuesday, but resumed later in the day after authorities checked workers' documentation. He says the two illegal workers appeared to be employed by a subcontractor hired by the project's main contractor, Weis Builders of Minneapolis. A woman who answered the telephone at Weis Builders hung up on an Associated Press reporter seeking comment. Twenty-one-year-old Julio Alvarez and 30-year-old Carlos Martinez are charged with gross sexual imposition in a North Dakota district court. Both are Mexican nationals. They are being held without bond. (Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

TracyM, 20, Student, Salem

Al Qaida members, and central American immigrants, are here to do jobs no American wants to do such as terrorism, drug sales, etc. Americans no longer want to frame houses and do electrical, plumbing and concrete work. We want to work at McDonalds, the state of Oregon, and Wal-Mart. Those are big wage and benefit employers who would never think of exploiting their workers or lie, cheat and steal to/from them! We should put an ecumenical team at the border waving white flags of surrender. George and Ted could be down there along with Vincente linking arms and doing a chorus line Rockette kick as they do everything they can to hold down wages in the USA. Dropping the standard of living to third world levels is the goal.

Tom Swift, Salem, Inventor, 56

I favor documented guest worker program, more funding & increased enforcement at border. Greater penalties for hiring undocumented workers. No fines for illegal workers-ship them back across border! Millions would be here from Africa, Asia, etc. if they could walk here too! Why should Mexicans get special consideration? Everyone in this country should be here legally. Tourists, people with visas for school or work, etc. Eight to ten million undocumented people in our country is ridiculous. How many other countries allow this sort of nonsense?

James Faulkner, 71, Retired, Salem

I think Leah has rose colored glasses on. Yes we are descendants of immigrants, but do you know what the difference is???? Our ancestors worked to integrate themselves and be Americans, many illegals do not. They dont benefit the US, they send the money home for their relatives and for the benefit of Vincente Fox. This country has changed, we cannot be as 'accepting' as we currently are. As for the farmers who employ the illegals, punish them too. Some of us are lazy yes, I however am not, and I will not accept the way illegal immigration is handled. If you want to be here, do it LEGALLY.

M, oldenough, work, oregon

We should give illegals the same treatment the corrupt Mexican police give American tourists who dare to make eye contact with the police, or refuse to pay them for phoney charges. Put our new unlawful guests in a cold prison at the base of a mountain with open air barred windows. Make them sleep on a cement slab with only one blanket and make them eat water and bread everyday. Put the men and women together, and if the women want a roof over their head, they have to sleep with one of the men who has a roof. If the tax payers complain too much about wasting money on all these subhumans, then ship all the illegals off to Canada, France, China, Cuba or Haiti. The Mexican government is bankrupt, the Mexican people are morally bankrupt, and they will bankrupt us if we don't do something in the next few years!

Stewart, 65, Retired just in time, Salem

I can not believe the level of hatred and racism the people responding to this development are expressing. America is a “melting pot� and most of us are descendents of immigrants. This is the land of opportunity and we should be willing to reach out and help those in need. None of us know the situations the immigrants are facing in their home country. I do know that the conditions must be awful if they are willing to cross the desert and risk their life. We have become lazy and cheap and are dependent on those who are willing to work
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Limits of Republican Partisanship Kilgore immigration

http://www.opinioneditorials.com/guestc ... 51020.html

October 20, 2005

The Limits of Republican Partisanship
    James Atticus Bowden

The Limits of Republican Partisanship

What a difference a year makes in politics. Last year when I worked the Republican booth at our Tidewater town’s Seafood Festival, there was a steady rush of people asking for Bush bumper stickers and signs. There was an enthusiasm and purpose among the crush of the crowd that smiled and grabbed our little stickers. That sample of 80,000 Virginians visiting our little town of 12,000 through one weekend told me that President Bush would win big in Virginia. It’s a different story this year.

A few people asked for the giveaways. The reflexive Republicans would accept a sticker for our gubernatorial candidate with a word about their Republicanness. Many more people were interested in helping our local House of Delegates Representative (represents 70,000 Virginians), who is known for fighting tax increases. A number of folks I knew, and a few I didn’t, took the time to stop and fuss at me about the Governor’s race. Some of these voters shook their heads about the National Republicans. What caused this difference?

Nothing changed in the hopes, dreams, and values of The People. Nothing. But, many conservative and libertarian leaning Republicans have reached the limits of their partisanship. The waters of their well of trust are run out. This is the part of the base that’s there every election to vote for ideas. Like lower taxes and less government spending. Like protecting our Nation by securing borders at home and fighting Islamists overseas. Like ending Judicial tyranny. Like traditional values of life, liberty and property. This reading, listening, observing pillar of the Republican Party is out of ‘trust me’ IOUs for elected officials at every level.

The state and local level issues will be missed by many pundits when they try to make something of the only two off-year elections. The thin Republican victory in Virginia and close Republican loss – I predict – in New Jersey will be spun for more than it is and less than it portends.

I can speak to politics from my home in Virginia where the two most Liberal Democrats in history are running for Governor and Lieutenant Governor. Yet, they won’t lose by the 6 to 8 per cent that reflects the conservative nature of the Old Dominion. The Republican leadership supports incumbent protection. Even for the RINOs who helped the Democrats pass the largest tax hike in Virginia’s history. That is the biggest rub of many political strokes going against the fur and feathers of the Republican faithful.

The politics of power demand obedience. The politics of principles invoke passion. Republican Jerry Kilgore may ride two social wedge issues, capital punishment and illegal immigration, to victory. The size of his win, barring unforeseen actions by the Democrat and apostate Republican-turned Independent candidates, will measure one moment of the declining limits of pure Republican partisanship.

The issue isn’t the issues. The majority of the Republican Party in Virginia is with the majority of Virginians for a long list of issues. Individual voters, or Republicans for that matter, may not agree on all the issues. Yet, a significant majority is formed by having enough voters who agree more often, or more strongly, than they disagree. The majority is made by partisanship being in touch with The People.

The Republicans I hear from haven’t lost heart in the War against Islamists. They have issues with how the War in Iraq was sold, waged and how it can be won. So, there is no backlash against President Bush. At the same time, no more credit is being extended on trust. Yet, the Virginia election isn’t about Harriet Miers’ stealth nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court either. The election is about Republican voter party loyalty to a party with too many weakly partisan, elected politicians.

Some Republican activists have asked me if it’s time to look to another political party. My answer is, “Not yet.� I add that I’ve reached the limits of my Republican partisanship. Today, I support my Delegate and the state-wide candidates. I’ve worked for them in labor, cash, and writing. Tomorrow, is another story.

Just before I worked the Republican booth, I’d finished William McNeill’s masterwork history, “The Rise of the West�. It made me think about the many costumed identities of American Civilization that paraded by. It wasn’t the “Triumph of Will�. It was much better - what we refer in our Virginia Constitution as The Good People of Virginia. Most Virginians understand family, faith and freedom. Those values are the limit of Republican partisanship.

###

James Atticus Bowden has specialized in inter-disciplinary long range 'futures' studies for over a decade. He is employed by a Defense Department contractor. He is a retired United States Army Infantry Officer. He is a 1972 graduate of the United States Military Academy and earned graduate degrees from Harvard University and Columbia University. He holds two elected Republican Party offices in Virginia.

jatticus@aol.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)