Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Organizations urge Boehner not to vote contempt against AG

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Organizations urge Boehner not to vote contempt against AG

Organizations urge Boehner not to vote contempt against AG

By Terry Frieden, CNN Justice Producer
    updated 4:14 PM EDT, Tue May 29, 2012

(CNN) -- With the threat of a contempt charge hanging over Attorney General Eric Holder, 14 civil rights, labor, and liberal activist groups Tuesday urged Speaker of the House John Boehner not to proceed to a contempt vote.

The organizations which are closely allied with the Obama administration charged that to hold the attorney general in contempt for failing to turn over demanded documents on the "fast and furious" investigation "seems to be a rush to judgment intended to create a stain on the office of the attorney general."

The two-page letter, written by the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights repeats the claims made by the Justice Department in refusing to provide sensitive internal law enforcement documents. The organizations said Holder has already turned over the disputed documents to the inspector general for his ongoing investigation into the flawed gun-smuggling operation. "They reportedly include law enforcement information, grand jury transcripts, and other information that would compromise ongoing investigations and prosecutions," the letter said.

House Republicans have repeatedly threatened to vote a contempt citation against Holder for failing to adequately respond to a subpoena issued last October.

The Justice Department has acknowledged the operation was flawed and the ATF should not have allowed illegally purchased weapons to "walk" across the Mexican border to drug cartels.

No date has been set for the committee to vote on a contempt charge, which would need to precede a vote by the full House.
    House Republican leaders had no immediate comment on the letter sent to Boehner.
    Organizations urge Boehner not to vote contempt against AG - CNN.com

About The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights & The Leadership Conference Education Fund
    The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is a coalition charged by its diverse membership of more than 200 national organizations to promote and protect the civil and human rights of all persons in the United States. Through advocacy and outreach to targeted constituencies, The Leadership Conference works toward the goal of a more open and just society – an America as good as its ideals.

The Leadership Conference is a 501(c)(4) organization that engages in legislative advocacy. It was founded in 1950 and has coordinated national lobbying efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957.
    The Leadership Conference Education Fund builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect the civil and human rights of all persons in the United States. The Education Fund's campaigns empower and mobilize advocates around the country to push for progressive change in the United States.
    The Education Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization and contributions are tax-deductible. It was founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference.
    More About Us

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Most of these are illegal immigration invasion supporting groups! We need to warn ALIPAC's national network about their effort to counter our work persuading Congress to act!

Preparing an alert for our 40k supporters now.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Republicans Backing Off Holder Contempt Charges, Exemplifies Systemic RINO Problem

M Catharine Evans

Republicans in Congress better wake up and start freezing some of their own targets against the left if they hope to see a GOP victory in November. The level of corruption, from murdered federal agents to looting taxpayer monies got green companies like Solyndra to the war on religion should be enough to have our elected representatives up in arms.
    Yet, there are still legislators who remain squeamish in the face of our constitutional republic's impending demise.

Sarah Palin got it right on Monday while on Fox News' "Hannity."

"This phony, hypocritical, one-sided call for a cease-fire by the left and their lapdogs in the media. These leftists politicians saying 'that's going to be off the table, that's going to be off the table...And then for the Republican operatives who are high-paid consultants to candidates agreeing to take things off the table - that's no battle plan for victory on our side - on the common-sense constitutionalist side. It's ridiculous."
    These Republican operatives, Palin maintained, "seem to have the fighting instinct of Mr. Snuffleupagus[.]"
    Think Palin is off the mark?

An AP reporter at The Hill is now reporting certain Republican congressmen on Issa's House Oversight committee are "wary of going forward" in citing Attorney General Eric Holder with contempt for his part in Fast and Furious. If true, the first Snuffleupagus awards should go to the following:

Not committed

• Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) - plans to hold off making his decision until afinal draft is put forward
    • Rep. Frank Guinta (R-N.H.) - nocomment

Did not respond

• Rep. Todd Platts (R-Pa.)
    • Rep. Mike Turner (R-Ohio)
    • Rep. Connie Mack (R-Fla.)
    • Rep. Tim Walberg (R-Mich.)
    • Rep. Patrick Meehan (R-Pa.)

Mike Vanderboegh of Sipseystreet has
    issued Speaker John Boehner a challenge to disprove the AP story as a disinformation campaign by the Obama administration. One of Vanderboegh's inside sources flatly states the GOP congressmen are scared of Holder's race card, but not afraid of a firestorm of criticism from the conservative blogosphere if the measure fails to get enough votes.

Politico is reporting committee Republicans have moved the deadline for Holder to turn over missing documents from Memorial Day to mid-June. Sounds like Vanderboegh's source is dead on.
    In contrast to the cowering RINOS on the Hill there was one act of courage this week.

A high school junior
    in North Carolina stood up for the First Amendment and didn't back down against a leftist Obama-obsessed teacher.

How far off the track have legislators gotten when a teenager shows more cojones than House Oversight officials?

Read more M. Catharine Evans at Potter Williams Report

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

RELATED ALIPAC OPERATION GUNRUNNER News ..

