Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Outlaws in the U.S., Strangers at Home

33 comments so far at the source link.
    ~~~

Outlaws in the U.S., Strangers at Home
    Downturn Strands Illegal Latino Immigrants Between Cultures

By Steve Hendrix
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, July 12, 2009

CONCEPCION CHIQUIRICHAPA, Guatemala -- Leaving Guatemala 12 years ago was the hardest thing Carlos Sanchez had ever done.

Until he decided to come back.

Sanchez still remembers the day he left home: saying goodbye to his parents; leaving his friends; that last tear-stained glimpse of his sweet mountain village in western Guatemala as the bus carried him over the ridge to an uncertain life in "the north." Painful, anxious times.

But not as hard as the return trip. When Sanchez, 36, arrived back in Central America recently, after living a third of his life as an illegal immigrant in suburban Washington, he stepped off the flight from Dulles International Airport into a cultural no man's land. He had been an outlaw migrant in one country; now he was a native-born stranger in the other.

For years, Sanchez had worked all the overtime hours he could handle as a supervisor for a granite counter contractor in Springfield. Last year, overtime slipped to part time and then almost no time. After months of looking for work, he started looking at airfares.

An expatriate's longing for his native land is often searing. But Sanchez, like thousands of Latino immigrants forced back across the border in recent months by the sinking economy, is learning sooner than he wanted to that going home again can be even more complicated.

Almost at once upon his return, he was felled by a bout of the turistas. His Arlington County-born toddler, Marvin, also took sick, and Sanchez nearly panicked at the difficulty in finding a doctor. His wife, Gladys, was no longer comfortable in the traditional garments of Mayan women, finding them heavy and stiff compared with the Old Navy blouses and jeans she bought at Potomac Mills.

At the airport, they were met by nieces and nephews Sanchez had never seen. Even the elderly couple at the front of the crowd was hard to recognize.

"When I saw my parents for the first time, it was like they were different people," Sanchez said. "I thought everything was going to be the same. I was wrong. Everything is different, including me."

Immigrants jump back and forth across borders all the time, and the recession-driven movement from the United States to points south is not yet registering as a mass exodus. But it is increasingly easy to find workers who have decided that they are better off weathering the downturn in their ancestral homelands.

In Washington, the Guatemalan Embassy reports a substantial uptick in the number of nationals walking in to apply for travel documents. At U.S. airports, airline agents and government officials describe increased winking and nodding as illegal immigrants "self-deport" with no hassle from authorities.

"When somebody is already showing that they intend to depart the United States, it doesn't serve any interest for us to serve them a notice to appear before an immigration court," said Lloyd Easterling, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection. "That isn't good stewardship of tax dollars."

At Valdemar Travel in Takoma Park, the proportion of one-way air tickets south has reached unprecedented levels, nearing 60 percent of the firm's business earlier this year, manager Devin Reyes said.

Some go back with substantial grubstakes, driving home through Mexico in late-model trucks packed with Xboxes and flat-screen TVs. Others return as poor as the day they left. Reyes recalls a haggard laborer who came in for a ticket to El Salvador but was well short of the $400 fare. Other customers tossed tens and twenties on the counter, closing the gap.

Sanchez, though, had been sending home extra money -- about $50,000 over six years -- to build a cement-block house next to his parents' home. In three rooms and a bath next to the yard where his mother grinds corn and cooks over an open fire, he works to overcome the lingering cultural vertigo. "Sometimes I don't know just where I am," he said.

Sanchez liked Washington life. When he arrived, he had never ridden an airplane or even an elevator. He had never walked on carpeting. But he mastered the Metro and liked shopping at the Chinese market on North Glebe Road in Arlington and seeing movies at Tysons Corner. He worked six days most weeks but made time for occasional weekend trips to Virginia Beach or Atlantic City. Family members visited the mall often, and Six Flags once.

They had cable. Sanchez misses the History Channel. Marvin misses Elmo.

He learned English, mostly at two-hour classes at the public library in Clarendon. And he learned to drive. He loved the orderly traffic -- a stark contrast to Guatemala's pell-mell road culture, where old American-made school buses, tattooed in bright colors and fitted with bellowing air horns, are buses-gone-wild. No stop-at-every-railroad-crossing caution here.

"I still try to be careful," Sanchez said. "I stop when children are crossing the road. And they honk at me."

He met his wife in Arlington, where he was surprised one day to see a woman walking along dressed in a huipile, a traditional Mayan blouse, embroidered, amazingly, in the colors and patterns particular to his home village. There, at Pershing Drive and North Glebe, Sanchez chatted up a girl from Concepción in their native Indian language of Mam.

In Washington, Sanchez lived in a Guatemalan bubble. Immigrants tend to follow each other to U.S. cities, and a huge proportion of Guatemalans in Washington come from certain villages of the Western Highlands. Those from Excumucha, for example, live mostly in Langley Park. Those from next-door Concepción make Arlington their base.

Carlos had no stronger link to home than his big brother, Adrian, who went north first. Carlos followed a year later, borrowing about $5,500 to pay the coyotes, the ruthless fixers who hid him in an empty tank truck for hours, sharing a tiny air hole with dozens of panicked migrants.

Neither brother was eager to take a dangerous trip to an unknown future. But their father, an education-minded tailor, needed to pay school fees for the boys' seven siblings, and the lure of big northern wages was too tempting. Adrian and Carlos, working together as painters, began sending home as much as $500 a month.

That all six boys and three girls have graduated from high school is remarkable by village standards. That two of the boys went on to medical school is spoken of as something of a local miracle. One is finishing his residency in the capital, Guatemala City. The other has started a rural practice, driving a 1987 Nissan pickup that Carlos shipped down for $650.

From thousands of miles away, the brothers managed to start a Red Cross chapter in Concepción. Going door-to-door in Arlington and holding a dance fiesta in Langley Park, they raised $14,000, bought a used Chevy van, fitted it with emergency lights and shipped it to the village, where years later it still does duty.

When Carlos, working a painting gig at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, was invited to apply for a permanent job on the maintenance staff there, he knew he would be sunk as soon as they asked for a Social Security number. But Adrian had married a U.S. citizen and become one himself. So Carlos filled out the application in his brother's name. Adrian was called in and soon landed a good job with benefits.

Then the bottom fell out for Carlos.

His family in Guatemala still needs the cash Carlos used to send home, and he had wanted his son to attend Arlington schools. But Sanchez felt compelled to give up his apartment in Arlington's Buckingham Village and head south. "My goal was always to come back one day, but I thought it wouldn't be for several more years," he said. "I felt comfortable there, I felt safe. But I couldn't just sit around and not work."

Slowly, Sanchez is catching his breath in his old and new world. Now he strides up the steep streets that used to leave him panting every time he left the house. His stomach has settled, and he delights in the fresh vegetables that come down daily from the terraced fields. Marvin has developed a taste for frijoles and tortillas and chasing chickens around the yard.

Sanchez teaches typing at his house each Saturday on 27 manual typewriters his sister stockpiled for him over the years. And he landed a day job teaching English in a local high school.

Sanchez feels lucky to be surrounded by family; his parents dote on their Americanized son and American-born grandson. But he misses his brother. Adrian, with his golden U.S. passport, has visited once, and they often speak by phone. That keeps Carlos, emotionally at least, with one foot in Washington.

"As long as he is there," he said, "I feel like half of me is there, too."

www.washingtonpost.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I can hardly see through my streaming tears to type this. Too bad the illegal invasion of our sovereign nation has left me with zero to no sympathy for any invaders. Buh-bye.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

MW
    builditnow wrote:

I can hardly see through my streaming tears to type this.
    Do you need a tissue for that issue? I'll gladly share mine (boo-hoo, sniff-sniff).

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

From the responses to this story
    dubya19391 wrote:
    "cry me a rio grande. illegals drive down wages for all other workers."

And it would be even worse if they did not leave their home countries, where salaries are far lower than in the US. That would merely accelerate the rush of work out of the US to these cheap markets.

It's a sad thing that so many Americans have a weak-ass grasp of economics and business-management theory, because they sure can vote in droves, and vote stupidly at that. But the facts remain. Many American businesses and many Americans are surviving now because of illegal labor in the US. Without that labor, the only thing stopping the exodus of work out of the country would be the lack of a US market for the goods and services of foreign workers.
    Yea, yea, we've all heard this a hundred times. But what this pro-illegal idiot fails to mention is that there are businesses here in the US that can't leave and take their labor elsewhere. Lawyers, Doctors, Mechanics, Store Clerks, Bank Tellers, the list goes on. If the illegal aliens weren't allowed in this country, those jobs that can't be outsourced like Landscapers and Construction jobs would open up to the millions of citizens who are unemployed. Let's face it, those companies who can leave for cheaper labor (which leads to sloppier quality) have all just about left. So what this biased, ignorant OBLer is saying is the same old propaganda. Barring illegal aliens from this country is not going to prompt an exodus of companies to other countries..most of that is already done.

You want to see salaries drop in the US? Seal the borders. Moving work out of the country that can be performed by unskilled labor leaves more money to be invested in work that has to be done by skilled workers.
    From a business point of veiw, this may be true, but what the author fails to mention is that the cheaper labor produces less quality and that extra pool of money for more skilled labor would disapper becuase of the lesser demand by educated consumers. If something breaks that you bought from Walmart, you'd be fool to go back there and buy the same damn thing to replace what broke.

The only problem is that that would be one less excuse for fat, dumb and lazy Americans to not educate themselves and become skilled workers in a contemporary market.
    Again, here's a poor, slobbering tribble that is non-productive in nature and bashes American citizens because this is all the author can think of as to why we here in the US have such a hard time getting retrained. This is not an easy process for the average American citizen who has a family. Getting retrained for meaningful and gainful employment is a very costly procedure and although loans and grants are available, most of the time it is not enough to sustain an ongoing monthly household budget. The author would rather bash US citizens than to mention the hardships that accopany the retraining process. The author has all of the sympathy in the world for illegal aliens, but none for US citizens out of work. The next statement by the author is proof.

Instead of hearing a whine story about illegals who can't go home again, you'd hear yet another whine story about Americans who can't get a good job.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    builditnow wrote:

Do you need a tissue for that issue? I'll gladly share mine (boo-hoo, sniff-sniff).

Thats just how I looked after I read it.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

So this guy used his brothers SS# to get a job?A good example of why we need E-Verify AND No-Match from Social Security because E-Verify alone may not have detected this kind of ID theft.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Funny, I now feel like a stranger in my homeland too.....BUT I NEVER WENT ANYWHERE!
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Quote Originally Posted by kniggit
    Funny, I now feel like a stranger in my homeland too.....BUT I NEVER WENT ANYWHERE!
    Good point. Of course no sob stories about us. Instead we are made out to be the villians.

Quote Originally Posted by builditnow
    builditnow wrote:

Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    Quote Originally Posted by builditnow
    builditnow wrote:

Still sobbing........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast