Girl describes attempted assault

By: GEORGE MATTAR
Bucks County Courier Times

The charges against Mauricio Rodriguez Vilchis were upheld for trial.

The 11-year-old girl didn't stammer. She didn't cry. She just told her story of how she awoke to find a man kneeling next to her bed and attempting to put his hand down her pants.

"I've had 40-year-olds not as smart as this girl,'' Assistant District Attorney Blake Jackman said after Thursday's preliminary hearing for Mauricio Rodriguez Vilchis on attempted rape and false imprisonment charges, along with burglary and several related offenses.

"I woke up and saw him and then pretended to be asleep. He tried to put his hand under the covers and covered my mouth and told me not to tell anyone. He then touched the belt buckle on my jeans I was wearing," she testified in the Middletown courtroom of District Judge John J. Kelly Jr. "When he told me to not say anything, he made a motion with his index finger and thumb, like a gun.''

The child's words were enough for Kelly to send the case against the Morrisville man to Bucks County court for trial.

Suzette Adler, the public defender for Vilchis, had requested the charges be dropped.

"Holding your hand over a child's mouth is a form of false imprisonment, and he touched her pants, all charges are held for trial," Kelly said.

The 11-year-old told the court that she was at a house party at Shady Brook Farm on Nov. 12 and went to bed about 9 p.m. She said she heard something pushing against the bedroom window, but didn't know what it was. Next thing she knew, Vilchis appeared next to the bed, she testified.
Advertisement Click Here!

After the encounter with Vilchis, 22, an illegal immigrant who lives in the 600 block of Lincoln Avenue, she remained in bed the rest of the night, she testified.

The noise the child heard was a window air conditioner being pushed out of the window, testified Efrian Valdez, who lives in the Shady Brook house.

He testified that he spotted the air conditioner on a couch along with other items strewn about the morning after the party.

Through a Spanish interpreter, he said at first he thought a strong wind pushed the unit out of its window, but then thought it was possibly a burglary.

When police first questioned Vilchis, Bensalem Detective David Nieves Jr. was called in because of his Spanish-speaking ability.

Nieves testified Thursday that Vilchis told him he went to the house with the intention of having sexual relations with the girl.

"He also told me he drank several beers, Bud Light," Nieves said. "He told me he had his hand around her waist area, but did not have sex with her because she woke up,'' he added.

Jackman said a detainer on Vilchis has been filed with Immigration Customs Enforcement. "Once we're done with him, then he has to answer to ICE officials," Jackman said. "His bail is $250,000, but he isn't going anywhere. Based on a detainer, he is denied bail."

January 23, 2009 02:10 AM

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/c ... sault.html