OPERATION GUNRUNNER Information Collection Point

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Boehner's challenge from Mike Vanderboegh, Sipsey Street:

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

THE CRISIS OF LEGITIMACY: Boehner said to be blocking Issa committee vote on contempt. His defenders claim Democrat disinformation. If not, it will be time to take the fight to Boehner, the GOP leadership & even Romney.
    Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) might not have the votes in his own committee to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress.
    A number of Republicans on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee are wary of moving forward with Issa’s proposed measure, putting the powerful chairman in an awkward position as he attempts to build support for the move. . .
    Two of the committee’s 23 Republicans have declined to support the measure at this point, while five other GOP panel members did not respond to repeated requests for comment over the last two weeks.
    When compared with the 16 Republicans on the committee who have actively been speaking in favor of the measure, the silence, lack of outspoken support and desire by these eight GOP caucus members to avoid the issue could be a problem for Issa.
    Republican leadership has been hesitant and reluctant to voice its support for Issa’s move, possibly owing to the chairman’s inability to guarantee the measure’s passage in his own committee. . .
    Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) plans to hold off making a decision on whether he will support the measure until Issa puts forward a final version of the resolution and formally introduces it, his office told The Hill. Rep. Frank Guinta’s (R-N.H.) office said the lawmaker declined to comment on whether he supports Issa’s measure.
    Reps. Todd Platts (R-Pa.), Mike Turner (R-Ohio), Connie Mack (R-Fla.), Tim Walberg (R-Mich.) and Patrick Meehan (R-Pa.) have not responded to repeated requests for comment over the past two weeks.

I received this little bit of news this morning while I was in the ER yet again. I made some calls from there. What I learned made me livid. One source I trust implicitly says that the story is correct.

"They (the GOP leadership) don't think that they will suffer for failure to follow through. They're scared of Holder's race card. . . they're scared of Trayvon. They think if they let Issa fail, that it will only be a story in the blogosphere for a day . . . that they can weather it. . . . They exert pressure behind the scenes on those weak-kneed bastards (GOP congressmen), promise them shit and when the vote happens it will only look like Issa's case was weak. . . It will be his fault, not theirs."

Another source close to the committee claims that the entire story is disinformation planted by the White House "to get the GOP fighting each other and blame Boehner for it." I explained to several people I talked to just how this story would play on the street among people who are already upset at the glacially slow pace.

"Don't they understand that this is the final crisis of their own legitimacy?" I fairly screamed into the phone at one. "Don't they understand how poorly some are going to react?" I added, "You know there's a whole lot of folks who have lost all faith in the system, people who don't listen to me about restraint and letting the system work. Doesn't Boehner understand that this is his last f--king chance to prove his oath means anything to him before people start acting on that? Does he really think this will have no consequences for him?"

I sent word that I wanted to hear from someone at the Committee directly, to give them the opportunity to convince me that despite the evidence this really was disinformation. It is evening. I haven't heard a word.

I promised this to one source and told him to spread it around: "If I have to put my sorry, cancer ridden, half-dead ass on the line and break the sedition laws of the United States by calling for targeted civil disobedience, vandalism and monkey wrenching on these GOP traitors to their oaths, then I will do it.

. . What have I got to lose? If Boehner wishes us to believe that he is NOT dragging his feet then let him issue a press release tomorrow denying the AP story." I pointed out that I have a certain history of pushing the sedition laws and that the press -- who they seem entirely eager to avoid -- could not fail to cover the first broken window, or the second or third. Rachel Madcow would be all over the story. Let them contemplate that and its effect on the Romney campaign.

The sources defending Boehner who claim disinformation begged for me to wait until the Tuesday after Memorial Day when Holder's deadline is up. In the meantime, anybody who lives in the congressional districts of these weak sisters that Boehner seems to pressuring needs to get hold of them by email, fax, phone or shouting in his face and tell them what you think of their being Obama's patsies.

I am sending this out on my own email list. I urge all of you to do the same. This is the final crisis of the search for justice in the Gunwalker scandal. If they get away with this, we have lost. I will have more as events unfold.

Dutchman6
    Sipsey Street Irregulars: THE CRISIS OF LEGITIMACY: Boehner said to be blocking Issa committee vote on contempt. His defenders claim Democrat disinformation. If not, it will be time to take the fight to Boehner, the GOP leadership & even Romney.

Attempt to Cite Attorney General Eric Holder for Contempt Seems to Be a Rush to Judgment

Advocacy Letter - 05/29/12
    Source: The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
    Recipient: Speaker John Boehner

The Honorable John Boehner
    Speaker of the House
    U. S. House of Representatives
    Washington, DC 20515

Dear Speaker Boehner:

On behalf of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and the undersigned organizations, we write in response to a May 21, 2012 report in Politico that the House of Representatives will vote to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress if he fails to provide additional information related to the “Fast and Furious” program. We are deeply troubled by the prospect that the Attorney General will be cited for contempt by the House, and believe that such action is unwarranted. We urge you to reconsider that decision.

While we believe that a review of the Fast and Furious program is a legitimate exercise of congressional authority, we are concerned that the tenor and approach you are reportedly taking does a disservice to Congress, the Attorney General’s office, and the public, and may also be a partisan attempt to discredit the Attorney General.

The Attorney General has acknowledged problems and flaws in the Fast and Furious program. According to reports, the Attorney General and the Department of Justice have submitted more than 7000 pages of document to Congress, and the Attorney General has appeared before Congress on this issue a reported seven times. The Department has also reportedly made several senior officials available for testimony, interviews, and briefings.

In addition, the Attorney General has ordered the Inspector General to investigate and has provided him with tens of thousands of additional documents—documents that would be inappropriate to turn over to Congress, because they reportedly include law enforcement information, grand jury transcripts, and other information that would compromise ongoing investigations and prosecutions.

To put it simply, the attempt to cite General Holder for contempt seems to be a rush to judgment intended to create a stain on the office of the Attorney General.

It is contributing to an environment of accusatory vitriol and malignant suspicion that is both unwarranted and a significant distraction at a time when the Attorney General needs to focus on the nation’s core problems. The harshness of the attacks themselves is misplaced, and to the extent these attacks are intended to divert the Attorney General from the vigorous enforcement of the nation's laws—including those protecting civil rights, voting rights, disability rights, and other core concerns—we are deeply troubled. We are concerned that the contempt threat is intended to create a hostile environment aimed at pressuring the Attorney General to resign. This development is particularly disturbing because of the exemplary job the Attorney General has done in enforcing the nation’s civil rights laws.

The constituencies that we represent are eager to see our leaders focus on job creation, the continued reinvigoration of our economy, and the rooting out of waste, fraud and abuse. We urge you to reconsider this course of action. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

African American Ministers in Action
    The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee
    AFSCME
    Asian American Justice Center, member of Asian American Center for Advancing Justice
    The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
    NAACP
    National Association of Human Rights Workers
    National Association of Social Workers National Center for Transgender Equality National Partnership for Women and Families National Fair Housing Alliance
    National Urban League
    People For the American Way
    Women in Federal Law Enforcement Foundation

Cc: The Honorable Eric Cantor
    The Honorable Darrell Issa
    The Honorable Elijah Cummings

Attempt to Cite Attorney General Eric Holder for Contempt Seems to Be a Rush to Judgment - The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights

Voting Rights? or only SOME voting rights? Why were the New Black Panthers allowed to intimidate voters? Why is Holder blocking Voter ID in states with large illegal populations while the DHS re-writes the rules to keep them from being deported.

We have gotten any "change" we have gotten "more", corrupt politicians and bureaucrats . JMO

It appears the Baptists are firmly behind Holder and Obama. From the above list of organizations NOT wanting Boehner to hold Eric Holder in contempt of Congress over F&F:

• American Baptist Home Mission Societies, American Baptist Churches USA
    • Progressive National Baptist Convention (PNBC)

When will the Southern Baptist Convention officially endorse Obama?

I don't know that all Baptists support Obama and Holder on this issue.

More on the two mentioned.

American Baptist Home Mission Societies, American Baptist Churches USA

As part of American Baptist Churches USA, American Baptist Home Mission Societies (ABHMS) answers God’s call to live out Christian faith and transform individuals, congregations and communities through developing Christ-centered leaders, networks and programs committed to witness and evangelism, social justice, discipleship and mission work across the United States and Puerto Rico.

Missionaries of all types―pastors and lay leaders; chaplains and pastoral counselors; refugee sponsors; directors of neighborhood action program Christian centers; volunteers; Sunday school teachers; and new church planters―partner with ABHMS daily to minister to those in need emotionally, physically, financially and spiritually. These mission partners are on the front lines of faith, bringing God’s love to those who need it most: families struggling with poverty, senior citizens suffering with illness and loneliness, children and youth flailing without guidance, former prisoners trying to re-enter society; and immigrants and refugees striving to fit into a new culture, to name a few.

The work of ABHMS reaches from Alabama to Alaska, Pennsylvania to Puerto Rico, and so much further—to the deepest parts of the human heart. You’ll find our story on the pages of this website. Please take time to visit and learn about our ministries.
    About Us Test
    The Progressive National Baptist Convention, Incorporated (PNBC)
    is a convention of African-American Baptists emphasizing civil rights and social justice. The convention was formed at Cincinnati, Ohio in 1961, in a separation from the older National Baptist Convention, U.S.A., Inc. (NBCUSA). After the 1954 Supreme Court ruling concerning desegregation of public schools, the NBCUSA followed a policy of official detachment from the Civil Rights Movement. The desire of some members for the Convention's full support of the movement was a focus of discontent. Other disagreements concerned the election of officers and the length of the Convention president's term. The old Convention was unwilling to enforce the tenure of officers, and it did not fully support the program and methods of Martin Luther King, Jr. and others in the Civil Rights Movement. The proposal to limit tenure was also related to civil rights issues, as King supported the removal of the president, Joseph H. Jackson. King's support for and nomination of Gardner Taylor as president of the NBCUSA was defeated at the 1961 Convention, leading to the call for the formation of a new convention.
    Progressive National Baptist Convention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The leaders of these oganizations might want this, but ask the memebers. And what RUSH. How long has this been going on? .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast